Unofficial Week In Review: Vol 2 Issue 7 - Answers & Racing

1. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer May 16, 2021

BobbyV8_ , May 16, 2021 :
    Answers & racing.png
    Previously in WIR, we spoke about Theme store OEF, Upgrades to OnePlus Watch, Clipt, Apple Vs Epic & PUBG back in India. I say that’s an interesting wrap, let’s see what we have up for discussions this week.

The Classroom.png
    Last week we had our first Community Workshop, Nabil Rosman tutored about clicking portraits. Oh, boi! I was impressed by the level of detail he gave to attain ‘True Color’ and the article sounded like you don’t need a OnePlus 9 Pro with a Hasselblad camera to attain naturally stunning portraits.

This week, we have the opportunity to ✋ and get some of our doubts answered. It comes with the perk of a sneak peek at the next class. We have time till 18th May, get your doubts cleared while the teacher is still here

FAQ.png
    When a product comes out into the market it comes with excitement and questions among the enthusiasts. This time around, we have our Experts deal with our questions for the 9 Series. @the_o2 put in front of us, answers to a lot of our questions answered by ‘Staff’. Kudos for the efforts.

It was some fine knowledge and I’m also curious if OnePlus will be sending me a high-speed camera and an oscilloscope to admire the 1Hz LTPO Fluid Display 2.0.

I know this isn’t a racing season, but OnePlus has gotten into racing with an inhouse built racecar mobile ‘OnePlus 9R’ aka OnePlus 9 Racing. Can they beat the McLaren with this insanely hot flagship Racing Machine? Should we hire Sebastian Vettel or bring Michael Schumacher out of retirement!!

Out of Stock.png
    The latest flagship from OnePlus, 9 Pro is out of stock (Only on the OnePlus India store). We don’t see any rumours or leaks of the next device ‘yet’, nor there is any news of technical issues with the latest flagship. A few days back, we observed that the LAB reviewers had a hard time getting their hands on the device. Safe to say that this could be because of manufacturing difficulties or OnePlus is having a hard time believing their own store and logistics.

Let us ask our experts @Caoimhín @Swejuggalo and @the_o2 if it will be back on shelves after peace is restored or is it MIA? Also, have you managed to get your device yet?

Who.png
    Legal matter and wordings are a bit boring. But @Bobbie63 has done some interesting digging into the legal presence of OnePlus in the EU and raised few questions when some additional charges were charged to a user on his credit card for some reason. While the topic is still open for debate, the probability is that ‘payments were taken out of the region’

While I am someone who does a lot of tax planning, ‘probable’ Bobbie put in front of us aren’t comfortable from a moral standpoint for me. A company is bound to have a corporate social responsibility to the community it does business in. It was never / never will be fair to route their funds to a different legal boundary marked as tax heavens.

I would support Bobbie in asking “Who is OnePlus in the EU ?” and hope our probabilities turn false.

GOTW.png
    OnePlus CS has been criticised a lot of times. But this time, I’m proud to say a CS executive bagged our prestigious ‘Genius of The Week’ award by finding a way to upgrade 5G bands over a software update.

Yes, you read that right. A OnePlus executive said that 5G bands can be added to the Indian variant at a later time over a software update. Maybe it’s time for our Experts and the OnePlus Staff to step down and let the CS take the front seat.
    Smells like this could've caused 9 Pro to go out of stock!!
    Thank Mukul Sharma for the nomination.
    CS Screenshot.jpg

What's happening in the tech world out of the OnePlus forums?

SD 888.png
    With Power comes heat, or they say so. We’ve seen this on laptops, desktops and started seeing it on mobiles with reports showing SD 888 as a cause for heat on Mi 11 and other devices using the SoC. However, this isn't the first time overheating surfaced due to SoC. MediaTek was notoriously known for overheating chipsets and Snapdragon had some too.

Should we start seeing nitrogen cooling systems in mobiles to beat the heat?

Nothing.png
    Nothing teased their first product, the Ear 1 TWS. The stems aren’t ugly, but neither as interesting as the transparent concept shown in the past. “The product is a combination of iconic form, transparency, and refined functionality” as per Carl.

What do you want to see from Pei? A transparent TWS or a long flat stem with red/grey circles on the buds? While Carl gives OnePlus Buds a run for the money, can he do that with big players in the industry?

The Next Pixel.png
    We have some renders of Pixel 6 & 6 Pro, that’s some new and interesting design I would say. A nice, big, and black camera bump below an orange strip. What magic hardware did you stuff in there Google!!

A deeper discussion is going on here

Airtags.png
    When Airtags were announced, they were seen as good trackers of our wallets, keys and even pets. Little could we suspect they can be used to monitor history or even live location of persons potentially becoming ‘stalk’ tags. An experiment by a user who slid an airtag into a mail and sent it to a friend made it clear that it can be (mis)used to geo track anything/anyone.

There have been such trackers in the past, but with Apple Airtags, the business kicked open a next-level security threat and I can only be worried about ways to misuse than to use these.

Whatsapp.png
    15th May was the last day to accept Whatsapp’s new privacy policy. What happens to users that did not accept their updated policy? We have that answered, user accounts will not be deleted. Users can still make and receive calls while they don’t have access to chats but can backup them. This will be allowed for few weeks and the Inactive account policy will be applied to such users.

In short, these accounts suffer a slow death instead of a sudden one. This still is a bad thing for privacy.

I’ll wave this week off by thanking you and asking, please tag me @B_Wrath @Shivang Joshi @SJBoss if you find anything WIR worthy.
    Simba is waiting for playtime to start after I complete this week's review
    Waiting.jpg

P.S:
    @Christine L. got us some lengthy Case & Charger surveys.
    The specially promoted Alcantara case lacked quality, also sad that I can't buy it again. Hope these surveys address such issues.

2. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 16, 2021

Bobbie63 , May 16, 2021 :
    Oh wow, I got mentioned in the Unofficial WIR and it wasn't for being nominated as Genius of the Week. :oops:
    Thanks again guys for the very nice read. I must say I haven't got a message from WhatsApp to accept the new policy though.

Last edited: May 16, 2021

SRD., B_Wrath, SJBoss and 7 others like this.
  3. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 16, 2021

the_o2 , May 16, 2021 :
    Very well written thread :)

Thanks it means alot for me, infact it was my first thread which got pinned :D, so I was really happy, thanks to Mods, SPE and device experts for all the questions and @dsmonteiro for putting forward those questions to Staff Members 🙏🏻, I just complied the thread indeed.
    Thanks to Mods, expert and DSM again :)

Already ordered, expected delivery date is 21st of May :cool: (and the same day I suppose to get the first dose of the vaccine as well 😊)
    I can confirm rest of two are already enjoying the Pro :D

And for Indian stock, I have no idea about that but the phone was in stock in past couple of days. Hope to see more stocks in near future already seen so many questions related to that :p

Thanks for unofficial WIR, keep doing this.
    Stay safe and healthy :)

NShankaraN, SRD., puccellino and 8 others like this.
  4. BobbyV8_

Competition was tough this week, you're no where near. CS hit a home run.

Thank you!

EU got some exceptions I guess?

Congratulations! & thanks to all those contributed.
    But, are they serious about 'Racing'? :tearsofjoy:

That's some progress! Or lucky!!
    Good to hear about your vaccine too.

About stock, could there be an unannounced upgrade for 5G bands?

SRD., SJBoss, Dresa91 and 5 others like this.
  5. the_o2

the_o2 , May 16, 2021 :
    That's is what our reactions, but is what it is :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

Via software updates? 😅
    No, and only 9Pro is out of stock not the 9 and both have same 5G bands in India.
    And don't worry CS will tell us if there any unannounced upgrades ;)

NShankaraN, SRD., SJBoss and 5 others like this.
  6. BobbyV8_

I'd appreciate if they can add SD 888 on my device over a software update.

Funny, Apple denies to fix a software issue and calls it hardware failure while OnePlus can fix hardware issues over OTA

Maybe Pro is worth the extra efforts :p

SRD., SJBoss, Dresa91 and 4 others like this.
  7. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 May 16, 2021

SRD., SJBoss, Dresa91 and 6 others like this.
  8. McJader
    Marshmallow May 16, 2021

McJader , May 16, 2021 :
    I still find it hilarious, I would really want to meet the kid who named it😂😂

SRD., SJBoss, Dresa91 and 4 others like this.
  9. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow May 16, 2021

Bobbie63 , May 16, 2021 :
    From wat I've heard, WhatsApp refuse to give in but I think there are still some fights going on, so maybe that's the reason.

SJBoss, Dresa91, Caoimhín and 2 others like this.
  10. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , May 16, 2021 :
    "high-speed camera and an oscilloscope to admire the 1Hz LTPO Fluid Display 2.0"

An interesting note... Read claims on Samsung S21 Ultra is able to show the real refresh rate via the same feature. If it's correct it should be possible here too

SJBoss, Dresa91, the_o2 and 2 others like this.
  11. BobbyV8_

'not even that' scares me! So there's a little cynicism that I'd need to tone down, point noted.

You're asking an AMA with the person who named 9R.

Legal issues, as I remember. We'll wait and see how it goes.

However, it will really be an interesting experiment to show this.
    @dsmonteiro can it be demonstrated in a thread with video and pictures?

SJBoss, Dresa91, the_o2 and 1 other person like this.
  12. McJader
    Marshmallow May 16, 2021

McJader , May 16, 2021 :
    Yes🤣😂

13. BobbyV8_

14. Shailender Sharma
    Nougat May 16, 2021

Shailender Sharma , May 16, 2021 :
    Thanks @BobbyV8_ for the Unofficial WIR.:)

Home run or Self goal. :rolleyes:

Thatswhy, OnePlus came up fast to mop up the bad publicity on social media platforms with :D
    Calling the photographers and camera enthusiasts! #YourBestShot

SJBoss, Dresa91, the_o2 and 3 others like this.
  15. BobbyV8_

Mr. Sarcasm takes the front seat in our rides. So yeah, home run.

Forget it, see we have a contest. Doesn't work.

SJBoss, Dresa91, the_o2 and 3 others like this.
  16. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 May 16, 2021

Mr. BG , May 16, 2021 :
    No, no, it's spot on, I like a bit of irony/cynicism/sarcasm if applicable.

I like your subtlety here, it need not always be full retard mode, IYKWIM..

SJBoss, Dresa91, the_o2 and 4 others like this.
  17. BobbyV8_

That's assuring & encouraging! :)

SJBoss, Dresa91 and Bobbie63 like this.
  18. McJader
    Marshmallow May 16, 2021

19. BobbyV8_

20. McJader
    Marshmallow May 16, 2021

McJader , May 16, 2021 :
    Nice, I've seen some great pictures on your IG too;)