Unofficial Week In Review: Volume 2 Issue 16 - Sycophants Everywhere & SoniaB's Reign Ends

1. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jul 18, 2021

Tokolozi , Jul 18, 2021 :
    ADEA288E-A983-4AA6-BEBE-E4F64E8EC9D9.jpeg

Good day community to another edition of the sycophant weekly UWIR. As always we gathered some fun and interesting topics across the forum and internet, so let’s get right to it and start the discussion.

It’s a Feature, We Promise!

After the previous weeks’ drama around the throttling of apps on the 9-series, @Pete or should I say @Evan Z. finally gave us an explanation what, how and why they did it. You can read the explanation of the bug, or should I say feature in the official thread right here.

However, a few users felt like this came a little too late. If it’s indeed an intended feature, which in theory sounds great to save battery and reduce heat, Wouldn’t you market it as such from the beginning? With some optimisation and user feedback it could probably be something great to preserve system resources. But, as others suggested, it might be nice to have a toggle or power saver modes to switch between the different profiles on a per-app basis. However, on the 888’s you’ll probably still get throttling, albeit thermal if this “feature” was not implemented.

For my own opinion, the issue is more that it was hidden from users. In all honesty, I saw little complaints about app performance around here the days prior to the “leak”. So it seems, to at least some extent, the internal testing done by the development team helped avoid actual noticeable performance issues.

Is it really an problem for everyone complaining about it, or are we experiencing a mass Baader-Meinhof phenomenon here?

Oxygen (Icon) Necessities

upload_2021-7-18_9-32-49.png

In another thread, that went on way longer than it should, our Bro @Racershafi made clear how important the OxygenOS icon in the updater is for him. Even after Staff, Moderator and Device Expert explanations on why he doesn’t have it, he still continued making clear what he needs. 5 Pages it seemed the app reached it’s conclusion, but still no Oxygen Icon for him.

Luckily it wasn’t posted in the general support section, just imagine how many pages it would have had if out resident RP-hunters found it. I’m pretty sure a factory reset would have helped him get his much needed Oxygen icon according to the regular spammers of the support section.

Discount Marketing

upload_2021-7-18_9-34-52.png

On twitter, one fellow felt fooled by the discount provided on the web store of Oneplus. On close inspection of the box it seemed the discounted price he paid actually matches the MSRP of the product printed right on the box.

It’s a tactic used by retailers all over the world sadly, but clearly China is the one to blame here as Tadhiyal states. Let’s face it, I think everyone fell for one of these tricks once before, I’m sure most Europeans know about the Mediamarkt pricing shenanigans around the sales periods or the Americans with their black Friday “deals”…. Should falling for these tricks really make us all fools though? That’s up for discussion.

I hope the case is worth it’s price, even though it’s stated value wasn’t as big as initially described.

upload_2021-7-18_9-37-16.png

Online Shopping, Harder Than it Seems

While on the topic of ordering things in the web store… It seems some users can use some explanation on how exactly that works again. Thankfully our resident @B_Wrath could give a step-by-step guide on how to place your order. Let’s hope the buds were on stock, they were a limited edition after all. For further assistance on the topic, it might be useful to read up a bit about it. I’m sure there’s some excellent E-commerce books out there.

Yo Nord, Let Me In!

While the Nord offers us several methods to log in already, it’s seems like there are some other methods needed. Especially ones that would be secure even after your death. For @Bharat291103 the ideal method would be unlocking it with an audible pass phrase, just make sure not to make it some awkward sentence. As @HoLeetihs rightfully pointed out, it might get awkward in some situations….

Do you wish to unlock your phone with your voice, or do you also think Google made the right choice discontinuing this feature some time ago? Maybe if the Nord 2 really does offer everything you’d want/need, they would need to think about implementing this feature before it’s release?

95D1EFA8-8EF6-47E4-BC5E-4DA4BA3B2A53.jpeg

Lexicographer Of The Week

This week we couldn’t really find a Genius to nominate. However, @anesh007 sure did impress us with his knowledge of words… Or should I say word. A few regular users around here (including @McJader and myself) had the honour to be called sycophancy boys in some discussions across the community.

If you don’t know what that means, I wouldn’t be surprised. The word had it’s hay day around the 1800’s, and has declined in usage ever since. I myself had to google it the first time to make sure what it actually meant, but looking at the definition… I’m not so sure Anesh actually knows what it means either… My Guess is, he got tired of using fanboys, and needed a word with an extra syllable.

upload_2021-7-18_9-47-37.png

I’d link some places where he used it, but honestly every second post of his used it at some point. Just look at his postings if you wants some tips on where and how not to use “Sycophant” and it’s derivatives.

I confident Anesh will love this nomination, he also liked talking about medals and awards. He now has one of his own! There’s competition on the horizon however, so I highly suggest he finally finishes the chapter about sycophants in his lexicon.

upload_2021-7-18_10-6-1.png

Watch That!?

upload_2021-7-18_9-51-50.png

It seems Oneplus India also leaked some planned (?) models of the Oneplus watch for India on the repair costs page. Looks like we’ll be able to see the Cyberpunk 2077 model outside of China as well, along with a Harry Potter one. Let’s hope they’re without bugs and not touched by dark magic like the normal ones were…

The End… Of The Week.

That wraps up this week. I’m sure there’s interesting topics we missed throughout the week, so be sure to leave your own highlights in the comments. If you have some topics you officially want covered by the Unofficial Week In Review team, let @B_Wrath @Shivang Joshi (Where art thou?) @BobbyV8_ @McJader or myself know. We take every nomination in consideration for this weekly post.

Thanks for reading and see you next time,

Toko.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021

2. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 18, 2021

Stickied Post
    B_Wrath , Jul 18, 2021 :
    End of an Era
    Many times, I have a feeling that the name @SoniaB is synonymous to the OnePlus forums. From the day I started being an incog user in the forum (somewhere around 2015), to the day I created an account, and to the first warning points I got (from the forum maasi herself:p), I have seen her around always.:)

The oldies know her as the always helping user who helped them secure the invites (it you are too new, do a Google on it). The newbies know her as the always helping, but firm moderator. And the regulars call her the forum maasi, the forum mom, the Wonder woman, the whole of OnePlus CS team:rolleyes:, etc, etc. :D
    No one can be so calm and still be firm when handling people like myself and @Tobikage :D
    And the amount of help she has given to the disgruntled users who were not helped by the CS, no one would ever do. The patient handling of angry users, the follow ups with the staff, no one would ever do that. That shows the love she has for the community.

Sonia started as a mod way back in March 2015 and after 6 years of mod duties, she is retiring as the Head Moderator:(

Yes, you read that right. She will no more be a mod in the OnePlus forums, starting July 20th. But don't worry. She will stay on as a user and be with us all. :)

So everyone, put your hands together for Sonia! And a big salute to her mod career (can't think of a better word for it and no, she is not paid for the mod duties) :p

Now, that she is no more a mod, maybe I can have a free reign at trolling and maybe she too will (I doubt it though) join in the fun at times:p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021

buntycubal, otto2, cdnfarmer and 55 others like this.
  3. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jul 18, 2021

Does!Compute , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Excellent WIR, you "sycophant boy" ;)

4. Tokolozi

Thank you fellow sycophant!

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2021

Artemus., KaranRIyer, RacerZ and 9 others like this.
  6. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2021

McJader , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Did he?:p
    Screenshot_20210718-133822__01.jpg
    Nope, I don't want to say "Khul ja Sim Sim" in the middle of the street 😂
    (Just google: meaning of Khul ja Sim Sim)
    PSX_20210718_134208.jpg

7. Tokolozi

And thank you for reading it ☺️

Artemus., KaranRIyer, RacerZ and 7 others like this.
  8. Tokolozi

Yes.... No... Maybe I tagged the wrong dude...
    Typical scandal explaining

Just like everything is wrong with OnePlus because @Carl left, @Pete will do all the explaining!

Artemus., KaranRIyer, RacerZ and 12 others like this.
  9. Tokolozi

Check my ninja edits!

10. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2021

Bobbie63 , Jul 18, 2021 :
    But who cares, it's all @Pete 's minions, isn't it?

11. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2021

McJader , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Yep, Pete and his minions:p

12. Tokolozi

Pete is all, we are Pete, Pete is one!

13. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jul 18, 2021

14. rhyd1am
    KitKat Jul 18, 2021

rhyd1am , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Hmmmm nice to see the WIR is becoming educational!

Sycophant - Word of the week, can we expect another word next edition? 🤔

ItsRavi25, KaranRIyer, RacerZ and 9 others like this.
  15. Tokolozi

Most likely we'll go back to Genius' next week, unless @anesh007 has a suggestion!

16. rhyd1am
    KitKat Jul 18, 2021

rhyd1am , Jul 18, 2021 :
    My task this week is going to be inserting the word "Sycophant" into as many conversations as possible.

Here's hoping @anesh007 doesn't disappoint this week then 😁

17. Tokolozi

I think that's the same task Anesh had ;)

18. rhyd1am
    KitKat Jul 18, 2021

rhyd1am , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Hmmm good point, that game has already been played I guess 😕

19. Tokolozi

Maybe you can play it as "correctly" use the word everywhere :)

20. puccellino
    Lollipop Jul 18, 2021

Gor.V, KaranRIyer, RacerZ and 9 others like this.
  21. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jul 18, 2021

Dresa91 , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Thank you my sycophant brother for this WIR (and also the sycophant Team :D )
    You made me laughing:D haha :D

Absolutely a special week:D