Unofficial Week In Review: Volume 2 Issue 17 - Shady Launch Strategies, Welcoming New Mods

1. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

B_Wrath , Jul 25, 2021 :
    IMG_20180818_213430-01-01-01.jpeg

Hello Community! Welcome to another Unofficial Week In Review. We have got quite a few things which happened over the week. Let's dive right to it.

New Product Launches, Shady Launch Strategies?
    It used by at least 6 months between every product launch of OnePlus and it brought in tremendous amount of excitement. But these days, it seems OnePlus is hell bent on launching a product every 2 months or so.
    During the last week, OnePlus has launched the Nord 2 with a Mediatek chipset (a first by it) and also the Buds Pro. Now, there are many threads which discuss the Mediatek chipset, the overused AI moniker and the Buds Pro, so, I won't delve in to it. What I am going to talk about, is the shady practices of the Nord device launches.
    When the Nord was launched, it claimed to have a 6GB version for INR 24,999. To everyone's irk, it never seemed to be in stock and the next cheapest version which was available was the 8GB version which cost INR 3,000 more. This always used to cause an uproar in the forums and multiple threads were created about the availability of the 6GB version.

Now, it seems, OnePlus is back to the same shady tactics. Nord 2 was widely advertised to be starting at INR 27,999. But the catch here is that, the 6GB will be in limited numbers and during the initial sales, it was not available for purchase. Even Amazon had notifications stating the Nord 2 starts from INR 29,999.
    photo6327858021543291979.jpg

The same goes with the Buds Pro launch. The pricing in India is yet to be revealed. My doubts are, they are waiting for the product by @Carl before committing to the price of the product in India.

Now, it is up to you guys to decide if the Nord 2 sales strategy is shady or a brilliant stroke of marketing.

Nord 2 Launched and the Internet Crashes?o_O
    The global internet was down due to a major DNS failure and around 28000+ websites were down, including the forums and the OnePlus website. OnePlus India seized this rare opportunity for free marketing. A brilliant one at that!
    upload_2021-7-25_19-5-43.png

What's Up!? Nothing's Up!
    With the Ear 1 launch looming near, Nothing's app is up on the play store, revealing few of the feature sets the Ear 1 will contain. Funny thing though, there are 25 reviews already for the app where people are cheering up Nothing for a great product launch.:D

Hunter Season and The Genius of The Week
    It seems to be that season of the year again. We have talked about RP hunters in the previous issues. What seems to be an addition is the "Like" hunters.
    OnePlus recently announced a giveaway for celebrating being the Official Smartphone Partner for the PUBG MOBILE WORLD INVITATIONAL 2021. The criteria for winning was the number of likes a post gets (it has always been a controversial method). Few eagle eyed regulars like @Bobbie63 @Dresa91 @TibiTibi and @McJader found out that few of the newbies were creating multiple fake accounts to like their own posts.
    [​IMG]
    One particular user, @Alfin Kausar has created 11 fake profiles in the span of 20 minutes and liked his own post. After the regulars pointed it out, @dsmonteiro was quick to act upon it and changed the rules of the giveaway. I give the GOTW award for him, just for thinking that he can get away with it! I wonder, does he improve his KD by killing duplicate accounts he has created on PUBG!? o_O

This culture of RP hunting and like hunting is ruining the forums. Hope this trend ends for the sake of the community.

Welcoming New Mods! (And calling out for more new ones)
    Last week, we bid farewell to the mod powers of @SoniaB. This week, we welcome new mods (but old faces) to the ranks. We wish @Cheetosdust @cdnfarmer and @Gav_W86 all the best in their new roles. I don't know why I am expecting to see 3000 words warning posts from @Cheetosdust and a pictorial warning from @cdnfarmer :p

Further, @dsmonteiro announced that they want new mods and community experts to join the team. If you think you have it in you, do apply here.

A New Problem, The Same Old Treatment
    A couple of issues back, we had highlighted @Praty_28 's horror of getting a refurbished phone when he ordered a new one. Multiple discussions with admins and staff and two weeks down the line, he has not got any resolution, but only has been blamed that somehow it is his fault. Even after providing solid evidence that OnePlus was at fault here.
    I wonder, if an old member of the community is having such plight, what will be the plight of ones who are new and don't know their way around the community and staffs.
    What's more worrying is, the poor quality standards at the factory and the appalling behavior by the CS.
    I hope @dsmonteiro @Amanda W. and @Tom B. help Praty in getting a swift resolution.

The End!
    That's it folks, for this week's unofficial review. If we have missed any significant or interesting topic from the week, be sure to highlight them in the comments. If you have some topics you officially want covered by the Unofficial Week In Review team, let @BobbyV8_ , @Tokolozi , @Shivang Joshi (still MIA), @McJader or myself know. We take every nomination in consideration for this weekly post.

Thanks for reading. Until next time,
    B_Wrath

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021

2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jul 25, 2021

Tokolozi , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Thanks for the Sunday read, was even informative for me who wasn't as active this week :)

buntycubal, dom_k, SRD. and 14 others like this.
  3. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

McJader , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Great weekly, considering the amount of time you had:p

buntycubal, dom_k, SRD. and 10 others like this.
  4. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Bobbie63 , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Thanks again for the UWIR, a good read as usual.

Let's all pray for @Praty_28, tonight before we go to sleep. I'm sure this will help him more than OnePlus CS.

buntycubal, nerdkabir, dom_k and 11 others like this.
  5. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

B_Wrath , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Had to put this up in an hour, I guess?
    Me neither. It's all thanks to links from @BobbyV8_ and @McJader.
    Breathing will be more helping than Oneplus CS.

6. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

McJader , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Yep, and congratulations for managing it😂

7. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

And that’s just a reflex………..go imagine:rolleyes:

8. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Jul 25, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Awesome read, @B_Wrath and lovely banner, it looks like you are about to drop the hottest mixtape of the Summer. :p

Many thanks for the tag and for the wishes - my face is not that old. :D

buntycubal, nerdkabir, dom_k and 12 others like this.
  9. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

are you sure about that……???:rolleyes:

10. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 25, 2021

BobbyV8_ , Jul 25, 2021 :
    He atleast knew that it's his turn and ended up with 1 Hr! We had unplanned 1 Hrs!!

Followed by 2 mins of silence for CS

Atleast you didn't dump it on us going MIA like someone else 😜

Are you?

There and that completes the week!

nerdkabir, dom_k, the_o2 and 8 others like this.
  11. Cheetosdust
    Moderator Moderator Jul 25, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Indeed, especially when compared to older things. ;)

the_o2, Dresa91, puccellino and 5 others like this.
  12. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Jul 25, 2021

the_o2, Dresa91, Cheetosdust and 4 others like this.
  13. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jul 25, 2021

nerdkabir, dom_k, the_o2 and 9 others like this.
  14. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 25, 2021

Oh well, the mini me of you on my shed wall did look a bit younger.:p

15. Does!Compute
    KitKat Jul 25, 2021

Does!Compute , Jul 25, 2021 :
    Just the perfect end to the week. Great read, like all your other WIRs :)

16. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

the_o2, Dresa91, puccellino and 4 others like this.
  17. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

B_Wrath , Jul 25, 2021 :
    It has a reference. All the marketing for the Nord 2 had that nights ape for claiming that the Nord 2 was superior to others. I clicked that using the old trustworthy OP6.:rolleyes:
    You got to complete your drive! Be happy for that. :p
    The chameleon is MIA for a while. He should write 6 WIR continuously.

18. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

the_o2, Dresa91, puccellino and 2 others like this.
  19. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

SRD., the_o2, Dresa91 and 3 others like this.
  20. B_Wrath
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

B_Wrath , Jul 25, 2021 :
    That's reserved for special people like you:rolleyes:

the_o2, Dresa91, puccellino and 4 others like this.
  21. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 25, 2021

Tobikage , Jul 25, 2021 :
    OnePlus supports cheaters just like themselves........confirmed. :rolleyes: