Unrooting OP5

1. Tyuru
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Tyuru , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Hey guys, so a while back I rooted my OP5. I've since decided I'm not a fan and want to revert back to the original unrooted state. All the tutorials online state that part of the process involves factory resetting the phone and wiping the data for a clean slate. I was wondering if there's a way around this, as I don't want to deal with backing up all my data.

Thanks in advance :)

2. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2019

toastytoast1234 , Jul 16, 2019 :
    This is the type of thing you should consider before rooting your phone. Did the rooting guide you used not mention this?

buntycubal likes this.
  3. Tyuru
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Tyuru , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Not really, I was going on a friend's advice. I was drawn to the opportunities that rooting presented for customisation but after playing around I've found I'm quite content with stock Android, so now having to dirty flash for new updates is just annoying.

4. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2019

A common reaction, no doubt. Has your friend run away now?

buntycubal likes this.
  5. Tyuru
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Tyuru , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Somewhat, he loves having his phone rooted so I figured I'd turn to the collective expertise of the OP forums to see if there's a way to unroot without wiping.

6. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2019

All of that being said, you're asking the wrong question. Even if it was magically possible to do what every single guide & comment is telling you that you can't do - you should still take a backup.

Assuming there's anything on there you even remotely care about, of course.

buntycubal likes this.
  7. Tyuru
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Tyuru , Jul 16, 2019 :
    I do keep backups, I'd just rather not have to wipe my phone, just cause getting everything back to exactly how I had it is such a hassle. I'll do as the online guides say if I have to, but a lot of them seem to be a year or two old and with how fast technology moves, I was hoping maybe there was something I was missing...I guess not.

8. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2019

Hydra Bob , Jul 16, 2019 :
    As long as you haven't made any modifications to the /system or /vendor partitions you can just reflash the stock boot image and you should be good to go. If you're not sure though you could wind up running into problems later on down the road so in that case it would be better to follow the recommended procedure just to be on the safe side.

buntycubal likes this.
  9. Tyuru
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Tyuru , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Yeah, I haven't actively gone into those partitions, but I'm not sure if Substratum would have? I'm pretty new to the whole thing. I might give this a try and if it doesn't work then I'll just go the whole hog.

10. Hydra Bob
    Marshmallow Jul 16, 2019

Hydra Bob , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Yes substratum installs its overlays to system, either uninstall them before you unroot or flash the legacy rescue zip from twrp before you start the process of unrooting or you'll wind up in a bootloop and have to reset to recover.

buntycubal likes this.
  11. Tyuru
    Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Tyuru , Jul 16, 2019 :
    Good to know, thanks for your help! :)

Hydra Bob likes this.