Battery/Charging Unusual Charging Port Issue

1. wanitto
    Cupcake Mar 9, 2020

wanitto , Mar 9, 2020 :
    Hello,

I need some advice.

I'm having issues with OnePlus 3T USB-C Port. I have two original Dash Chargers and two cables, and the issue is the same with all combinations. But it's a very strange one.

In order for the phone to charge (at all), I have to find the perfect cable positioning. I have thoroughly cleaned the port (with a wooden toothpick and a piece of paper).

One would expect that this issue comes from the USB-C port, and that a gentle wiggle/pull/rotation of the plug that goes directly into the port would eventually lead to a comfortable position to leave the phone for it to charge (this is of course not ideal, but I would settle for knowing that if I could wiggle my plug to an e.g. downwards left and slightly pulled out position it will always charge).

However, this does not work. I have tried many different techniques (carefully developed through years of owning crappy phones) of wiggle/pull/rotation and somehow the phone only charges with a seemingly random positioning of the cable itself (an off-shoot of the wiggle/pull/rotation methods, traditionally used for ensuring that the ideal plug-port positioning is kept in place by placing a weight on the cable).

To clarify: I place my phone on a table. I immobilise the first part of the cable (the one leading up to the USB-C port) by placing a finger on it, or taping it down, and then i gently change the position of the remaining parts of the cable until I find a position that starts up the charging.

Both the chargers and the cables have been tested on other devices with no issues. I have also tried using a generic charger and cable on the Oneplus and the issue persists (with the same fix being required). I conclude that it's an issue with the phone itself.

but wtf though.

2. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Mar 10, 2020

Madnezz4Ever , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 10, 2020 :
    More then likely the charging port is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I had the same issue with my 5T where it only would rapid charge if it was in certain positions where there was a little pressure on the USB C end.

I ended up going on Amazon and buying a charging port ribbon cable and tools and changed it myself.

You can also send it in to OnePlus to have it repaired or visit a service center if you can.

3. wanitto
    Cupcake Mar 11, 2020

wanitto , Mar 11, 2020 :
    I'm considering this, but I'm worried that the dash charging won't work after it. Did you have that problem?

4. Madnezz4Ever
    Jelly Bean Mar 11, 2020

Madnezz4Ever , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 11, 2020 :
    After changing the charging port, rapid charge worked perfectly fine. Better then the damaged port.