Unusual WiFi issue (or not?) via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile

1. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Nov 29, 2021 :
    Hello OnePlus world! I purchased my first OnePlus, a Nord N10 5G, about a month ago. For the most part, this has been a wonderful phone!

For about the first week, I experienced an issue with my local WiFi being dropped by the phone randomly about once or twice a day, a problem that seems to have been experienced by others from reading posts here. As I could reconnect quickly by just switching WiFi off and on in the settings, I didn't worry all that much about it.

However, since then the phone has managed to remain connected to my router 100% of the time, no glitches at all. I'm quite happy about this of course, but am also rather surprised. I've had no updates since getting the phone (been on 11.0.2 this entire time), and made no changes to the router. I don't believe I have made any important changes to the settings in that time either.

It may be that the OnePlus WiFi connectivity issue is a very subtle one, involving some obscure environmental or software interaction issue...

2. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Nov 29, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Nov 29, 2021 :
    Reset your Network adapters, see if that helps.
    Settings, System, Reset Options, Reset WiFi Mobile Bluetooth.

Also try the following. If the option is available to you.

Disable "Sleep Standby Optimisation " in the
    Settings, Battery, Battery Optimisation, 3 dots menu top right, Sleep standby optimisation.
    Re-start your device.

Also. Go to Settings, WiFi & Internet, WiFi, WiFi Preferences and disable Intelligently Select the best WiFi.

Also check out additional possible solutions at the link below.
    How To Fix Common Wi-Fi Problems In Android
    https://www.techjunkie.com/fix-wi-fi-problem-android/

Bobbie63, jpietrzak8 and Aaron2017 like this.
  3. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Nov 29, 2021 :
    Thank you! However, as I mentioned in the post above, the problem went away by itself weeks ago. That's the strange thing about it. :)

Caomhin likes this.
  4. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Dec 30, 2021 :
    Well, after more than a month of rock-solid WiFi performance, my N10 has started having trouble with the connection to my router again. I can't tell if it is a signal issue, a security issue, or is trying to connect to a different router; all I can see is that data transfer stops, then the status bar icon shows an exclamation point.

Switching WiFi off and on again immediately fixes the issue.

The WiFi drop has now occurred three times in the last 48 hours. There has been no change in the router, and no updates to the phone. I'm kinda flummoxed as to what is going on here... :)

5. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Dec 30, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Dec 30, 2021 :
    Is it possible something nearby is causing interference, as you said before it went away by itself. Now it has reappeared, has anything changed since it started happening again.

Sometimes it can be down to a neighbouring router WiFi signal crossing yours on the same channels. You could try moving your WiFi Channels on the router 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz as well. Worth checking into. You would need to consult your router manual to see how this can be done.

Here is a WiFi Analyser I use to check mine once in a while.
    https://vremsoftwaredevelopment.github.io/WiFiAnalyzer/

Check the Faqs and other details on there to find out how to utilise the app.

It can be installed from the Playstore
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer

jpietrzak8 and Bobbie63 like this.
  6. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Dec 30, 2021 :
    I already installed an analyzer from the last time this happened. I checked just a few minutes after the most recent event, but there was no signal even approaching the strength of my router. It is possible that there was some transient interference; however, if so it did not disturb the other WiFi devices currently using the same router. :(

Caomhin likes this.
  7. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Dec 30, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Dec 30, 2021 :
    Has it coincided with an OOS update, App install or update of some sort. Also, have you retried the suggestions in my original reply from a month ago.

If you have tried them, then the only other suggestion would be to send Bug reports and give Feedback on the issues back to the OnePlus OOS developers. So that they can investigate them.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

And you can also contact OnePlus support directly to see if they have more information on your issue. Scroll down the page for Email, Phone contact and online Chat details.
    https://www.oneplus.com/support

jpietrzak8 likes this.
  8. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Dec 30, 2021 :
    There have been no OS or app updates that I have noticed. The phone is still on 11.0.2, or at least the settings report that. I haven't really tried any aggressive remedial action yet, as a quick WiFi off-on brings everything back to normal (it is working just fine right now to post this message).

Caomhin likes this.
  9. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Dec 30, 2021 :
    An update: "intelligently select the best WiFi" is off. I reset the WiFi (which ended up turning "WiFi calling" back on, something I've also been having problems with, so I had to turn that back off). After a reboot this morning, the issue popped up once again. Analyzer once again showed an interference-free environment.

I've now switched off "sleep standby optimization". We'll see if that helps.

Caomhin likes this.
  10. jpietrzak8 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G T-Mobile , Dec 31, 2021 :
    Another update: problem has reoccurred with "sleep standby optimization" turned off. No interference visible on analyzer.

I guess I will go ahead and submit a bug report to OnePlus. (Given that my phone is still on 11.0.2, maybe I'll be lucky and they already have a fix moving through the update pipeline for this.)

Caomhin likes this.
  11. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Dec 31, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Dec 31, 2021 :
    Hopefully they will, just strange it worked fine for so long and reappeared.

jpietrzak8 likes this.