Update on Color Filter Camera

1. MarkusRanz
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 29, 2020

MarkusRanz , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 29, 2020 :
    how dumb they act on this🤦‍♂️...
    i dont get it... First they add a useless camera for adding Up costs then they disable it and Invest Software recources in it because of Fake News...

they should concentrate on real Bugs and New features

thedarkpresence_ likes this.
  2. everkurt
    Honeycomb May 29, 2020

Last edited: May 29, 2020

blysmth likes this.
  3. dcbii
    Cupcake May 29, 2020

dcbii , May 29, 2020 :
    I just made sure to disable all automatic updates on my phone. Who on earth will want to install an "update" that disables things? Anyone?

P1557906576009 likes this.
  4. YASINMARFANI
    Froyo May 29, 2020

YASINMARFANI , May 29, 2020 :
    if any oneplus 8 pro camera is disabled in india than I will cancel my plan of buying OP8pro

5. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , May 29, 2020 :
    And? What's going on? Let's remind all the events so far:

1. Everyone finds out about "see through" feature.

Result: users are pleasantly surprised and love it, mass media and minorities scream about "x-ray and undressing"

2. OnePlus claims it will work on it and apologies to sb. For whom are those apologies?

Result: users are upset and start to fill with perplexity and anger, mass media keep screaming "OnePlus will disable x-ray camera" and whine about nothing.

3. OnePlus rolls out new update, where it disables the monochrome filter.

Result: users are completely outraged and feel left behind, the situation is heating up. Meanwhile mass media is poring gas into fire with headlines "1+ DISABLES X-RAY. It fooled its clients, though it claimed to disable it only in Hydrogen Os"

My conclusion: OnePlus, how many fails and wrong moves need to be done with this camera in order to feel pleased? Stop now and listen to those, who pay money.

1590759266596.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2020

6. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop May 29, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 29, 2020 :
    Come on... They disable the photochrom filter temporary. I really doubt that lens is ONLY for photochrom filter. As some have mentioned... It acts like a supportive lens too (everything else would just be stupid and a waste of money and time).
    I hope they release an informative post about this so people don't need to guess or complain about a wasted inactive lens or "lens only to add costs" or similar.
    I haven't even recived my phone yet... That is my complaint [e]1f609[/e] The filter itself is nice and somewhat limited use for me and when it returns with some tweaks I'll probably try it a few times and then say "oh well... It works. Let's see if I ever use it again". If it actually works as a supportive sensor it's awesome and much more useful than just the photochrom filter.

otto2 likes this.
  7. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2020

They disable it temporary to do some tweaks over it. I think there would be no more "see through" option. That's the main complain, it's not OK. No matter how shiny they will make the "informative post", that would be another opportunity for mass media to put them in the dirt and bend once again.

8. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop May 29, 2020

Guess we see how much they "bend" eventually. Don't really know how they should tweak this.
    If they wanted media attention they did it very effectively [e]1f609[/e]

9. David Y.
    Product Marketing Staff Member May 29, 2020

Stickied Post
    David Y. , May 29, 2020 :
    Hi otto, my apologies for any confusion, but this OTA inadvertently went out to a limited number of devices. We will re-enable that filter in the next OTA.

Aman18grim, otto2, Sahilk0369 and 3 others like this.
  10. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop May 29, 2020

Hope we get to clear up the discussion about what the lens does other than that filter. Many assumptions and speculations right now

otto2 and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  11. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2020

Exactly. I would add some words regarding this. During the past few days I've seen lots of awful news regarding 1+ fails and understatements on many resources. And all of them were just in a row. Here are some of them:

1. OnePlus owners complain regarding Google Chrome freezing for half a year - no respond from the company. (Not my words)
    2. OnePlus cheated its users with "x-ray". The claimed, they would limit its functionality only for Chinese clients, but they lied. (Not my words again)
    3. OnePlus isn't capable of producing enough phones to please customer's demand. Sales were postponed as production was temporarily suspended. (Those are not my words).
    4. OnePlus stops partnership/collaboration with McLaren. No statement from 1+, however McLaren just recently officially CONFIRMED THIS.
    5. OnePlus told about 90fps Fortnite exclusivity for the 8 series. The same day lots of resources inform that 90fps are available only with Minimal settings, low resolution and frame drops. 1+ confirmed this the next with additional information. Dsmonteiro added this into faq. They didn't want to share these points, and now they face the dirt for understatement.

I definitely forgot sth, while I was writing, but the list can go on and on. I don't understand, why I should find out about the majority of the" fails" from some media resources or even internet yellow press. And only the next day/never/in a few days OnePlus gives response.

I don't affirm, that all of those are real things (like for example, Chrome is lagging everywhere...), however the tendency and the frequency of such news is killing me. Unfortunately, some of them are totally true and I agree with them. What hurts even more is that I find this out from 3rd party resources first and only later or never from 1+.

And thanks God, that 1+ didn't make official statement regarding 2 open betas in a row for 7/7T series being pulled back. Otherwise I would have expected some dirty headlines.

12. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop May 29, 2020

2. Wonder why the update existed to begin with but...

View attachment 1324934

ASCHENTE_V likes this.
  13. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2020

14. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop May 29, 2020

15. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 29, 2020

No, I referred to 1+ late response, shitty media and recent fails[e]1f602[/e]

16. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop May 29, 2020

Late update posts. Late responses. Consistency 😋
    I'm pretty hard to get annoyed I guess. More annoyed by crappy YouTube videos about the "x-ray" camera than on Oneplus.

YASINMARFANI and P1557906576009 like this.
  17. Ozymandias_Osiris , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 30, 2020 :
    I feel that these days people complain too much about everything ,the filter didn't really shows anything,not sure if they already fixed it in the latest update,but I tested it and didn't show anything.

18. chubs12
    Gingerbread May 30, 2020

chubs12 , May 30, 2020 :
    Yeah, for sure this happens. Not always though.. seems to be specific scenarios but cant really figure it out.

19. G1590883407431
    Cupcake May 31, 2020

G1590883407431 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 31, 2020 :
    Hi David, do you know when this update might be coming out? I was setting up my phone when I came out, so I got to try out the IR camera/photo chrome filter only once before the update took it away!

Alternatively, is there any way to downgrade from the broken upgrade?

Thanks!

YASINMARFANI likes this.
  20. otto2
    Photography Expert May 31, 2020

otto2 , May 31, 2020 :
    You can always use the MSM Tool, but all your data will be gone, so this is not an ideal solution.

@David Y. : Thank you for the heads up.

Found myself today using the photochrome camera more and more, it can make our view wider and open up our minds.
    IMG_20200531_114049_001.jpg

IMG_20200531_112854_001.jpg

IMG_20200531_112757_001.jpg

IMG_20200531_112818_001.jpg

Shot today on Oneplus 8 Pro, photochrome camera, no edits, no additional filters. Location: Along the river banks of the rhine, model: Ricco the dog.

Edit:
    Added one picture shot on automode - check the difference - i prefer the photochrome, it lets our minds focus in a different way.

IMG_20200531_114055_001.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2020

David Y., drl431, blysmth and 3 others like this.