Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jul 8, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Yeah a horrible new way
    I like this:
    [​IMG]
    But what I really like is this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bikerboy360, ASCHENTE_V and script like this.
  2. mojoyoyo77

Now it has more resolution, yes, but worse quality and nothing exciting.

Put the new as an option on the Pro camera and leave the IR camera as it was

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020

ASCHENTE_V and script like this.
  3. A1594220384811
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020

A1594220384811 , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Swejuggalo, the 5MP IR/Photochrome camera has been effectively disabled even if it technically works. Don't try to claim otherwise.

Its like you bought house with 4 windows with 1 of those nicely tinted. Then people complained that you have been watching through tinted window. Now builder of the house installs 90% opaque film over tinted window and tells you can see through but only if sun is shining. Go use other windows, no harm done, company says. The room with tinted window is now dark.

It is possible to buy IR cameras separately for phones. So effectively disabling the 5MP camera solves nothing. We have paid for the camera and we want it work properly! I do have legimate usage for the camera.

Goodbye for OnePlus for removing sold feature. If OnePlus doesn't restore the 5MP camera the way it worked before OnePlus 8 Pro is my last OnePlus phone. Also I will refund the phone. In EU we have laws protecting customers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020

4. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 8, 2020

5. mojoyoyo77

I don't want to root my device, I want OnePlus to be reasonable and get the camera back, what they have done is pointless

6. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Disabled as a single lens yes.

I don't think IR or see through plastics and stuff ever was the inteended idea though. While some enjoyed the side effects some screamed and overreacted. So here we are now...
    For those that enjoyed the feature we can only hope single lens photochrom is possible in some way... For now it only seems root and GCam may solve that for us.

Personally the lens was only usable to check some IR stuff at work, at some rare moments. And see through plastic was mostly just cool.

I don't really know why they call it photochrom.... If you Google it you find stuff on making black and white becoming color photos.

Platin117 likes this.
  7. Avishek2882
    Froyo Jul 8, 2020

Avishek2882 , Jul 8, 2020 :
    the new update is very bad one plus is just cheating all peoples also it does not allows to take pictures inside which does not makes sense, do not buy anymore one plus devices as put lot of own bad experience everywhere to aware peoples about their work so that no one gets in the trap of these cheaters until they return back IR camera to work properly.

8. A1594220384811
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020

IR camera is still effectively disabled despite whatever you say Swejuggalo.
    If you don't have usage for the camera doesn't mean other people don't have usage for the camera.
    Effectively disabling IR camera decrease value of the OnePlus 8 Pro phone and damages OnePlus reputation.

BotijoMNF likes this.
  9. Eloren
    Cupcake Jul 8, 2020

I1566248396947, Ranjii and Platin117 like this.
  10. Swejuggalo

But is not called IR camera. It's not called X-ray camera either as some call it. It probably never was meant to see through plastic and stuff to begin with. It was just an side effect.

The way it was lauched and barely mentioned makes me think it simply was an unfinished state... Some Youtubers has the same thought too.

Regardless. Some enjoyed it. Some freaked out (they seem to pop up everywhere).

11. A1594220384811
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020

Swejugglo, it doesn't matter what the camera is called. We were sold four camera phones and now one of the cameras has been effectively disabled.

The NIR camera is what it is. Taking pictures in near infrared wavelengts. That's how it is supposed to work. It's not a side effect.

Yes some peoples freaks if they are told "x-ray" camera. Some Youtubers just wanted more people to watch their show by making headlines. Near infrared cameras for phones are sold separately and goverments haven't been forbidding those.

OnePlus should hire better people for handling their publicity.

12. Swejuggalo

It's a tricky situation to say the least. Regardless what they do someone always end up unhappy it seems

13. Swejuggalo

All these things surrounding that lens is kind of awkward. A single lens hidden like a filter... And never was available as a simple lens switch like the 3 other.
    Just seems like unfinished software.
    I haven't read much official stuff on the lens (close to nothing). But comming out with detailed info now on the true intentions with adding that extra lens might sound like a after construct though 😋

otto2 likes this.
  14. mojoyoyo77

Really, I do not understand that anyone can defend this, the vast majority of users do not like to lose this camera, happy with this update of the camera, if any, there are very few people.
    I understand that many users, who may have been influenced by the magic of this camera, to decide to buy the device, are now very disappointed and with good reason

otto2 likes this.
  15. Dillinquent
    Donut Jul 8, 2020

Dillinquent , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 8, 2020 :
    It seems that the people bleating about the supposed "x-ray" capabilities (clue for twats: x-rays are beyond the optical spectrum) are not 8 pro owners, they are probably not even OnePlus users, so why are OP even listening to them?

Deactivated User and otto2 like this.
  16. A1594220384811
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020

Yes, why they are listening people who don't own OnePlus devices, like Dillinquent said. This way OnePlus actual customers they have are soon to be ex-customers when it is next time to buy a phone.

17. Swejuggalo

Exactly.... I asked many that complained and screamed ban/boycott due to the filter about what exactly that was terrible.
    I want proof of the terrible thing they wanted to ban... No response with proof ever. Some even reacted over fake pics...
    I guess the answer lies within the same region as companies needs to take a political standpoint in some situations. "Wrong" standpoint according to the loadest nuttiest side... and you can be screwed as company. Scream privacy and it does not matter much if there is much truth behind it. If a photo lens could be called rasist I'm sure someone would scream that too... Oh wait... I've heard about problems with showing the correct skintones.... Shhhh. Someone might twist and turn that to something racial 😋

I miss the IR capability eventhough I use it very rarely.
    But at the same time I'm pretty happy with the end result with a 12MP photochrom mode. But I don't really see the need for it either. So it's a mixed bag. I just don't see the screaming about disabling the lens as a 100% truth. New way of using it though.

I1566248396947 and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  18. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Jul 8, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Jul 8, 2020 :
    I'm asking same regarding BLM spreading from USA across the globe, "me too" movement and else stupid, mind-blowing shit.

It doesn't have any sense... Unfortunately, it's just what it's. Companies now "listen" to those, who scream and whine more all around the internet.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  19. A1594220384811
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020

Apple did also downgrade their phones by lowering speed of the devices were operating to make degrading battery last same as a new battery. We are in same type of situation now. Do we allow OnePlus to downgrade our phones?

20. Swejuggalo

We lost "IR cam" and "X-ray" effect but we got 12MP photochrom without the claimed "privacy concerns"...
    The ones that screams loudest is the law you know 😋

Anyway... Guess we see if single lens use is allowed without root and GCam in the future in some form.

Ranjii likes this.