Update on Color Filter Camera

1. Avishek2882
    Froyo Jul 14, 2020

Avishek2882 , Jul 14, 2020 :
    I already talked with the company and they watch these threads and if you notice there staff is also here who releases updates. Its not just for peoples thus please cast your vote. https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...tochrom-filter-to-work-like-original.1257039/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020

script likes this.
  2. txam
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

3. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 18, 2020

Artemus. , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Any reason why this feature is so important to you?

drl431 likes this.
  4. txam
    Donut Jul 18, 2020

5. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 18, 2020

Artemus. , Jul 18, 2020 :
    Uh-huh. I think you forgot the "/s" tag there, buddy. ;)

drl431 and txam like this.
  6. txam
    Donut Jul 19, 2020

txam , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 19, 2020 :
    I had a lot of fun having an IR camera, artistically pictures were great and I also liked to look at things and see how they looked. It's sad losing it, it was not harming nobody.

7. txam
    Donut Jul 19, 2020

txam , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 19, 2020 :
    it gives a warning and nothing happens:
    $ am start -n com.oneplus.factorymode/.camera.manualtest.CameraManualTest
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.oneplus.factorymode/.camera.manualtest.CameraManualTest }
    Warning: Activity not started because the current activity is being kept for the user.
    $

8. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 19, 2020 :
    Yeah. I had some trouble too. Wireless adb takes too long to activate for me. Got the camera script working eventually. Then you only need to type ./camera.
    I ended up by simply ran it via normal adb, locked the app, and you basically don't need to run the command again.

Ranjii likes this.
  9. W1590041424961
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2020

10. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Jul 26, 2020 :
    It is a light sensitive 5MP lens so. Not so sure the orginal was so much better. It was probably processed a bit more though.

How "photochrom" should look like may be up for discussion though... Just look what Wikipedia has to say about it

11. Fero9000
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

Fero9000 , Aug 5, 2020 :
    We want original photochrome sensor enabled again!!! it's not correct this kind of policy by Oneplus

12. Joe13134453
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2020

Joe13134453 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 16, 2020 :
    Either return functionality to th color filter camera, replace the sensor with one we can use or refund a portion of what we paid for a fully functional phone, I tried everything in my house and found nothing I could "see through" the people that think this is something new obviously aren't old enough to remember the Sony night vision from the early 2000s, it's not that useful but I paid for it.

13. LuminousMind
    Eclair Aug 22, 2020

LuminousMind , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 22, 2020 :
    The only viable thing to make a change in your favour is through an organized mass petition or a class action lawsuit (quite possible actually as the manufacturer augmented the hardware but charged $ for the function and the R&D process to develop it) - basically manufacturer robbed consumers.. Or if those social media idiots (that got photochrom effectively banned) would change their minds and make a case to get it back ...

It's a lost cause - no point in asking nicely to bring the function back. Believe me - I tried.

OnePlus lost my loyalty and they could give AF about it or anyone like me, so forget that photochrom existed as a bad dream.

14. Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 22, 2020 :
    No matter how we toss and turn this issue there will be one problem unsolved. The loudest screaming nutheads wins, simply due to overactions over optimal and very limited situations that was even backed up by fake "proof" calling it a privacy concern. What is real does not really matter to some people.... If they "feel" something is a threat they will see that as truth and ignore all facts tossed their way. Far too common in many situations.

The lens is still used but just not the old way. And theoretically we still have a Photochrom filter. The "lens" was always there as a filter to begin with. If it was a true "solo" lens it would make better logic to offer normal lens switching function.

Personally the "photochrom" matters very little to me as a filter. Only real use I have is the IR light detection. But just barely...

If you truly bought the phone only for that FILTER and not for the "side effects" and never would have chosen Oneplus otherwise... Simply speak with your wallet. But can you be sure someone else release a phone with that feature and does not become attacked like Oneplus was? What if that brand is forced to "solved" it the same way?

It's not the first time features has changed or have been dropped. Know about the Camera blocking features that worked before 10 and was dropped in early 10 versions by Google? And just happened to be dropped during the same periods some governments wanted to change laws making it easier to spy on criminals? Would that be a reason to demand money back for a privacy concerned person? The explication was that it was a "deprecated" feature...
    What about restricting what you can do with Google Assistant on a locked device? To someone that might have been a very bad change. The reasons was of security reasons...
    And with the lens is changed due to....

Bouncer71 likes this.
  15. Fero9000
    Froyo Aug 25, 2020

Fero9000 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 25, 2020 :
    I don't understand why OnePlus is continuing updating op8 Pro and until now it doesn't enable PHOTOCHROM again. I have bought a phone with this ability but suddenly and WITHOUT ANY REASONABLE EVIDENCE , OnePlus first has decided to temporarily disable photochrom, then, without any investigation or else, has removed this feature. So, this is the NEVER SETTLE COMPANY????!!!! I think that it doesn't listen to user requests but only that convenient ones for it. I feel cheated from OnePlus,like other customers.

16. aleksey_ho
    Cupcake Sep 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM

aleksey_ho , Sep 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM :
    One of the main features why I bought the phone is a photochromic camera, but with latest update I can no longer use the photochromic camera as before. Yes, of course, I can downgrade OS version or camera App version, but I consider this as an unworthy attitude of the company towards their customers. I really hope that you heed the complaints of your loyal users and restore this function, as many are asking for