Update on Color Filter Camera

1. Piyush Moharana
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

Piyush Moharana , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 21, 2020 :
    You are comparing a knife with smartphone. Everyone do have smartphone.
    Don't want to start a conversation but that's the reality. It's a privacy concern.

2. SandeshChinchapur
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2020

SandeshChinchapur , via OnePlus 7 , May 21, 2020 :
    Social distancing please.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  3. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Gingerbread May 21, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer , May 21, 2020 :
    Everyone has knives too. What are you talking about? Maybe this conversation is what people need.

ASCHENTE_V likes this.
  4. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , May 21, 2020 :
    Ok, dude. Like I mentioned above let's disable full camera functionality, cause you can do things like this↓

1590070916598.jpg
    What I'm saying is extremeness, but same do you. Guns/knives don't kill, people kill, same is for smartphones and have you use them. Grow up!!!

otto2 and bobsta like this.
  5. SandeshChinchapur

Wonder what's the reason behind a minimal explanation/marketing about a newly introduced 'industry first' tech and also hiding it last under the filters.

6. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Gingerbread May 21, 2020

I will digress a little bit, some risk analysis has to be taken.

For guns, I would say the potential for fatal or unacceptable outcomes is completely worth prohibition of guns.
    For knives, or an IR camera... this seems kind of silly... unless there's something I'm missing.

7. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Gingerbread May 21, 2020

My initial assumption was cynical, in that they wanted to pass off a cheap sensor as the fourth camera just to make it a four camera device.

8. SandeshChinchapur

This doesn't justify hiding it under the filters though.

9. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2020

JustASoftwareEngineer

I will digress a little bit, some risk analysis has to be taken.

For guns, I would say the potential for fatal or unacceptable outcomes is completely worth prohibition of guns.
    For knives, or an IR camera... this seems kind of silly... unless there's something I'm missing.

The message is that the tool isn't to be blamed for somebody's actions and behaviour... There's no need to disable this functionality, cause with the same "RIGHT" intentions one can disable the whole camera or the os itself (it's also possible).

otto2 likes this.
  10. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Gingerbread May 21, 2020

My other cynical first thought was that they hid it because they realized it was unimpressive, and didn't want it to be put next to the wide angle, main, or telephoto, which are much higher quality lenses. I now acknowledge and understand the possibility this was intended to be OnePlus's version (not in functionality, but in novelty) of Samsung's FLIR cam (or whatever weird camera they have on the Ultra), and they realized the privacy concerns so they made it into something people who aren't hyped about photography wouldn't really look into.

11. SandeshChinchapur

So basically OnePlus has messed up with it.

12. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2020

Nobody messed jup with nothing, except shitty mass media/influencers and whining minorities. The only 1+ fault is that they bent under them.

Bouncer71, otto2 and JonnyJaap like this.
  13. SandeshChinchapur

I don't agree that OnePlus never knew the consequences of introducing such a canera. They obviously knew very well that controversies will rise.. they can't be soo dumb. Nobody introduces any tech without knowing pros n cons of it.. and the way it is turning out to be, seems like OnePlus has messed up with it.

14. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Gingerbread May 21, 2020

No.. I was speculating. I made it clear I was speculating. What would you do if you were a product engineer?
    Whether or not they messed up is up to how important that fourth camera is to you, and how unimpressed you are with its functionality.

Either OnePlus was not willing to scrap the camera, so they made it an unimpressive artsy feature... or it was originally intended on being an unimpressive artsy filter...

It's not hard to believe one of their product engineers said "hmm, what if we make a camera that's like an instagram filter but with hardware instead of software".

15. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean May 21, 2020

Meh, you don't see the essense. Keep your thoughts, but that's rather extremeness. Nobody blamed Xiaomi for their Mi 8 or Poco F1 before, now the same is out for them in shitty hyping mass media. This world has found its insanity point.

16. SandeshChinchapur

Instagram filter with hardware instead of software.. sounds innovative.

17. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Gingerbread May 21, 2020

I mean, its a means of getting a photo with unique colors without the overprocessed look of a filter.. ironically this is negated by the low resolution but I digress.

Remember the Microsoft Zune? It had a stupid feature where you could tap your zune on someone else's zune, and they'd be able to listen to whatever song you were listening to, but only three times and within three days.

I'm trying to say, features aren't always going to be earthshattering. I'm not even defending OnePlus right now, but people are talking like they were going to originally release it as an "X-Ray Cam" and than late product cycle decided that wouldn't fly... and I just don't think that's the case.

My second theory (which actually could be reality): is they were going to try and use the infrared camera to improve the night mode quality, and couldn't get the algorithm to behave properly before launch, so they turned around and called it a color filter camera.. such decision would be made to avoid delaying launch, and avoid having to rework major parts of the design.

18. X1589624590017
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

19. Swejuggalo
    KitKat May 21, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 21, 2020 :
    May I see some real proof of if the terrible see trough effect? Preferably something that is not see trough in normal light too... I'm no referring to boxes and shit. High contrast things... Real stuff. Boobies and stuff covered by clothing that never can be seen without the camera... Ever seen boobies with such a high contrast differance between skin and nipple that they are comparable to a black marker on a white note?
    On that photo of a guy holding an iPhone package under the shirt... You do realize men have nipples too. Do you even see a hint of his nipples? Other then some revealing shape seen on both pictures?

Bouncer71 and otto2 like this.
  20. O1588796827739
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

O1588796827739 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 21, 2020 :
    I'd like you guys to make the camera better bring able to see through more stuff. Please do no throttle it. I will be disappointed if you do. I have loved your decisions with phones this far. Let this be something really unique and cool. Please whatever you do do not downgrade the color filter camera on Oxygen OS.

W1590041424961 likes this.