Update on Color Filter Camera

1. Q1589893888662
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

Q1589893888662 , May 21, 2020 :
    It's more than a hardware based Instagram filter. As far as I know there is no possibility to simply apply a filter and get results like you get with the camera.

The ability to shoot IR photos with your smartphone is a cool and unique feature.
    Some people take serious efforts to do infrared photography so it's super nice to have a build in solution.

I myself would normally never apply some sort of filter on my photos but I like shooting with the IR cam since I discovered it. I absolutely love the dystopian look of the photos and I would be seriously pissed off, when they make changes which will limit the ability of making infrared photos.

This whole privacy concern thing has assumed crazy proportions. I tried the cam at my wife wearing thin clothing and it was not nearly possible to see through and get even a hint of her private parts.

OnePlus, please don't let clickbait articles and superficial utterances on social media influence your decisions!

otto2 likes this.
  2. SandeshChinchapur
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 21, 2020

SandeshChinchapur , via OnePlus 7 , May 21, 2020 :

Q1589893888662

It's more than a hardware based Instagram filter. As far as I know there is no possibility to simply apply a filter and get results like you get with the camera.

The ability to shoot IR photos with your smartphone is a cool and unique feature.
    Some people take serious efforts to do infrared photography so it's super nice to have a build in solution.

I myself would normally never apply some sort of filter on my photos but I like shooting with the IR cam since I discovered it. I absolutely love the dystopian look of the photos and I would be seriously pissed off, when they make changes which will limit the ability of making infrared photos.

This whole privacy concern thing has assumed crazy proportions. I tried the cam at my wife wearing thin clothing and it was not nearly possible to see through and get even a hint of her private parts.

OnePlus, please don't let clickbait articles and superficial utterances on social media influence your decisions!​

Well, seems like it is influencing OnePlus. Or rather, OnePlus is getting influenced?!

3. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , May 21, 2020 :
    OnePlus proudly announce the 8PT (Peeping Tom) Edition. Coming with a 100,000mah battery, you can power your house or jump start your car. Armed with an x-ray scanner and explosives detector, using your phone has never been so much fun. The main camera can now take shots of the Andromeda galaxy with funny colour filters. We have also included a 50,000 volt tazer feature on the frame just in case an unauthorised person steals your phone and the selfie cam contains a minute hole that squirts out pepper spray. All in all, this is a loaded handset.

Last edited: May 22, 2020

G_plusone and otto2 like this.
  4. abhi989898
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

5. Tobalou
    Donut May 21, 2020

6. otto2
    Photography Expert May 21, 2020

otto2 , May 21, 2020 :
    Read thread from beginning and you ll know the answer. Please read/ search first and ask later the next time. Thank you for following community rules.

Bouncer71 and Batman360 like this.
  7. Ahemed
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

G_plusone likes this.
  8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow May 21, 2020

otto2 likes this.
  9. chibbi
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

chibbi , May 21, 2020 :
    The 4th camera only does this,,, it is IR camera,,, it's a hardware 'problem', not software,,,

10. R1589908638831
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

R1589908638831 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 21, 2020 :
    thats not fair, i bought oneplus 8 pro for reason to use this filter for ”scanning" electronic devices...
    very disappointed from OnePlus that decided to take off this feature,i think its will be my first and my last one plus product...

11. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert May 21, 2020

Bouncer71 , May 21, 2020 :
    Useful or not...
    I've been asking for a photographers phone for who knows long...
    Not what I expected, but surprisingly a feature that stands out, with a lot of potential...

Hope OnePlus steps it up a notch in future phones with higher resolution and even now with more and better filter looks that mimic Pro IR photography to date...

bezil13 and otto2 like this.
  12. Swejuggalo
    KitKat May 21, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 21, 2020 :
    It's temporary disabled in China and will probably be tweaked slightly in the rest of the world (I wonder how though) ...
    Everyone I have asked about some proof of the harm this camera can do never returnes to me... Either they can't find the proof or there is no real proof. Just dumb examples that people think is the same thing as real clothing situations or fakes and pictures from other devices.

ASCHENTE_V and otto2 like this.
  13. Schistermin12
    Cupcake May 21, 2020

14. brian.sedore
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 22, 2020

15. brian.sedore
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 22, 2020

brian.sedore , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 22, 2020 :
    The hardware is still there. So even with it "disabled", I'm sure there will be some way to still use it. There's probably also the people who just won't update if they are really intent to keep using it.

W1590041424961 likes this.
  16. Haidar Ali
    Gingerbread May 22, 2020

17. Sree92
    Donut May 22, 2020

18. Tobikage
    Nougat May 22, 2020

Tobikage , May 22, 2020 :
    You phone does not have the necessary hardware. What do you think ?

otto2 likes this.
  19. IrishDonut , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , May 22, 2020 :
    Just leave it alone, strange to have that as part of the features only to be stripped away.

Tested on my own clothes black - just show up as baige (similar to skin-tone) Plus only under specific circumstances then it will appear "see-through" .

(for censorship gonna mention the circumstances for it to work)

I recommend the community to just use it appropriately .