Update on strategic changes in Europe

1. Tuomas L.
    Head of Strategy, OnePlus Europe Staff Member Apr 25, 2020

Tuomas L. , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Hi everyone,

As OnePlus enters its next phase of strategic growth, we have been evaluating our opportunities for long-term development and sustainability. We have decided to make some changes to the current organizational structure within Europe to better streamline our operations while continuing to meet the needs of our growing community. These changes only apply to Europe, which remains a key region for OnePlus where we are committed to bringing the best products and services to users as we have done since day one.

As part of our strategy, we are looking to capitalise on opportunities in the Nordic region and Benelux by hiring for new positions, relocating some existing European staff and further enhancing our capabilities in these strategic markets. At the same time, we are making organizational changes in some existing markets, specifically Germany, France and the UK.

We are doing everything we can to support the approximately 20 total employees in these three markets who will be affected by this restructuring, including offering redundancy packages per local regulations. We highly value the contributions of these staff members and will do our best to ensure a smooth transition through this process.

Tuomas

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020

2. TheAvengingTITAN , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Thanks for the transparency with this, it's been a hot topic lately and hopefully this should be enough to clarify some doubts. Wishing the 20 the best of luck in their future endeavours!

3. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 25, 2020

4. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator Apr 25, 2020

SoniaB , Apr 25, 2020 :
    @Tuomas L. So will there still be a small physical OnePlus team based in UK, France and Germany?
    France especially has the Ambassador program and a lot of fun community events happened with the UK team.
    I wonder how much focus will shift from these 3 countries as a result of the restructure.

5. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Moderator Apr 25, 2020

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Apr 25, 2020 :
    I'm sure there are enough (smart) people in line to help you guys out with the vacant gaps!
    Thank you for the heads-up. And best of luck for the ones leaving.

luxuskamel, cdnfarmer, Chinda and 5 others like this.
  6. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Apr 25, 2020

7. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 25, 2020

Cheetosdust , Apr 25, 2020 :
    Thank you for the update, @Tuomas L.

I saw it on the news during the last few hours, but it's best to have an official source. As someone who is from Europe, I do hope to see OnePlus thrive here as I do hope this "restructuring" is the beginning of a new, better business road ahead.

But the most important part: all the best to those affected, my heart goes out to you, especially during these challenging times. I hope you find something new really soon. Take care and thanks for all the work you did.

8. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Apr 25, 2020

obakesan , Apr 25, 2020 :
    It's good to have a response but this response doesn't really say much, the article on Engadget is more informative. Especially the rumour of oneplus moving European HQ from London to maybe Finland? An interesting move possibly related to Brexit and the UKs departure from the EU I wonder.

What will happen with the UK office, it has expended year on over the past few years and is a shame for it to now collapse. As has mentioned the UK office has done some cool marketing and events and has hosted a few launches here, the last being the 7T.
    Who can forget the oneplus piano or the 4th anniversary party event. But what will become of the UK now if HQ is moved will it have the same impact I wonder.

Despite what is being said, this sounds like a re focus of oneplus, they are actively targeting the US market more which has been evident for a while now and have put lots of resources into the Indian Market too. Its interesting this news comes on the heels of the new design language and oneplus 8 launch and I wonder if this is part of a new direction for oneplus.

I am saddened for anyone in the European offices who have lost their jobs and more so for the London team. Many I have met and know and formed friendships with.

A job loss is a horrible thing during the best times and these are the worst times for something like this to happen. I truly hope that those affected will find great new roles, I hope they will be fine in they current climate too, they are talented people and have done amazing work so hopefully it's OK. I am also glad for those members that are still there and can continue to do amazing things. Has OnePlus settled themselves now? It will be interesting to see how the UK 🇬🇧 market (remember not European right?) continues or not from here now.

9. bobsta
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2020

bobsta , Apr 25, 2020 :
    I feel sorry for those employees that are going to lose their jobs - I sincerely wish them all the best especially now.

I suspect the European market no longer factors in their strategy for growth. It's no secret that OnePlus want to make inroads into the American market but at the same time potentially abandoning a market of 400+ million people in Europe does seem nonsensical. Reading between the lines, the 8 series or 8T variant will probably be the last handsets OnePlus will sell in Europe before they exit the European market completely. I hope I'm wrong.

luxuskamel, Dresa91, SoniaB and 2 others like this.
  10. mojoyoyo77
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 25, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Apr 25, 2020 :
    This restructuring of personnel does not imply that OnePlus abandons the European market, for OnePlus, Europe is an important market.

11. Ellistar
    Honeycomb Apr 25, 2020

Ellistar , via OnePlus 6T , Apr 25, 2020 :
    I can only chime in, at a time where our house is being hit with redundancy my heart goes out to all those affected by this.

I am saddened that oneplus feel the need to cut jobs in Europe just to focus on the expanding market elsewhere and can't grow instead.

But I am not in charge, just a humble fan.

afogel, K.R.Soos, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  12. pol
    Donut Apr 25, 2020

pol , Apr 25, 2020 :
    It's very odd. Whilst I respect the fact that OnePlus has the right to hire and fire (as long as it abides by local laws), the timing is extremely unfortunate for those concerned.

It might have been kinder to keep them on the payroll and furlough them, perhaps? I am referring to the UK staff as I have no idea of regulations elsewhere.

A cynic would be able to say that OnePlus is cutting its losses in the current situation and there is nothing to indicate otherwise.

How soon are they being sacked?

13. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 25, 2020

Chinda , Apr 25, 2020 :
    While OnePlus are cutting back on some European and the UK OnePlus staff base's it doesn't mean they will stop selling future OnePlus smartphones in Europe or the UK.

One of OnePlus original long term goals was to sell their smartphones in as many countries as possible. Many countries have been added since the original OnePlus One.

OnePlus will continue to sell upcoming smartphones in Europe and the UK. Ps. good luck to those affected by the redundancies in this financially burdening lockdown.

Dresa91 and SoniaB like this.
  14. Magnetic Nerd
    Jelly Bean Apr 25, 2020

15. Last edited: Apr 26, 2020

16. Topper_Gas
    Jelly Bean Apr 25, 2020

Topper_Gas , Apr 25, 2020 :
    "As part of our strategy, we are looking to capitalise onopportunities in the Nordic region and Benelux by hiring for new positions,"

Given it's it's the likes of the UK and Germany who are the big smartphone buyers it seems a strange move to now try and capitalise on some of the smaller W Europe countries at the expense of the bigger countries.

G_plusone, bobsta, mojoyoyo77 and 2 others like this.
  17. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 26, 2020

18. K.R.Soos
    Donut Apr 26, 2020

19. Kleb32
    Gingerbread Apr 26, 2020

G_plusone and Dresa91 like this.

G_plusone and Kleb32 like this.