Update Threads Moderation

1. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 7, 2020 :
    [​IMG]

And now my appeal to the modderation team.

Thank you very much for cleaning the forum and getting rid of unnecessary delirium ... But! What the hell is going on in update threads?

Does anyone even moderate the update threads by @Abdul B., or is it all according to the principle "until the report is sent, we don't notice and read comments"? Or is it a special corral for cattle so that, those bastards left their shit and violence there? Explain to me, otherwise I'm dumb.

If such crap was on xda or 4pda (всем русскоговорящим хай), then measures would already be taken! And that's the reason adequate users don't reply, discuss or give feedback in such threads (same do I, besides trolling :D). What am I even supposed to do with those hating noobies? Join hands, remember the good old days and dream about battery draining/wiping cache/factory reset? Thanks, but NO.

Well, after all, in reality, you can delete all pages as an off-topic and for other violations, because noobs cupcakes were given carte blanche for disgusting and insults. Here's an example:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...-for-the-oneplus-7-pro-and-oneplus-7.1232394/

Each such thread has a standard cycle: Thanks OnePlus - Posting update log screenshots - Whining - A lot of questions about staged rollout - Whining - Questions about features from the beta - Whining - Battery drain - Whining - Questions about the update schedule - Whining - Questions when the new update will be released - Whining. And pray to your God, so that the new update wasn't delayed, otherwise you face complete chaos and anarchy. Then @Abdul B. creates a new thread - the cycle starts over.

There're active community members trying to help and asnwer frequent endless questions, like @Artemus., @akks, @Swejuggalo and others. They do their best, but as the reward receive only tons of hate, insults and indignation. Is it OK for you? If yes, then I've nothing more to discuss with you...

All that I see now is complete ignorance and disregard for the moderation of these particular threads !!!

P.S. Inviting some active users @Dresa91 , @Venky61 , @Cheetosdust , @YRJ , @Mr. BG , @the_o2 , @MosheG1 , @Starcommander , @Caomhin ,@Batman360, @camohan , @SoniaB , @Tobikage , @BeingIncog , @drl431, @B_Wrath

Sorry (Gomen nasai), if you don't wanna join this thread. Thanks to everyone for reading to this point. Yeah, maybe lots of text.

Enjoy or not

Auristic, Bobbie63 , K3MN1K and 17 others like this.
  2. Starcommander
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

Starcommander , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I will put forth my views on this issue. There has been a sudden surge in community members. Update related threads attract such new members the most. Now the problem is our dear Moderators try their best to clean the forums. But sometimes it's not humanly possible to clean this ever increasing filth.

I am sure moderators try their best but after all they are humans. The only possible solution I feel would be to implement a separate system for handling such issues. Also these are just the beginning. I wonder what will happen in coming months when more users join this forums only to cry about updates 🤦🏻‍♂️

Auristic, Bobbie63 , drl431 and 5 others like this.
  3. Batman360
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

Batman360 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Well, I noticed it too @ASCHENTE_V . That is why I don't reply in the update offical threads, it's of no use, no one reads the previous comments and keeps asking the same question again even after it was solved. I did the same in the starting but now it's clear that it does no good, now I resort to troubleshooting the solutions myself. I posted today in the beta update of 7 Pro as I was waiting for the buds support update so that I could test it but that's it, won't see what's going on in that thread anymore coz I know things get heated up there, some cupcakes think that we work for OnePlus so they start firing on the people who are just helping them. Idky but there is a lot of negative energy going on in the forums since a month or so, cleaning/moderation is required. But noobs are people and they don't understand how things work here, they just need there problems to be solved and now it's upto the people who are helping them, decide whether they want to help them or not. For me, I like to stay away from that section 😜
    Hatsoff to @Swejuggalo , @akks , @Artemus. , you and many others who help users in those update threads, massive respect. 🙏

4. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

Agreed, but when I see comments, like " This pablo deleted my comment cuz it was off-topic. Who is this dude? Do I care? No, I'll write again. Gfy pablo?" it pisses me off. I'd have attached pictures, but I can't find those comments, saw few days back. But it happens daily. They don't even understand how the system works. Give them some mutes or bans for 1 week :innocent:. Warning points are useless:(.

5. Starcommander
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

Starcommander , Aug 7, 2020 :
    XD
    Imo there should be an option if someone misbehaves he will get banned. The ban removal will depend on how nicely he behaves with users in subsequent days. If they fail, permanent ban. But OnePlus won't implement this because their user base will fall

6. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 7, 2020

drl431, Artemus., MosheG1 and 2 others like this.
  7. BeingIncog
    Nougat Aug 7, 2020

BeingIncog , Aug 7, 2020 :
    That's the cycle...

8. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

Yeap, saw your comment regarding buds, but update questions smashed it. Such update threads moderation (probably biggest pain in the A$$ right now) and such users f**kers (I don't find polite words) breaking all possible rules I've seen only in this community. Btw, waiting for your buds review.

9. B_Wrath
    Nougat Aug 7, 2020

B_Wrath , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I have already had a heck a lot of discussion on this topic with the mods and the admins. The update threads these days are a menace.
    I have been pretty active in the update threads earlier. And I stopped doing it because of the repetitive nonsense which goes on there. Also, I have been called plenty of names , a shill, a blind fanboy, etc., just because I haven't had the problem which the accuser had.
    I had been dealing with those nonsense for quite a long time. (They don't call me a cupcake eater for nothing). But even I have my limits and I have stopped being around in those threads.

On the other hand, the update thread is the place where we can contain the chaos. Start moderating there, the chaos spills to the main forum with threads calling moderators some beautiful dandy words. Update thread is the place where the people are let to shout their hearts out.
    And it doesn't help that the current generation are a bunch of lazy arse youths who have plenty of free internet on hand and can't be bothered to do a basic reading and depend on Google to vomit out whatever they want. That culture continues on the update threads. Not a single bit of reading is done first. They just want what they need the very instant.

Now, coming to the moderators side of the topic. First thing to bear in mind is, these guys are volunteers. They do the moderation activities in the free time they have from their real lives. And as you already know, the update thread is a huge blackhole. It is not humanly possible for some moderator to read each and every thread and do moderation activities. And I don't expect them to do it. They have better things to do on the forums.
    What we can do is, when we see a major violation like some idiot mouthing off or being rude, report those kind of posts alone and it will be taken care of by the mods.

Now, coming to OnePlus' side, as a company. The other forums you have mentioned, have no monetary risk by being strict on the forum. But for OnePlus, they have a product to sell. And already, people see this forum as a tech support by the company. OnePlus simply can't afford to be very strict on the forum and run the risk of people bad mouthing about the rude behaviour by a company. The users won't differentiate between a CS or a user forum, nor between a staff or a volunteering moderator. OnePlus has to see this side of the coin too, before taking any risk of being stricter.

All these has been discussed extensively in the past, present and will be discussed in the future as well. But unless the users understand that this is a user forum or OnePlus makes them understand by some campaign, nothing is going to change for the better.

Auristic, palc, Bobbie63 and 6 others like this.
  10. Swejuggalo
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2020

Swejuggalo , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Moderating this place probably need some level of madness to stay fairly sane 😜
    But seriously, some level of selection of what to interfere with and what to let be is probably necessary. I doubt it's truely possible to take care of everything.

Auristic, Batman360, Artemus. and 2 others like this.
  11. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 7, 2020

Even such critiс like me was called fanboy dozens of times, lol.
    Update threads, just like I and you said:
    [​IMG]
    True, but at least some actions should be performed. In my opinion, bans/mutes are the best option... Banhammer ought to know no mercy! Inviting more moderators is 2nd one.
    But their CS can afford to be rude, lol))) The whole threads design and structure should be changed - that's obvious. Even trivial hide button and sublevels don't exist.
    This sentence pushed me to a though of what exactly would happen, if whole moderation team left this quarantine zone right now.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020

12. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Aug 7, 2020

Mr. BG , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I'll copy paste, and add some to it.

First of all, moderating is a shite job, you get shat on by almost everybody. Kudos, without them this place wouldn't last a day.

It's Groundhog Day! Again...

It's the same every.single.time...

The complaining by the entitlest of brats honourable demanding customers starts weeks before the "promised update is due.

Because moaning is, to certain people, a tactic or a way of life.

Ofcourse Oneplus fails to live up to expectations one way or the other, and then this community really gets flooded with threads like about updates, demanding updates now. Because no patience at.all.

There are tons of threads, but of course every "angry customer" needs to ventilate their suffering in their own thread, threatening to never buy a Oneplus device again.

Thus reducing the community to a CS extension, (which it is not), it is killing the community for personal gain. And the rest are left asking why the old members move on...

It's the tactics of a tantrum, they keep bashing,screaming everywhere in this community to get their way

It gets really, really old :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020

13. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Aug 8, 2020

MosheG1 , Aug 8, 2020 :
    I very much agree!
    I think there needs to be more for specific topics and more of them in general to be able to really reform the issues at hand

14. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Tbh it's not just update threads, the photo contests are terrible too with pics that have nothing to do with the topic being posted!

The mods are an amazing group of people who work tirelessly for this community but I think that maybe OnePlus needs to start paying a real team who can really clean the place up and shut down all the stupid comments

15. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Aug 8, 2020 :
    @ASCHENTE_V thanks for making this thread, many important issues have been raised recently and I think this is a topic that should be addressed!

16. Tobikage
    Nougat Aug 8, 2020

Tobikage , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Don't care about the update threads tbh.

Let them get / be trashed.
    Better those than the rest of the forum getting crapped on with more threads.

Auristic, Bobbie63 , Mr. BG and 5 others like this.
  17. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Aug 8, 2020

the_o2 , Aug 8, 2020 :
    This thing is here from starting, forum have less users at that time so it is very easy to handle. Now most people have 4-5 ID's they created to participate in contests and raffles or voting for their own post for winning, the same people uses all their IDs their to support their comments, first thing the comment is battery life sucks, gets 4 likes immediately than me too, me too on the next.
    This is what I observed.

Moderation is very hectic and thanks less job, a morning you opened the forum and the first thing you get how dare you to close my thread you sucks and the entire day is ruined.
    To be honest I'm really happy they are not deleting comments there so those angry birds not popping on the main forum which is actually good in my opinion.
    I stopped visiting the update thread basically all are same with nothing new updates but the HYPE they created outside the world is like we gets new wonderful updates each months...

But they leads to ban, you can't directly ban people for asking updates or battery life sucks after the updates comments :rolleyes:;)

Life on the forum is like pendulum

Called as OnePlus FanBoys on their threads, OnePlus Haters on the official threads.

Exactly.

True, some even post their selfie and even in off topic threads like atlas games they post random things, I have no hopes for these people.

I don't want to blame alone to the users, each update thread(most of the official threads) ends like this:

Make sure to let us know how you feel about the builds here in the thread too. We are watching.

Never Settle.

But in reality no one even watching the thread you hardly get any reply from the thread creators only some know staff member replies, if they ask for their feelings the users post their feelings simple.

18. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 8, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 8, 2020 :
    I want each such thread to be renamed to "Oxygen Os 10.x.x excitement thread" and be opened by @Pete with words: "Dear friends". Then all my pretensions will thaw immediately.
    Lol, my 2nd one was banned for trolling :rolleyes:
    Like always, cupcakes are blind worshipped gods spreading the Never Settle motto. That's the lesson I seem to turn a blind eye to :D

19. Starcommander
    Lollipop Aug 8, 2020

Batman360 and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  20. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Aug 8, 2020

YRJ , Aug 8, 2020 :
    Thank you for the tag and for considering me a regular!
    Even though, I'm not a moderator I would still like to add two cents to this, from a human perspective.
    Simply looking at the numbers, there are over 3.2 Million users on the forums and there are less than 30 moderators, that's 1 mod per million. I understand that many of the 3Million users are inactive, and not every user needs mod's assistance, but for the sake of calculations, let's include them too. As it is the team is pretty small. However, I do feel that they are doing a solid job nonetheless. Also, we shouldn't forget that mods are humans like us and they too have a life.

Coming to the update threads, that's completely a different story. Almost every update thread generates thousands of comments, to expect the mods to go through 100's of pages of comments is simply unreasonable and humanly impossible.
    Hence the report function is the only way in which we can draw their attention to where it is needed. Still, I have seen mods moderate threads and posts that require it, without it being reported. But again, they can only do that after all reports have been looked into. As it is the work is very time-consuming.

Lastly, I don't think that the team needs a "refresh" but expansion would make sense.

I see where you're coming from and I have noticed and experienced it too, people do not understand that members of the forums are mostly common everyday users who go out of their way to help others. I guide others as and when I can but once they turn hostile I simply ignore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    However, these days most of my time is spent in helping people who send me a DM so I have little time to help others in the open forum.

Again, thanks for the tag. These are just my two cents, I might be wrong. Feel free to correct me.
    Cheers!

Auristic, Bobbie63 , rarog and 2 others like this.