Update to the OxygenOS Codebase and Software Maintenance Schedule

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Jul 2, 2021

Gary C. , Jul 2, 2021 :
    OOS announcement.png

Hi friends,

Six years ago, we created OxygenOS based on the idea that fast and smooth software is fundamental for a good smartphone experience. Since then, OxygenOS has proven to be one of the best Android operating systems available on the global market.

We started as a small brand, but since last year when our product portfolio started expanding much more quickly, we’ve come to realize that we need significantly more resources and a larger technology platform to make sure each product can receive stable and timely software updates, while delivering a world-class user experience.

After a lot of evaluation and discussion, we’ve come up with a solid plan to best leverage our shared resources with OPPO. In order to improve efficiency and standardize the software experience across our portfolio, we’re working on integrating the codebase of OxygenOS and ColorOS.

This is a change that you will likely not even notice since it’s happening behind the scenes. We now have a larger and even more capable team of developers, more advanced R&D resources, and a more streamlined development process all coming together to improve the OxygenOS experience.

OxygenOS remains the OS for global OnePlus users as always, but now built on a more stable and stronger platform. This will apply to new devices in the future, while for existing devices that are still within the maintenance schedule, it will occur via an OTA update along with Android 12.

Most importantly, with this change, we are happy to announce an improved software maintenance schedule for the lifecycle of our open market smartphones:
    • Flagship product line (including T / R): The OnePlus 8 series and newer devices will receive 3 major Android updates and 4 years of security updates.
    • Nord / Nord CE: The first OnePlus Nord and newer Nord / Nord CE devices will receive 2 major Android updates and 3 years of security updates.
    • Nord N series: Starting from N10 and N100, all N series devices will receive 1 major Android update and 3 years of security updates.
    (Note: Flagship devices released prior to the OnePlus 8 series will follow the previous schedule of 2 major Android updates and 3 years of security updates. Software update plans for carrier versions will follow the requirements of our carrier partners.)

We believe that OxygenOS will continue to offer the best Android experience possible for you. Thanks for your continued feedback and support.

2. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 2, 2021

3. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Jul 2, 2021

4. derLenno
    The Lab² - Oclean X Pro Elite Reviewer Jul 2, 2021

derLenno , Jul 2, 2021 :
    This is great news! Just what I wished for personally, and definitely a right step into getting Oxygen back on track as one of the leaders of the pack.

Will this affect OP apps as well, or just the ROM itself? @Gary C.

5. Overzee
    Junior Moderator, The Showcase Reviewer Junior Moderator Jul 2, 2021

Overzee , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Thanks @Gary C. for this great update, sounds good!

6. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Jul 2, 2021

Bobbie63 , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Guess I gotta win the raffles!

and be more helpful to collect raffle points.:p:p

7. MoHiTsOoD,
    Honeycomb Jul 2, 2021

MoHiTsOoD, , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Thanks for not including oneplus 7t series that why i love this brand
    7t havent recived one #major update properly like full of bugs ,and they are announcing 3 major update for 8 series and not for 7t series whao
    thats why i love this brand again!
    closed beta test for 7t series at beta 5 with so many bugs like whao
    again i love this brand? (ACTUALLY NO)
    thanks
    NEVER SETTLE YET 🤭

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021

8. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 2, 2021

McJader , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Damn bruh
    @Dresa91 your many many posts have some result finally:D

9. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 2, 2021

Starcommander , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Omfg that's amazing news

10. Caomhin
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 2, 2021

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Excellent news, bringing it in to line, and even ahead of other major Android phone manufacturers.

The additional resources, I am sure, will be a boom to all updates from Android 12 onwards. Looking forward to where it all takes us.

Never Settle 💪👍

11. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Yeah:)
    And I hopefully can enjoy my OP9 Pro for many years:)

12. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Jul 2, 2021

Tokolozi , Jul 2, 2021 :
    We've been waiting for some news like this! Great news for future reference

13. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2021

14. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Oh absolutely:)
    Important news: OxygenOS won’t die.

15. McJader
    Marshmallow Jul 2, 2021

McJader , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Nice.

16. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 2, 2021

Starcommander , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Yeah 🔥

17. ankitgondalia
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jul 2, 2021

ankitgondalia , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Finally some good news after all the blunders! Sadly 7T Series are excluded from the list! 😐

Edit: I don't get it why 7 series users are crying? They will complete 3 years of updates with Android 12!

It's actually unfair only for 7T series to be not included in this list! They already messed up so much with it's first android update (OOS11). And they are the only one's who will be left out with just 2 android updates.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021

18. kushal__12
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 2, 2021

19. Infinitydrm
    Eclair Jul 2, 2021

20. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Jul 2, 2021 :
    Does is also mean the 8 and 8 Pro too?
    Because in the past the non-T-device also got supported as long as the T-Device?