[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. G_tj_goodman_AhIT
    Donut Mar 30, 2018

G_tj_goodman_AhIT , Mar 30, 2018 :
    they had the notch because mostly they can't afford to make a design they just reuse what ever design Oppo uses so if Oppo design looked like a s8 the OnePlus 6 would most likely look like that.
    thats why I hate the bull shit excuse there giving us , like we're stupid or something

sauron.cnp and dsmonteiro like this.
  2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 30, 2018

dsmonteiro , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Well, the reasons given by @Pete are legit:
    • Costs (by sourcing the panels together with Oppo and Vivo)
    • Availability
    • Increasing the available display without increasing the phone's size
    To be honest, I would prefer a design like the one on the Mi Mix 2 or the OnePlus 5T but the notch isn't something that stops me from buying a phone.

All OnePlus phones except the OnePlus 2 are based on Oppo and Vivo phones.

dalmia09 and mattia.zucca like this.
  3. dsmonteiro

As I said, product development takes lots of time.

Neither Essential copied Apple not Apple copied Essential. Both decided to use similar solutions to the same problem.

4. aditya19941994
    Eclair Mar 30, 2018

aditya19941994 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    exactly.. I would prefer a bezelless phone like Samsung s9 over an iPhone X( witch a notch)

G_tj_goodman_AhIT and sauron.cnp like this.
  5. HarryDragon
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2018

HarryDragon , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Think back to the roots of the company. I think you are all walking a bit sidetracked. What is the meaning of never settle? Following trends doesn't mean that it is what your customers want, instead it can be a graveyard. I didn't want to upgrade to back FP due to effectiveness for me. I have to reach the phone and reach for the FP while my phone is sitting on my table. That's one.
    Secondly, ok with notch you can squeeze clock and notifications there. But when you look at it again, actually most of us don't really care if the screen is a tad smaller. Because notch is just a cosmetic and in real application it doesn't really that nice in full screen mode. Ok. You can 'hide' notch appearance in screen in setting. Does it really in the essence of bigger screen size that you are talking about?
    Thirdly and the last, please think big. There are lack of innovation lately.
    No upgrading to dash charging, which now Huawei and QC4 speed up the charging faster than dash charging.
    In software, please listen to your consumers and try to accommodate the majority. Of course there is no way that you can please everyone but please make the majority voices count.
    I am sorry if my English is bad. English is third language.

sauron.cnp likes this.
  6. aditya19941994
    Eclair Mar 30, 2018

aditya19941994 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    one plus don't believe in product development.. they just copy ideas from other brands

7. NeverSettler.01
    Froyo Mar 30, 2018

NeverSettler.01 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    I absolutely understand the need for a notch display...but OnePlus if People don't like it change it ...you have 2-3 months left ....you can easily procure new displays and change the design....Send those notch displays to Asus for Zenfone [e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

8. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 30, 2018

SgGokul likes this.
  9. gackes
    Donut Mar 30, 2018

dalmia09 likes this.
  10. G_neders_nice_UuUa
    Donut Mar 30, 2018

11. isty
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2018

isty , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Just one question guys. Why are you copying Apple's design? Why don't you innovate?

12. Saisibi Suresh
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

Saisibi Suresh , Mar 30, 2018 :
    well, LG is a tech giant. it has far more manpower than one plus. there are x times the developers in LG than one plus.
    but yes I would agree with you that, one plus is slowing down their innovation (need more work in r&d). well it's their choice, they move up the graph or just slug down like many other newbie.
    one plus innovates only their software and try to ignore hardware (notch for example) but we'll see, they would pull off something in the future.

Starcommander likes this.
  13. dsmonteiro

How is that even relevant to what I said?

OnePlus is part of a major OEM, of course most development is made by BBK, not OnePlus.

Saisibi Suresh likes this.
  14. sauron.cnp
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

sauron.cnp , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Does oneplus really like botching the even numbered phones? Is there a "curse of the even number"?
    After the op2 now another phone that the customers do not like? And especially since when for Oneplus aesthetics do not matter? By the way is there really the possibility of an ips display? Are oneplus doing all this to have better sales of the op6T without the notch (considering that phones released later in the year have not older processor) ?

Oneplus had us answer a lot questions about the future phone features , why they did not ask about the notch?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

SatriaPerdana and Saisibi Suresh like this.
  15. Saisibi Suresh
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

Saisibi Suresh , Mar 30, 2018 :
    well, it could be a sales strategy. they would produce very less units of op6, knowing the customers might not buy it.

or. they really believe the aesthetics of their phone would succeed.

sauron.cnp likes this.
  16. Shetty_gagan
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2018

17. SatriaPr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2018

SatriaPr , Mar 30, 2018 :
    What a deal breaker for me it'll ruin my experience and perfection.
    What a cheap copy you've become.

You aren't oneplus anymore you are 1-

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

nilz22 likes this.
  18. sauron.cnp
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2018

sauron.cnp , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Well, I don't like buying a phone in the second half of the year as the next generation processor (which will make my phone obsolete) is just 6 months away.

After op1 and Op3 I really had planned to replace my phone...

nilz22 likes this.
  19. neo_bpm
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

nilz22 likes this.
  20. rotpg
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

rotpg , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Can't say enough how much I like your notch-less render!!!

OnePlus should really look up to Samsung for inspiration, instead of Apple. Samsung manages to keep some very thin SYMMETRIC chin and forehead sparing us of the notch.

Shetty_gagan likes this.