[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. NaiyerAsif
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

NaiyerAsif , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Having used iPhone X, all I can say that the notch stands like a sore thumb. I don't like sore thumbs. I'll be definitely skipping this edition of OnePlus.

2. Stanimir1991
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2018

Stanimir1991 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    we will see...

f1982 likes this.
  3. centraIpark
    Eclair Mar 30, 2018

centraIpark , Mar 30, 2018 :
    i like new things ...
    so far all companies going push out a notch ... all ...
    the new andtoid P dev preview has a dev option when you turn it on it will create a virtual notch on your screen ...you can see how is your app looks like with the notch..
    i think this year is the year of the notch xDDD..
    no drama wait for next year

f1982 likes this.
  4. Nosophoros
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

Nosophoros , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Oh yes!! The users wants a notch. And for that reason it is why Carl Pei is erasing his twits.
    Some user wants notch here, in the Oneplus forum,
    the place where fanboys come to lick the lower areas of their favorite brand. But the reality is out in other pages and other forums, where the average user gives his opinion, is objective and finally decides where to invest his money.
    Most people who meet here would buy a wooden telephone if OnePlus sold it to them

5. centraIpark
    Eclair Mar 30, 2018

centraIpark , Mar 30, 2018 :
    all it takes is one notch ??? and you drop brand ??

f1982 likes this.
  6. gneitingable
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

gneitingable , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Why do we need more screen? Shrinking bezels is OK but if your going to do a notch that you wont even see when you go full screen when watching a movie or playing a game, what is the point? OnePlus should offer two devices and see which one sells more. I'm vote no notch!

-The devil in me -

The notch is makes sense. How many of us have things in the middle of our notifications bar? Nothing else is there, so might as well use that space for screen right?

7. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2018

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    good bye. Nice knowing you.

8. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    I'm not quite following your question. Maybe it's me. Are you asking why they put a notch there that you won't be able to notice is there when watching a video? Why do you want to be able to see the notch? Or are you suggesting that you won't be able to see a part of the video because of the notch?

The screen ends below the notch, not above it. The video won't be interrupted by the notch. The bits of screen either side of the notch are there just for the status bar, which is cleaned away from the screen.

9. Nosophoros
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

Because every year OnePlus has been raising prices. And since a few weeks ago OnePlus is already dropping the mantra that the price of the devices will rise due to the technology used.
    Of course everyone knows that cloning and / or implementing legacy technology has always been more expensive than innovating.

10. f1982

f1982 , Mar 30, 2018 :
    What I really want to understand is:
    Why when all your comments are bashing the company, it's leaders, it's technology, products...everything....
    Why on earth are you here??? You seem to have an almost pathological hatred of the company and everything it does. Did you get lost looking for the Xiaomi forums or something?

11. Onni_Matilainen
    Froyo Mar 30, 2018

Onni_Matilainen , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Hey guys, I just want to break down my thoughts of the notch and oneplus having it so I'll do it here, this will be a long one so try to bare with me

When iphone x came out, i was basically a hater. The notch was ugly, the gestures felt weird and face id was slow and stupid.
    Time rolled by and I started realizing new things about the iphone x: Or well, I still prefer fingerprint over face unlocking but the notch has a reason; it's all about optimizing screen by pushing notifications to the top. The notch is also a current solution for the future of the smartphones. People don't like changes because it's often hard, like the headphone jack. But the future is wireless, we all know it and the future is 100% screen on phone, we all know it. So all that Apple is doing is it's being innovative and pushing smartphones to the future and other companies are following the trend not because Apple did it but because it's the future and it has reasons. The notch is a temporary solution for optimizing screen and pushing towards the future and believe it or not, you will get used to it. Same goes with the headphone jack, removing it has to be done at some point and yes, wireless earbuds aren't that great or cheap yet but will they ever be if no-one removes the headphone jack?
    I admit that the phone isn't the best looking if it has the notch and the chin bezel. But OnePlus doesn't have options as don't many other android manufacturers because it's really expensive to not have the bottom bezel. And many OnePlus fans enjoy OnePlus specifically because of the pricepoint, right?
    As phones are really big nowadays, they might be a little hard to keep in one hand. But the bigger screen phones are the best solution because you can fit the biggest battery, the biggest screen AND the phone can be easy to use by gestures. Gestures make the phone much easier to use in one hand and also faster because you don't have to reach up and down the screen and you can get home by one swipe.
    Another thing to keep in mind with the notch on the OnePlus 6 is that OnePlus is still providing options and so listening to the customers. So not only OnePlus is thinking the best for us by optimizing screen and making the phone easier to use, they are optimizing the notch by giving the option to hide it when watching videos/pictures and probably also giving the option to remove it completely if you really want to (like the huawei p20)
    So in conclusion, OnePlus is really doing the best they can, they're optimizing the screen and also optimizing the usage of the bigger phone but they're still making the notch the best-looking it can be and giving options to hide it because they know that everyone doesn't really like it.

P.S anyone else wanting ip67 rating really bad on the oneplus 6??

f1982, dalmia09 and Abruzini like this.
  12. nathaneous
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

nathaneous , Mar 30, 2018 :

G_Ahsan_Habib_Munna_jQOq

I have been using OP3...and was thinking about the 6 when it comes out....but it looks lyk need to settle for the one ai have alrdy or buy another phone...​

I've been in a similar position with the op3 being my primary phone. However I've just upgraded my phone contract today which includes the s9+ which will arrive on Tuesday. Initially my idea was to sell the s9+ and use the money for the new OnePlus 6 but once the notch was confirmed it ruled that out. I could still sell the phone when it arrives and get the Oneplus5t but I won't be giving my money to a company who has sold out on their customers and who don't listen to their consumers requirements. To be fair to Samsung their new phone is beautiful with no notch, the only downside for me is that i can't run resurrection remix oreo on it.. Guess I'll have to settle like Oneplus #VoteWithUrWallet

13. Nosophoros
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

No. I'm an infiltrator of the Google Pixel 2 forums. Really Google sent me here because this year feels really threatened by the possibility that the OnePlus 6 camera is better than the Pixel camera.

f1982 likes this.
  14. G_Ahsan_Habib_Munna_jQOq
    Froyo Mar 30, 2018

G_Ahsan_Habib_Munna_jQOq , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Yeah... Samsung phones are gorgeous....but I can't afford the s9+ for it's price...May b I'll go for the s8+ or w8 till the s9 comes within an affordable rate... :(

nathaneous likes this.
  15. Onni_Matilainen
    Froyo Mar 30, 2018

Onni_Matilainen , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Hey guys, I just want to break down my thoughts of the notch and oneplus having it so I'll do it here, this will be a long one so try to bare with me

When iphone x came out, i was basically a hater. The notch was ugly, the gestures felt weird and face id was slow and stupid.
    Time rolled by and I started realizing new things about the iphone x: Or well, I still prefer fingerprint over face unlocking but the notch has a reason; it's all about optimizing screen by pushing notifications to the top. The notch is also a current solution for the future of the smartphones. People don't like changes because it's often hard, like the headphone jack. But the future is wireless, we all know it and the future is 100% screen on phone, we all know it. So all that Apple is doing is it's being innovative and pushing smartphones to the future and other companies are following the trend not because Apple did it but because it's the future and it has reasons. Also, Samsung and Apple are basically the only companies that are big enough to do that big changes and Samsung would never do anything like that because they want to play it safe and never push to the future because they don't have the balls to do it (why I hate samsung) so Apple is the only one left. That's why "copying" Apple should stop being that big of a deal. The notch is a temporary solution for optimizing screen and pushing towards the future and believe it or not, you will get used to it. Same goes with the headphone jack, removing it has to be done at some point and yes, wireless earbuds aren't that great or cheap yet but will they ever be if no-one removes the headphone jack?
    I admit that the phone isn't the best looking if it has the notch and the chin bezel. But OnePlus doesn't have options as don't many other android manufacturers because it's really expensive to not have the bottom bezel. And many OnePlus fans enjoy OnePlus specifically because of the pricepoint, right?
    As phones are really big nowadays, they might be a little hard to keep in one hand. But the bigger screen phones are the best solution because you can fit the biggest battery, the biggest screen AND the phone can be easy to use by gestures. Gestures make the phone much easier to use in one hand and also faster because you don't have to reach up and down the screen and you can get home by one swipe.
    Another thing to keep in mind with the notch on the OnePlus 6 is that OnePlus is still providing options and so listening to the customers. So not only OnePlus is thinking the best for us by optimizing screen and making the phone easier to use, they are optimizing the notch by giving the option to hide it when watching videos/pictures and probably also giving the option to remove it completely if you really want to (like the huawei p20)
    So in conclusion, OnePlus is really doing the best they can, they're optimizing the screen and also optimizing the usage of the bigger phone but they're still making the notch the best-looking it can be and giving options to hide it because they know that everyone doesn't really like it.

P.S anyone else wanting ip67 rating really bad for the OnePlus 6?

16. Hussaini Abdul
    Eclair Mar 30, 2018

Hussaini Abdul , Mar 30, 2018 :
    My advice to the OnePlus team is to not get carried away and repeat the mistakes of the OnePlus 2; not listening to the fans and imposing unwanted features.

17. G_Ahsan_Habib_Munna_jQOq
    Froyo Mar 30, 2018

G_Ahsan_Habib_Munna_jQOq , Mar 30, 2018 :
    There is another phone I was considering that I forgot to mention...that is Nokia 7 plus... it's an Android one device...bt the prb is it has a mid range chipset...I really wished OP6 would be my next phone..... guess I need to settle down as well.

nathaneous likes this.
  18. nathaneous
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

nathaneous , Mar 30, 2018 :
    Yea its good to see Nokia back but with midrange chipset i would avoid. My wife has the s9+ and it is lightning quick! Not sure what other alternatives are out that allows custom roms with good specs? Was thinking pixel xl 2 but it's a bit dated now.

19. Nosophoros
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018

I am here because I can say something that not everyone can. I have owned all the OnePlus phones from the first to the last, except for the X, and I suffered in my flesh and in my wallet all the decisions of the company and for that reason I have every right in the world to write freely

20. Guru0277
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2018