[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. KSanath Cupcake Mar 31, 2018

KSanath, Mar 31, 2018 :
    Hi Pete. You shouldn't have just blindly followed Apple and actually listened to your customers. What we need. We don't want a notch. Don't give us your BS of you're doing this to give the consumers extra screen real estate. It's just that Apple had the b**ls to put it and make the design famous (due credit given to the Essential phone). Now you just want to copy it, like you always used to. If we wanted a phone with a notch, we would've already bought an iPhone X. May be you should change your company name to MeToo and copy iPhone everytime and release a phone. No need to bother yourself and write an explanation like this one. We all get it now.

May be you should also opt for lightning port and make us start using iTunes from OnePlus 6T. You ruined the OnePlus for us, Pete., at least for me.

Good luck to you. There won't be OnePlus for me anymore.

2. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Mar 31, 2018

dalmia09, Mar 31, 2018 :
    I have a life.
    You don't even know how to spell what you are criticizing! And here you are.
    Smh..

3. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Mar 31, 2018

dalmia09, Mar 31, 2018 :
    Wow! That's amazing! Never before have I seen a middle finger give a standing ovation! I'd sure like to see it!

4. akuadi Froyo Mar 31, 2018

5. danielgaczol Cupcake Mar 31, 2018

dscarpola likes this.
  6. lukesky Cupcake Mar 31, 2018

lukesky, Mar 31, 2018 :
    All that stuff about what Pete said would have been so true if they were the first to do it, but now they just look like mindless zombies copying everything that's trending.. just like all the other chinese companies. At least Xiaomi makes a real effort to look different with the Mi Mix 2S

all I can say is if they want to go with the notch, they better bring something awesome to the table, like a under-screen fingerprint scanner or a camera as good as the P20, else it's going to be bye bye OnePlus!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018

7. G_Francesco_Velino_nILC Gingerbread Mar 31, 2018

G_Francesco_Velino_nILC, Mar 31, 2018 :
    [QUOTE = "lukesky, post: 18067964, membro: 9608"] Tutta quella roba su ciò che dice Pete sarebbe stata così vera se sono stati i primi a farlo, ma ora sembra solo zombie senza cervello che copiano tutto ciò che è di tendenza .. proprio come tutte le altre compagnie cinesi. Almeno Xiaomi si sforza di apparire diverso con Mi Mix 2S

Grazie per averlo, è meglio avere qualcosa di fantastico al tavolo, come uno scanner di impronte digitali sotto lo schermo o una fotocamera come il P20, altrimenti sarà ciao ciao OnePlus! [/ CITAZIONE]

Esattamente, ripenso che non tornano, per me l'unica cosa che può cambiare idea è una fotocamera top, impronte sotto lo schermo e prezzo basso, altrimenti aspetterò la 6T o cambierò marca, ho aspettato quasi un anno per i miglioramenti del software della fotocamera oneplus 5, ma oggi solo parole! @Pete

8. Paul_W_ Honeycomb Mar 31, 2018

Paul_W_, Mar 31, 2018 :
    This notch thing is a fad in my opinion and these phones are going to look very unfashionable in the next year year or so.

dscarpola likes this.
  9. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2018

f1982, Mar 31, 2018 :
    It's two options. Both have compromises. But to say it's better can only be personal preference, since there are many more compromises with the mix2s solution than the OP6 solution.

10. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2018

f1982, Mar 31, 2018 :
    Weve got ourselves a well informed phone industry expert over here.

Hi Pete. You shouldn't have just blindly followed Samsung and actually listened to your customers. What we need. We don't want a large screen, 4" was enough. Don't give us your BS of you're doing this to give the consumers extra screen real estate. It's just that Samsung had the b**ls to put it and make the design famous (due credit given to the HTC phone). Now you just want to copy it, like you always used to. If we wanted a phone with a big screen, we would've already bought an NOTE 8. May be you should change your company name to MeToo and copy Samsung everytime and release a phone. No need to bother yourself and write an explanation like this one. We all get it now.

May be you should also opt for Knox and make us start using Dex from OnePlus 6T. You ruined the OnePlus for us, Pete., at least for me.

Good luck to you. There won't be OnePlus for me anymore.

We bow to your flawless knowledge. :neutral:

11. risky1301 KitKat Mar 31, 2018

risky1301, Mar 31, 2018 :
    This is not about OP doing what the consumer wants, it's about OP and every other manufacturer saying"well Apple is doing it, so we should do it" just like they all did with the headphone jack. See what they fail to realize is that OP stood apart from others because they were different, now it's just a copy and paste game. If I wanted a notch I would have went with Apple. Very disappointing OP, very disappointing!

danielgaczol and dscarpola like this.
  12. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2018

f1982, Mar 31, 2018 :
    This is not about OP doing what the consumer wants, it's about OP and every other manufacturer saying"well Samsung is doing it, so we should do it" just like they all did with the large screens. See what they fail to realize is that OP stood apart from others because they were different, now it's just a copy and paste game. If I wanted a large screen I would have went with Samsung Note 8. Very disappointing OP, very disappointing!

dscarpola, dalmia09 and risky1301 like this.
  13. risky1301 KitKat Mar 31, 2018

risky1301, Mar 31, 2018 :
    I see what you did there. You are right sir, the point of phones has come to a copy and paste game, everyone is copying from everyone. It's cool but some things you just leave alone, really a notch, next up is the OPP (OnePlus Pods) lol

dscarpola and f1982 like this.
  14. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2018

f1982, Mar 31, 2018 :
    My point was to (hopefully light-heartedly) show that what you were saying could equally apply to the note when it was originally released. It was a joke. It was laughed at. But within 1 year it was not a niche product, it was the standard model for all phones. What was ridiculed became what everyone wants. Now we have the majority of screens much bigger than the original note announced, and nobody even mentions it.
    The notch is the exact same. It's a step forward, gives us something more with hardly any downside. Why should we leave screens alone and stop improving them?
    The biggest reason people seem so annoyed by it is because they have been sucked into believing apple's marketing that they invented it. They didn't, they were just uncharacteristically first to use and popularise it .

15. Q1516836871551 Donut Mar 31, 2018

Q1516836871551, Mar 31, 2018 :
    how about reducing the bezel at the bottom of the screen instead of making that stupid copycat notch!!! or maybe you can change your slogan to "just settled"...

danielgaczol and dscarpola like this.
  16. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2018

f1982, Mar 31, 2018 :
    1. The bottom bezel is there because the screen needs to connect to the rest of the phone, so there needs to be somewhere for the connection ribbon.
    2. The notch is not a copycat, anymore than...well... practically every component of any phone. Stop being butt-hurt just because apple has popularised the latest new innovation by being first to market with it. It's not their invention, but your comment shows you've bought their marketing hook line and sinker.

17. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Mar 31, 2018

Cheetosdust, Mar 31, 2018 :
    For all the users who are fighting and insulting others because of a piece of black plastic, just remember one of my favorite quotes from Puscifer.

“We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye.”

18. Equivalence Froyo Mar 31, 2018

Equivalence, Mar 31, 2018 :
    The notch is probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a phone. I've been using OnePlus since the One, but looks like I'll be skipping this next one

dscarpola likes this.
  19. Kalash_kothiya Eclair Mar 31, 2018

dscarpola likes this.
  20. ralxtew Gingerbread Mar 31, 2018

ralxtew, Mar 31, 2018 :
    I'd argue about OP losing its DNA as a smartphone OEM, since it appears to have gone full apple copycat now in spite of my earlier assumptions with the 5, so i'll just vote with my wallet since that's what they seem to be exclusively concerned with.

That besides the fact OP is only a rebranding effort from BBK, and they're just desperately trying to put sense into the recycling of Oppo's designs