[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. Marucins
    Froyo Apr 2, 2018

2. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    You're missing my point. Apple didn't make that. But more specifically, all features of all mainstream phones are common on all phones. All phones are essentially minor variations on each other. Or to put it in the sense of your comment, 'every feature of every phone is copied from somewhere else'.

The top bezel embedded status bar (also known as notch) was not invented by apple. It was invented by multiple screen manufacturers when the technology allowed it, and from that point (approx 2 years ago, way before the iPhone X was announced) phone manufacturers made designs that used this capability to push the status bar into the top bezel, giving more of a full screen look without all the downsides of putting everything in the chin.

dalmia09 likes this.
  3. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    It's meant to be there for personal convenience, and only for general unlock, not for anything secure.
    If in your use it's not convenient because of your brother having a near identical face shape, then thank heavens for the secure, reliable and speedy fingerprint reader!
    I have to agree that I'm not particularly happy with face unlocking generally. And the current implementation on Android is barely better than it was a couple of years ago, hardly industry leading.
    My girlfriend has the iPhone X which does have industry leading face unlocking, and it's still nowhere as convenient or fast as a front mounted fingerprint reader.

4. F_Juha_Viertola_wDIQ
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2018

F_Juha_Viertola_wDIQ , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Nope. I don't like the notch not one bit.
    It's disruptive. Only few notifications and the area is full and after that it's not fast and easy.
    On an notcheless phone i can easily read the messages sutch as Whatsapp, straight from the notification bar, without openeing enyhing. With the notch i don't see that happening.

The notch is just a trend copied from essential to iphone to others. I dont see why everyone i have talked to hate it.
    Now the only thing missing is the back desing. Hope it won't copy iP8 or the iPX, like all other chinese phones. Leths keep something original here pleace.
    Even Huawei went to apple road

otrobruno, Oneyedmonkey and edtheduck like this.
  5. nathaneous
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2018

nathaneous , Apr 2, 2018 :
    All i see is oneplus customers opposed to the notch and the CEO's response is 'take it or leave it'.

I don't think anyone had a notch on the top of their wishlist for improvements to the OP5T. It goes to show how the company has become more detached from the user groups and community that it once listened to.

otrobruno and Oneyedmonkey like this.
  6. Waynepro
    Eclair Apr 2, 2018

Waynepro , Apr 2, 2018 :
    "This is such a first world problem"

The truth is that it really doesn't matter. Buy it if you like the notch or if you don't like it, donate some or all of of the money you would have spent to a charity - they'll need the money more than you'll need a 'notched' phone.

dalmia09 and f1982 like this.
  7. Justin Brunsdon
    Eclair Apr 2, 2018

Justin Brunsdon , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Have we all seen the new xiaomi phone on unbox therapy?

This is what i want oneplus to pull off.

I would absolutely buy it as soon as its available. But unfortunately I love to stay as close to stock android as possible.

8. Ashish Poudel
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

9. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    It's a great option. I'll be cobaiderico it too. However...not without compromises. Has a very large chin, (bigger than it looks in that photo) and face unlocking is awful on a bottom mounted camera.

10. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Your predicted issues with the notch either are known to not be correct, or makes little sense, and suggests you considerably misunderstand it what it does and how it works. I suggest you at least wait until you see a review video of it actually implemented before you write it off.

11. vacs
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

12. F_Juha_Viertola_wDIQ
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2018

F_Juha_Viertola_wDIQ , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Well i have seen lots of video reviews of phones with the notch and don't think my opinnion will change over 1+6.
    Sure i know what everyone is ameing with the notch and how it meant to work.
    But one can still hate it, just as onscreen buttons, camera humb and LCD displays, these are just personal preferences.

13. avecore
    Eclair Apr 2, 2018

avecore , Apr 2, 2018 :
    OMG! REALLY? It does not have an UGLY NOTCH therefore!!!

Only notch = ok
    Only chin = ok
    Notch + chin = UGLY HACK

Ggwppino likes this.
  14. 2pints

2pints , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Could do all that, but the issue being debated is not do you feel guilty spending all that money on a device when you could be giving it all to a charitable cause, its about the notch.

As far as I'm concerned the notch solution is an ugly compromise, its a prime example of when engineering ( we need a front facing camera) gets in the way of aesthetics ( we need to maximise screen to body ratio) instead of the engineering side working well with the aesthetics .
    If Apple came out with a round phone, then what, would OPPO also follow, and then Oneplus?

As soon as you see the Notch as a piece of intrusive bad design thats it, its there I would purchase a Oneplus variant with a notch is if the price is right, price it at the OP3/3T levels and i may be tempted to take it as a compromise, price it just below the Samsung Flagships ( either S8 or S9 ) and you can forget it.

15. Cikko
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2018

Cikko , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Notch identified with I Phone X other brands don't have to follow or simulate it. Secondly notch is not looking good on the scereen.

16. Faizaan sheikh
    Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Faizaan sheikh , Apr 2, 2018 :
    yeah u r right bro. one plus moves far away from costumer satisfaction, they just want to coppy what apple did. i think one plus, u should mention in your advertisement copy by apple or inspired by apple, they creat that and u r just copying so give them respect n mentioned their name .

17. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 2, 2018

meatandy , Apr 2, 2018 :
    That isn't what I was asking , If someone posts a comment or picture about a leak they should mention their source.

18. Exia_97
    Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Exia_97 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Whether or not Apple invented it or not, they popularized it and made it the current trend. We can agree or disagree on whether the notch is a good thing or not but you can't deny that a lot of the android phone manufacturers are copying this trend because of Apple.

Oneplus in the past made it a point not to be copy cats when it comes to Apple (3.5 headphone jack). Now they're essentially throwing that out by copying Apple's notch trend and telling us to "learn to love the notch". So yeah, settle for the notch.

19. Daracle
    Eclair Apr 2, 2018

Daracle , Apr 2, 2018 :
    I think One Plus users are One Plus users because of the original OP1 phone which came out and left literally everything in its dust by way of performance, technology and design. I've had most of the OP devices with the exception of the Op3, OpX and OP5T - The OP2 (my daughter uses) still going strong as is the 3T (my wife uses), even got the DR-1 too!

I was a fruit user (with a limitation of usage that I couldn't bear to continue to live with); a Samsung user (pricey devices) so when One Plus came on the scene it was no-brainer, I went with One Plus because I believe in giving the underdog a valid fighting chance to prove themselves. In this case, you did. One Plus brought disruptive cutting edge technology devices to the playground at a price that made flagship devices look very, VERY unattractive.
    I understand that market share is rife but One Plus, please get one thing straight, OP users don't want a fruit phone!! That's why we are OP users. We don't want to have a device that looks or feels like the latest fruit device, even if it is a fraction of the price, (which unfortunately is gradually increasing as you try to mimic them).
    We want to be different, we want to stand out and we are more than willing to give feedback (and ideas) as to how that can be achieved as to what we perceive to be the holy grail of mobile devices.
    Please try and listen to us more in the future - The OP6 seems that it will eventually have a notch. Your explanation is more than valid and the feature will most likely become something that we will all become accustomed to after a couple of weeks usage. But I'm sure that there are hundreds of really unique things that we (together. as an OP family of users), could brainstorm to add to a device so that you can relive the days of being a true "FLAGSHIP KILLER" by way of functionality, technology and bragging rights for us users!!!

Never Settle - EVER!!

P.S. Please, please, PLEASE don't lose the earphone jack whatever you do!!

20. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    I forgot to point out in my earlier post that "needing" a bottom bezel is just BS, as you can easily put the display ribbon in the upper bezel and eliminate the bottom bezel instead, no notch required!

please Oneplus, stop pretending that you're "innovating" you're just doing the most lazy and trendy thing out there.

Ggwppino likes this.