[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. riabiy.denis
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

riabiy.denis , Apr 2, 2018 :
    That's why I've bought OnePlus 5T as soon as I heard rumors about the noutch in OnePlus 6. And personally, I will NOT buy a phone with a noutch, if it has a gap at the bottom. I'm accepting the noutch only in iPhone, cause it has no gap at the bottom. They simply had no choice. And you have space there, but simply following the trend. I don't need an iPhone clone. I'd better buy an iPhone/Pixel/Xiaomi.

otrobruno and deathrodamus like this.
  2. deathrodamus
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

deathrodamus , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Gap? You mean bezel at the bottom?

3. riabiy.denis
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

Yes. Sorry, not a native speaker, don't know all the terms))

4. cemee
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

cemee , Apr 2, 2018 :
    OP users are different and like different and original things...
    OP6 can be a bit longer but without notch...
    With notch it has really no chance

deathrodamus likes this.
  5. deathrodamus
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

deathrodamus , Apr 2, 2018 :
    It's alright.

No offense though, it's just my compulsion to inform people about the correct terms

I don't like it either. It's ugly honestly speaking, but it's just my opinion. I don't know if anyone like the notch?

riabiy.denis likes this.
  6. riabiy.denis
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

Thank you))

deathrodamus likes this.
  7. nathaneous
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2018

nathaneous , Apr 2, 2018 :
    I prefer no notch, hardware navigation buttons, homebutton fingerprint sensor and a headphone jack. Call me a technology dinosaur but those are my smartphone preferences aesthetically.

otrobruno and Luis Sismeiro like this.
  8. kaihp
    Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

kaihp , Apr 2, 2018 :
    If you removed the FPS you could have been me.
    I'm fairly indifferent on the notch though, as I haven't really paid enough attention to make up an informed opinion.

Grumpy Old Men Faction, anyone?

nathaneous likes this.
  9. riabiy.denis
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

To my mind, noutch isn't bad by itself. It's bad, when you have bezzles at the bottom AND a noutch. cause you feel, that there is no need in it. In iPhone/Essential Phone they had no choice. OP is making "trandy phone"/"follows by Apple".

10. G_Preetham_M_K_Chennu
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

11. dhawalranka
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

dhawalranka , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Can't you just integrate, in the software, a way to hide the notch in settings kind of like the Huawei P20? I'm really looking forward to buying the OP6 but it would be great if you could do that.

gcocucci and f1982 like this.
  12. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    No, that's exactly what I'm disagreeing with.
    Apple made something that was going to be common amongst phone manufacturers popular simply by being the biggest company, and being one of the first. That's not in doubt.
    But the idea you're suggesting that it's because apple popularised it that OnePlus have it on the OP6 is just wrong.
    It takes 18-24 months from design to sale for a phone. This panel technology was made by screen manufacturers, and put into planned designs by multiple phone makers once it was on offer. Apple just got in there as one of the first.
    The OP6, LG G7, P20 and all the others coming out this year were designed before the iPhone X was even announced.

13. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Yeah, it does.

Only notch = prohibitively expensive
    Only chin = massive chin and significant compromises
    Tiny notch + tiny chin = inexpensive and few compromises

smitbhagat likes this.
  14. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    If you do that, pretty much by definition there is no longer any space for all the stuff that's in the notch. Unfortunately they haven't quite perfected the necessary tardis technology required. Basically what you're asking for the the 'all chin' design like mix 2s, but upside down. It would look, frankly, ridiculous.

15. Laslas19
    Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Laslas19 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    I don't care about the 6, since I bought the 5T and will most probably skip the next generation of smartphones (hopefully we're past the notch trend when I'm ready to get a new phone). My one fear is, in the new OxygenOS betas the notification area has been fully reworked to make room for a notch. Will I get the disadvantages of the notch on my device, without even having a notch? Please don't run the same software on the 6 and on the rest of the OnePlus phones

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018

16. f1982

f1982 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Can I ask why you (and many others) think that putting the status bar in the otherwise unused space within the upper bezel either side of the camera means a phone absolutely must have no chin bezel? I don't follow the logic at all. Why and how are the two things connected in your mind.
    It's like saying if a phone has a 3.5mm jack it HAS to have wireless charging. They aren't conected to one another. You seem to be advocating the exact idea that most people are enraged about- copying the iPhone X, by suggesting the idea that if you incorporate 1 little feature released on 1 phone already on sale, then you absolutely must make your phone a clone of that other phone.

This notch hysteria is madness.

It shows just how deep the tribalism of android Vs iPhone goes, where using a feature that's been on an iPhone for 6 months is heresy, because that would mean having to admit that something apple did wasn't completely stupid. And people would rather ostrasise one of 'their own' than say something apple did, that most manufacturers were planning on doing all along, is actually ok.

smitbhagat likes this.
  17. Mav007
    Eclair Apr 2, 2018

Mav007 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    As long as you can get onscreen finger print scanner, 256 GB, Price under 500/550 $ don't care too much about the notch

18. 2pints
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

2pints , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Is it a case of Apple v Android ( devices) or something else??
    Apple make some exceptionally well designed and engineered products, the Iphone is a case in point , however even companies like Apple make a design mistake every now and again and im my opinion with the latest case its with the IphoneX which according to reports hasn't been selling that well, either due to the ugly Notch, or the high price point

19. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Why? what I'm asking for is the OP5T but with the lower chin removed. I think that would look nicer than the current design. and at least original.

20. Almir.omeragic
    Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Almir.omeragic , Apr 2, 2018 :
    All of this is just a lot of explaining justifying unpopular and unwanted "notch".
    If you do something right there is no need for any explanation.
    Good is obvious. Bad = a lot of explaining words.
    Its just like iPhones poor battery. So much explaining so my ears bleed.

Ed_88 likes this.