[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

johnhart, Apr 2, 2018 :
    I get that. Sigh. Nevermind.

meatandy likes this.
  2. Ed_88 Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

Ed_88, Apr 2, 2018 :
    I hate fanboys and cultists just as much as you. but in this case no one can deny that it's the 3.5 mm jack removal all over again.
    why didn't Oneplus (or all other manufacturers other than Apple) copy the, Frankly, nice design of the essential phone?
    only apple did that and they even made it worse by creating a large notch for their face id gimmick.

suddenly every manufacturer went to sleep and woke up with a vision of a notched future and they all have VERY good reasons for why they put it there. and no no, it's just a coincidence that Apple did it before they got that vision...oh please!
    As for why did none of them copy Essential at least, when their notch does not need to be as big and obnoxious as Apple's is beyond me.

It's just lazy copying and it's very understandable that people are upset about that from a brand that's been claiming the "don't settle" Moto since they started, yet they've been copying iPhone designs since last year.
    I for one won't touch the OP6 with a stick. and not only cause I got the 5T and it will be at least another 2 years before I upgrade. but because I'm disappointed in this once original company.

3. tobberh Donut Apr 2, 2018

tobberh, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Using the word forgive means again that you don't want it, but can live with it. So why add this display defect when no-one wants it! I'm already pretty sure that while the 5T model quickly became the fastest selling phone, this horrible notch model will be the least sold one. Several polls and threads on Reddit shows that a huge majority of users don't want a notch! This is a feature only stupid marketing people thought was a good idea because Apple did it...

Spliffman likes this.
  4. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

f1982, Apr 2, 2018 :
    The essential notch is narrow but deep. The Oneplus 6 one is a bit wider but shallow. It's hard to say 1 is better than the other, both quite small. The iphoneX looks worst as it's so wide. Plus the OP6 has a chin twice as thin as the essential.
    Huawei, lg, OnePlus and all the others releasing notched phones this year had these designs in place 18-24 months ago. That's the typical timeframe from design to sale. These were all designed way, way before the iphoneX was announced. NONE of these manufacturers copied apple.
    Repeat- OnePlus DID NOT COPY APPLE. They are however about to release a phone with a similar screen feature to apples latest phone, but with a better physical appearance, and it appears they are implementing it way better than apple did.

5. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

f1982, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It would look almost identical to a mix2s, except held the wrong way up...and so look pretty ridiculous. Yes it would be unique, but not in a good way. It would have a niche appeal.

6. Ed_88 Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

Ed_88, Apr 2, 2018 :
    That's your opinion.
    my opinion, as well as many others, is that the notch looks most rediciouls.
    frankly speaking I don't think my solution looks nice either, I want a phone with symmetry just like the S9 or the 5T. I was just disproving their argument. at least my solution would give real screen estate rather than a notch. ugly? maybe, but so is a notch and yet they're asking us to "embrace it".

Oneyedmonkey and Spliffman like this.
  7. 2pints Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

2pints, Apr 2, 2018 :
    The notch looks ugly no matter what company is trying to push it, Apple, Essentail, LG, whoever

Spliffman, Exia_97 and Ed_88 like this.
  8. Ed_88 Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

Ed_88, Apr 2, 2018 :
    I just realized you're super active at replying to everyone who criticized the notch.
    are you a Oneplus employee? or just a huge fanboy?
    phones don't take that long to develop, just FYI. at least not the body design aspect of them they take 6 months at most. otherwise we'd be seeing leaked designs of the galaxy S12 and Oneplus 8 already.
    even your beloved Carl Pei admitted that they went with the notch cause now finally display manufacturers offer notched displays. i.e. if apple hadn't done it then there wouldn't have been a demand for notched screens, thus no production of them, thus your argument is incorrect cause this production trend only started recently. and was accelerated by the poor sale of the iPhone X which left unused capacities from the screen producers.

mohammed32, Spliffman and Exia_97 like this.
  9. Exia_97 Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Exia_97, Apr 2, 2018 :
    I was hoping to question him on his 18-24 months time frame. I talked to a friend who works in the industry and he said nowhere near that long.

Say I believe the 18-24 month time frame. The 5t was released less than 6 months after the 5. Somehow the 5t satisfied a lot of the criticism of the 5, one being the big bezels. I'm to believe that oneplus started production on the 5t way before the 5 and they knew already what was wrong with the 5? Are they psychic at oneplus too?

Spliffman and Ed_88 like this.
  10. G_Mitchou_Ptchou_SjmZ Froyo Apr 2, 2018

G_Mitchou_Ptchou_SjmZ, Apr 2, 2018 :
    I will definitely skip a year of new phones.

The 5T might stay for a long period. As long they produce such notchy notch I don't want such a phone in my hands.

Cheers,
    Where are those good designers.

Why So Serious? and Spliffman like this.
  11. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 2, 2018 :
    You are so right my friend......that 18-24 month time frame would make Oneplus look even more silly for realeasing the OP5, when Peter Lau even said that the 18:9 larger screen was not practical for them to do for the OP5....then a few months later they do the 18:9 on the 5T.......there are holes all in that argument

Exia_97 likes this.
  12. Exia_97 Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Exia_97, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Exactly. From the 3 to the 5t, we have 4 phones released about 6 months from each other in a 2 year span. If it takes at least 18 months to develop each phone as he says, then oneplus is working on the 3t, 5 and 5t all at the same time??

Face it F1982, directly or indirectly, we have apple to thank for the notch. Apple popularized it. The IPhoneX didn't preform as well as Apple wanted it to so they backed up on production. Becayse of that, we have an influx of notched screens on the market. Android companies took on the notch because the screens are now readily available for cheaper than usual because of the influx. These companies also now had cover for using the notch because Apple popularized it. Everything points to Apple for the notch, whether or not they started/invented it.

mohammed32 and Spliffman like this.
  13. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Well said, and any other conclusion is to ignore the facts!!! No notch for me...and not for many others, as this thread, polls, and all other indicators of the consensus of end users show.......it is plain and simple ugly....and does not provide any real advantages for the user...despite how OP is spinning it.

14. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 2, 2018 :
    btw Apple rarely invents anything :), they are just good at marketing stuff.....hey, Oneplus is copying that model too LOL

15. Exia_97 Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Exia_97, Apr 2, 2018 :
    That's what irks a lot of people the most about oneplus and the notch. Oneplus started out as a flagship killer directly aimed at Apple and Samsung. Now, they're just doing the same things they are.

Carl Pei tried to tell us to "learn to love the notch", in other words settle. He was destroyed on twitter for it and then Pete Lau had to create this thread as a former of damage control. The majority of people don't like the notch. Even the ppl who don't hate the notch, are just ok with it for the most part. No one loves the notch. Still oneplus made the decision to go with the notch and not listen to its fans...

mohammed32 and Spliffman like this.
  16. Ggwppino Cupcake Apr 2, 2018

17. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

f1982, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Yes I've been correcting people's wrong assertions on this issue heavily over the past week. Why? Because people keep getting things wrong, then justifying a complete overreaction to an issue with those wrong statements.
    And I'm sorry you continue to be wrong on this issue too. Phones are planned 18-24 months away from their release. That's not my opinion, that's fact. It is not a few months. People seem to assume that manufacturers only start thinking about the next phone a few months after the previous one is released. The reality is they're starting to think about the phone after the next phone at that time.
    Minor changes can be made quite late, but the overall design and parts orders are made early.
    iPhone X was announced 6 months ago. All these phones we are seeing now we're already planned with a notch before apple showed anything. You might not feel like that's true or want to believe it, but I can assure you it's true.
    The iPhone DID NOT provide a blueprint for the introduction of these notched screens. The only thing it did is popularise the idea that apple invented it.
    I'm not here to convince you to like the look of a notch the way apple did it. I'm not trying to convince you to buy a Oneplus 6 as there are many awesome phones to choose from, and we don't even know what it's capable of yet compared to its peers. But Im sick of seeing so many overreactions to something that's as inoffensive as antenna bands on the rear of the cover when done properly. But more than that sick of people justifying their opinion with things which are demonstrably untrue.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018

smitbhagat likes this.
  18. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Notch is ugly and most users do not like it, OEMs are trying to ram it down our throats, plain and simple.

19. Exia_97 Froyo Apr 2, 2018

Exia_97, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Care to cite where you got your 18-24 months from? Like I said I asked someone who work in the industry how long it takes and he said nowhere near as long. There would be no way Apple, Samsung and others could release a flagship every year on that schedule let alone oneplus releasing one every 6 months

Ed_88 likes this.
  20. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

f1982, Apr 2, 2018 :
    If you mean by offering it for you to buy whilst there is a very healthy level of choice about what device you buy accross a range of price points, then yeah they're practically ramming it down your throat sideways.
    And again, how is it ugly if it's permanently blacked out and appears as an unoffensive virtual status bar in the upper bezel? It looks like a slimmer bezel 5T.
    This is like getting angry with a phone maker saying their phone is ugly because you don't like the stock wallpaper.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018