[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. f1982 Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

f1982, Apr 2, 2018 :
    Honestly no, having not recently written a PHD on the subject, I don't have references immediately to hand.
    I am aware of that timescale in the same way I am aware how pens work, but I couldn't pull a 'source' out of my backside to counter someone's incorrect suggestion that pens are all made of chalk.
    It would be pointless anyway because you won't believe what I show you anyway, because you don't want to.
    But more specifically, you don't seem to understand how phone manufacturering works at all. The truth is literally the opposite of what you said. Companies like that could not produce a new phone on the schedule they do UNLESS they had a 18-24 month lead time. Like I said, they can make minor changes late on. They could take an existing project and change it to rush out something different if necessary. But yes my friend, it takes that long from the start of design until sale.

2. Oneyedmonkey Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

Oneyedmonkey, Apr 2, 2018 :
    [​IMG]

riabiy.denis likes this.
  3. 2pints Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

2pints, Apr 2, 2018 :
    It doesnt matter whose copying who, if anyone, the notch is an awful addition to iOS powered devices so far just the iPhoneX model, and hopefully it will stay that way, and likewise its an awful design choice on Android, likkewise it would be a bad choice on whatever screen.

Ever since early man started to live in buildings some sort of opening was required, either a window, unglazed of course as Glass hadn't been invented or a door, neither of which feature a notch hanging down, if doorways had notch's then everyone would have a sore head (mind the Notch! - bumpf - ouch)

When we started to paint on canvas/papyrus or other portable surfaces a notch wasnt put into the painting for that would be ridiculous, as it would be in photography, movies, and so on.
    How many Tvs are sold with a Notch? ?

The only thing that has a notch of any use is a car, or any other vehicle that may be driven, where its known as a sun shade, and then if its not required you flip it out of the way as it becomes irritating, hanging down and getting in the way.

Over millennia we have become accustomed to looking at the world through an aperture with (reasonably) straight edges, weather that be a window, someone else's interpretation of the world via the means of a classical painting in a gallery, on a piece of photographic paper, at the movies, on TV all of these work better without a notch in the way, and so do smartphones and other tech with screens

4. mohammed32 Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

mohammed32, Apr 3, 2018 :
    stop crying like baby boy for oneplus Do not force anyone to accept your point of view as you are the only one know every thing and what is wrong or right people hate notch so stop reply to them as crying baby no no you are wrong that the company right blablabla

Oneyedmonkey likes this.
  5. risky1301 KitKat Apr 3, 2018

risky1301, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I think that the notch is just a middle ground until manufacturers find a way to go completely bezel less. It probably won't be around long as phones are becoming more and more screen prevalent. Larger screens were were only natural as phone capabilities become much more able to do much more than just take a call.

*And yes it was light hearted!

6. smitbhagat Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

smitbhagat, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I may have to disagree.
    The notch in phones have a purpose i.e , housing the front camera and other sensors. As far as i know,TVs , cars and windows don't have that

7. Exia_97 Froyo Apr 3, 2018

Exia_97, Apr 3, 2018 :
    So you response is because you said so. If you had showed me anything I would definitely consider it. That's the point of debate. When you only bring "because I said so" points to the debate, you're not being fair.

8. meatandy Nougat Apr 3, 2018

meatandy, Apr 3, 2018 :
    @Pete or @Carl
    I'm very curious to hear your thoughts about the hardware procurement process and how the notched screen is acquired from a manufacturer and how that decision is made to go forward with a particular piece of hardware , in this case the screen.

How many Notch panels versus other styles of screens were offered to OnePlus during the design process?

MikhailTheItalian likes this.
  9. Voxmagna Donut Apr 3, 2018

Voxmagna, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I dont mind the notch, if they can make it more subtle the better... like that of the Essentials PH-1. Honestly i would love to see the screen wrap around the camera and speaker all together. :D

10. SaakethPula Eclair Apr 3, 2018

SaakethPula, Apr 3, 2018 :
    just shut up. you can hide the notch. it really doesn't matter. stop being such a baby. the phone is damn fast and If you want that then you'll have to deal with it

11. amartens181 KitKat Apr 3, 2018

amartens181, Apr 3, 2018 :
    The notch is cancer. Boycott all phones with it otherwise it will spread and destroy your life.

Spliffman likes this.
  12. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Who said it's permanently blacked out? Or are you talking about the Huawei P20? Haven't seen anything saying that it's permanently blacked out on the op6

13. MikhailTheItalian Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

MikhailTheItalian, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I think it's too late

14. K.plus Eclair Apr 3, 2018

15. Nosophoros Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

Nosophoros, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Oh yeah. And when they eliminate the 3.5 jack they will also give us a solution to draw one by software.

Ed_88 and amartens181 like this.
  16. amartens181 KitKat Apr 3, 2018

amartens181, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Magix

17. Nosophoros Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

Nosophoros, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I could perfectly tell you that just giving work to fanboys like you that don't have nothing better to do than spend the day in front of a screen trying to justify the stupidities of a manufacturer and answering anyone who thinks differently. But no...
    I'm here basiclly because I want.

18. SidRoy5T Eclair Apr 3, 2018

SidRoy5T, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Not sure why, but I still feel like there won't be any notch on OP6.
    [e]1f601[/e]

19. iPhone5lol Cupcake Apr 3, 2018

iPhone5lol, Apr 3, 2018 :
    A bigger screen-to-body ratio is useless if you can't properly use that extra screen space. I've thought about this for a while, and I'm now even willing to say that Samsung's curved glass edges and Apple's notch are both just ways to make the phone look better on paper, while cutting corners and decreasing user satisfaction.

Ed_88 likes this.
  20. AbuHuzaifah Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

AbuHuzaifah, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Notch is Okay for Me. Just add hiding option for the haters. The main deal breaker will be wireless charging and 1080 screen for me. It should support Wireless charging and better screen.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018