[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Or the 6T [e]1f601[/e]

2. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2018

f1982 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Again no answer to my question, and the only response a poor attempt at ad hominem.
    Like I thought....

3. f1982

f1982 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    So if it was blacked out you'd agree that there is no justification to any argument that it looks bad, that it copies apple, or that it's a stupid decision to have it?
    Because if it's black, it basically looks like an improved 5T but with the status bar cleaned off the screen.

4. f1982

f1982 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Yes, it's general knowledge in the mobile industry. I'm not pretending to be an expert, but I am a fan of the industry and follow it closely, and this is just one of those things that you pick up when you follow something. It is what it is.
    Whether it can take 18-24 months to get a phone made from start to finish let's remember is not what were actually talking about here. If they did a rush job and got it all done in 12 months, all these notched screen phones we are seeing now would STILL have been designed 6 months BEFORE the iphoneX was announced.
    That is what we were talking about, and it remains the case that our perception as customers that a phone that comes out later than another is a reaction to the first, even if it was only a few months apart.
    To give you an analogy, it would be like 2 different people ordering take away food by phone, then both going to the restaurant to collect. Whilst person 1 collects and is ready to walk out, person 2 behind them gets handed an almost identical order.
    Person 3 who is idly watching the scene accuses person 2 of copying person 1.
    The idea they copied is ridiculous when you understand they both ordered from what was available generally on the market, but most specifically ridiculous because person 2 ordered their food way, way before they saw person 1 collecting their food 1 place ahead of them.

5. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

dm146 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    I can't understand what the debate is about. I fully support the notch, as it allows you to get a couple millimeters more screen space that is usable in most circumstances. Why would you not want more screen space?

Vecopotryx and dalmia09 like this.
  6. f1982

f1982 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    No doubt you're absolutely right there. Maybe customers will choose phones that are 'all chin' and phones will go that route. Phone manufacturers make what people are going to buy. If they show interest by purchasing more of those phones, then more of those phones will be available.
    The ideal solution would be an under display camera, but the tech just isn't there yet.

7. f1982

f1982 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    I'm not forcing anyone to like the notch solution. I am however picking people up on falsehoods they write here about it. If people have a better and valid argument as to why I'm wrong, please engage. This is a discussion forum, that's literally the point of the forum. To discuss.
    Have a nice day.

dalmia09 likes this.
  8. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Your arrogance baffels me sir! you think you're the only one who's correct. that is exactly the Dunning–Kruger effect at play.
    You claim that your fact of 18-24 months is demonstrably right? well I can prove you wrong my good sir:

take a look here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus-phones-95.php

The original Oneplus was released on June 2014 in limited quantities due to the company's small size.
    followed then by the Oneplus 2 in August 2015 and the Oneplus X in November 2015. that's 14 and 17 months respectively to make not 1, but 2 new devices from a new comer company.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Oneplus started designing and manufacturing the Oneplus 2 as well as the Oneplus X before they even knew if they'd succeed as a company? I sincerely doubt that. they didn't have the staff or the money to design or order pieces for their next phone when their current phone (the original Oneplus) was hardly being produced due to supply shortages and low yields.

So I'd stop calling everyone wrong if I were you. especially on something as subjective as the notch. people hate it, customer is always right.

mohammed32 likes this.
  9. androidForever9864
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

androidForever9864 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Just for information, whether you like the notch or not:

Google is already integrating the possibility of a notch into future Android versions. So smartphone vendors have a decend API to use for that, instead of implementing a proprietary solution.

At the first view, I didn't like the notch. Since now a lot of vendors showed smartphone models with it, I get used to it more or less. So a notch in a OP6 would not be a problem for me.

10. Ggwppino
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2018

Ggwppino , Apr 3, 2018 :
    AbuHuzaifah

Notch is Okay for Me. Just add hiding option for the haters. The main deal breaker will be wireless charging and 1080 screen for me. It should support Wireless charging and better screen.

but why is it the person who has to adapt to technology and not the opposite, as has always been done? Notch is not for me, it's the technology that must put me at ease, not the other way around. especially if the notch is unjustified since there is also the bottom chin.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

11. labib123
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

labib123 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    I think the main problem I'd have with the notch is not the asthetic aspect but rather the fact that it'll make the phone look like an iPhone X knock off. Sure apple wasn't the first to implement the notch but as we all know it's apple who 'essentially' popularized it. Where I come from OnePlus is still a relatively unknown brand and for people to think that you're using a knockoff iPhone X is gonna be quite unpleasant . I've always had people asking me about the OnePlus phone I had in my hand and I was proud to tell them all about it because OnePlus had it's own identify and personality. Now the impression they'll be getting is that OnePlus is a company which is very good at making Android iPhone clones.

12. D1522744646015
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2018

D1522744646015 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    no, once I do not buy a phone with a strip in the top of which the company prefaced the apple. And the most important thing is that the direct competitor is Samsung and they did not do this and did it right.

nathaneous likes this.
  13. f1982

f1982 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    I'm arrogant in the same way someone is arrogant when they're trying to explain that bananas are yellow to someone who is convinced that yellow bananas are impossible.
    You keep misunderstanding these timings. The release dates of phones has nothing to do with how long they spent designing, developing, testing and manufacturing it. Why do you keep thinking on the assumption they only start getting ideas together after the previous phone is released?! They don't! And why do you think it's not possible to work on 2 different models at once like they did with the OPX?
    This isn't arrogance, it's you not grasping this fundamental format for phone manufacturers.
    Finally, I'm not calling anyone wrong for disliking the look of a notch in the way iPhoneX does it. That's completely personal preference. What I'm explaining as wrong are many of the reasons people give, which are incorrect or misguided, as to WHY they have already written off this particular feature.

14. Ed_88
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

Ed_88 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    why do I think it's not possible to work on two phones at the same time? I didn't say I don't think it's possible. my point was that an emerging company did it in less than 18 months (which according to you equates to blue bananas).

Look, here is another proof for ya:
    Oneplus was established as a company in December of 2013 [Wikipedia], their first phone came in June of 2014 (it was announced and shown off in April of 2014) [GSMarena.com]. But I believe that from December to April,that's only 5 months.
    Or are you going to claim they designed the phone before the company was even established?

Besides you keep saying you know a lot but you haven't written a PhD paper on the subject but you have no sources. which is just lazy and suggests to me that you don't know what you're talking about at all.

but here, a 2 minutes Google search yielded this article from Engadget back in 2011 discussing the phone release cycles at At&T:
    "But producing a phone doesn't just happen overnight. The development cycle of a typical smartphone -- going from conception to a full-out launch -- usually ranges from ten to eighteen months" [Engadget]

https://www.engadget.com/2011/11/15...hone-comes-to-life-behind-the-scenes-part-on/

that's 10-18 months, not 18-24. and that's for a career locked phone (costs extra months in development due to regulations and network pass tests). furthermore it says till full lunch, we know the phone is fully designed and in prototype stage at least 3 months before the product is released, so that's in the ballpark figure of 6-7 months...that's in 2011. Things have gotten much faster now adays, especially for Chinese manufacturers. I bet you that you can design and produce a phone in China in 4 months. it's all standard equipment, you only need to design the chasy around these pieces and it's exactly what companies like Oneplus do, it's why we can get them for half the price of an iPhone.

so once again, stop being arrogant, unripe bananas can be green, you're wrong ;)

15. Stijnvi
    Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

Stijnvi , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Probably this is all one big April fools joke. Carl or Pete just tweeted the PeiCoin is just as real as the OnePlus 6. So eother OnePlus is making it's own cryptocurrency, or this is all one big April fools joke

16. Bambyl
    Eclair Apr 3, 2018

Bambyl , Apr 3, 2018 :
    ONE PLUS DONT WANT AND REFUSED FOLLOWERS NEEDED.. SOON OR LATER PETE LAU WILL SEE THE CONSEQUENCES ABOUT..
    WE LOVE OP WITHOUT YOUR NOTCH YR SAD NOTCH..BIG OR SMALL,WE DONT NEED..
    WHY DONT U DO IT LIKE OP 5T..WHY...?????

17. Manas Saha
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

Manas Saha , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Why can't they make displays without the ribbon cable at the bottom? can't the cable be placed at the middle of the backside of the display ?

18. Spliffman
    KitKat Apr 3, 2018

Spliffman , Apr 3, 2018 :
    If it blacks out it is merely a workaround, but I will admit it would be better than having it visible. I assume you saw the image posted by Oneplus and that it was not blacked out. And that you know that Oneplus has said nothing to indicate that it will able to be permanently backed out..
    It still stops a lot of features that I like, for instance, center clock on status bar... And also it will limit the number of notifications that will be able to be displayed on the status bar. Oneplus said that "in their research" that area of the status bar goes unused in normal use. Well that is not true for me, sometimes I run out if space with the current full status bar :) , my phone is very active.
    Also I would still say it it a copy of Apple, and that Apple doing it influenced Oneplus to do it which Carl Peí himself said.
    I also love custom roms and Status bar theming i.e. Center Clock, changing icons, and applying accent color to status bar items . .. And I am imagining the issues that will arise with that, and the limitations I already mentioned by having the center section of the status bar unavailable..also even with black out option (which I don't think they are doing ) we would basically be stuck with a permanently black status bar with white text, theming will be nullified.
    But I take your initial point, that the hypothetical blackout option would be better than having notch visible.

19. Jovericain
    Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

Jovericain , Apr 3, 2018 :
    people complain about the notch because they don't understand it.
    the notch gives more space on the screen. if you don't understand that, take a OP5t, put the front camera closer to the earpiece, then take both sides space around the camera and earpeace and use them to display notifications instead of being black frame.
    you have to understand that manufacturers don't put the notch on the screen, but use the sides of the frames to display things like notifications.
    take the height of the notch, you'll see that it's not bigger than any top bezel of the op5t or a Samsung device. and it will be equal to the bottom bezel. Which means, the moment you'll watch medias, you'll see the same thing as you would see on a OP5t or a Samsung device.

20. Spliffman
    KitKat Apr 3, 2018

Spliffman , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Brilliant Sherlock! You really think that is hard for us who do not like the notch to understand? :) we just do not like how it looks... It is ugly as hell for those of us who do not like it..its not that we don't understand the things you said. I personally don't see those arguments as justifying the use of the notch, as opposed to a normal thin top bezel a la S9

Tapan Kumar and mohammed32 like this.