[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. Jovericain Eclair Apr 3, 2018

Jovericain, Apr 3, 2018 :
    good for you if you understand it! but a lot of people see it as a loss of space on the screen, while it's the opposite! just saying...

2. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Well if Oneplus stay true to form, the OP6 will ship with permanent notch, always visible except in videos , because the permanent black out option will "not be available at this time", or not practical at this time. . (Much like 18:9 screen ratio and smaller bezels could not be done on the op5, but miraculously appeared shortly thereafter on the 5T). Then, the 6T will ship with permanent black out of notch, or maybe even a better implementation and no notch :p :rolleyes::D

3. G_PM7Gaming_vpja Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2018

G_PM7Gaming_vpja, Apr 3, 2018 :
    it's all about [e]1f4b0[/e]

4. Wing Nut Eclair Apr 3, 2018

Wing Nut, Apr 3, 2018 :
    The first thing OP needs to do is make a shortcut to jump to the most recent post in a thread using the app. Man! I'll just trying to keep up with any news about the screen, and all I see is a bunch of whining about "the notch."

First, those who complain that it's copying Apple, news flash...that's part of OP's founding principles. Carl has said that their goal is to combine the openness of android with the beauty, smoothness, and hardware of Apple. Granted, the beauty of the notch is highly subjective.

Second, given OP's attention to detail, I'm sure the implementation of the notch will be very effective. If they give a software option to black out the notch, then what difference does it make? Additionally, they can always do it later via software update if need be. So if you're jumping ship because of the notch, you're clearly not part of Oneplus' core clientele.

I can understand the worries about OP not listening at this point. But like I said, I'm sure they'll provide options for the notch.

My only disappointment is that the price is still going up. Granted it's cheaper than many other phones, and it's great bang for the buck, but my OP3 was an excellent deal when I bought it 2 years ago.

So Oneplus, count me in.

5. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf Froyo Apr 3, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf, Apr 3, 2018 :
    I think the whole Notch thing is really being blown out of proportion. We're just expecting too much from OnePlus and to be fair I think that they're doing their best even if it is just to catch up with competition rather than stay ahead.

Fact is.... We are limited by the technology of our time. That day when we can have 100 % screen real estate is still a few years away... Probably even less. Even Apple has a notch on their iPhone X. (What sets it apart from the other notched phones is the lack of a chin which is only possible because of a flexible screen that is obviously expensive and hence the $1000 tag. And we all know by now how weak their sales are at the moment). Just because they did it first it doesn't make other OEM's copycats. Nobody complained when almost every Android phone maker adopted the 18:9 aspect ratio.

Personally until the OP6 is actually released and reviewed, I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about it. Maybe a notch toggle will help. But until we can get a completely absolutely totally bezel-less screen for much cheaper, I guess we will just have to either embrace the notch or just stick to the OP 5T or whatever phone we are using right now and wait.....

6. macemoneta Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

macemoneta, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Apple didn't do the notch first. It started with the Essential Android phone. Apple saw that as a solution to its problem, which popularized it. Now that people are accepting it on iPhone, other Android manufacturers are using it to solve the same issue.

7. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf Froyo Apr 3, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Yes you're right. The Essential phone was the first to introduce the notch. And it was a very different kind of notch. I was referring to the iPhone X- notch design since that is the point of contention here that's making a lot of people disappointed.

Interestingly the Essential phone notch was well-received if I remember correctly.

8. Achillias Eclair Apr 3, 2018

Achillias, Apr 3, 2018 :
    This is the Essential notch and I actually think it's the best notch of them all. If Essential get rid of the bottom bezel their design will be the best of them all. Just hoping that the Essential PH-2 will get released soon.

9. nathaneous Honeycomb Apr 3, 2018

Spliffman likes this.
  10. Pete CEO Staff Member Apr 4, 2018

Stickied Post
    Pete, Apr 4, 2018 :
    A black-out feature was seriously considered in the early stages of the development of the OnePlus 6. At the time we decided against adding this feature. We wanted to focus all of our time and resources on delivering an exceptional full-screen experience. I still believe the best way to experience the OnePlus 6 is using the full potential of the display. Recently many users have raised interest in having a black-out function. We respect your feedback, and would like to give everyone the ability to choose. This function will enable you to black out the background of the notifications and status bar. It will be added in a future software update released after the launch of the OnePlus 6. Look forward to sharing this new update with you all. Thank you for making us better!

11. Cheetosdust KitKat Apr 4, 2018

Cheetosdust, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Nice, more options is great.

I hope this clarifies some doubts floating around here in community. :)

12. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 4, 2018

youbi, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Good to know that the option will be added. Because the truth is that with that on most of that notch "hate" stops making sense. That way everyone can be happy about it. :p

superplus, obakesan, dalmia09 and 3 others like this.
  13. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Apr 4, 2018

dsmonteiro, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Curious to know if it's an AMOLED or IPS display. The blackout works great if it's an AMOLED panel, but not that great if it's IPS.

14. Karthik Peddi Cupcake Apr 4, 2018

Karthik Peddi, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Well now you can do one thing.....
    Release OnePlus 6T without a notch.
    Leave us the decision to choose!

veryjiggy likes this.
  15. AnonymousWP Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

AnonymousWP, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Since OnePlus is a big fan of AMOLED, and they use AMOLED since the OnePlus X, 3 3T etc, the 6 will also feature an AMOLED display I think. Marginal chance it won't.

16. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Apr 4, 2018

Oppo and Vivo are using both techs in current notched phones: some IPS, some AMOLED. And Pete made mention of this:

Finally, as our devices gain in worldwide popularity, we need to scale up production accordingly. That means using a display that is readily procurable is the only way we can keep up with global demand. This translates to fewer delays, faster shipping, and the ability to service more people. Our mission is to share the best technology with the world. We dedicated ourselves to implementing a display that is both scalable, while delivering a viewing experience that matches our quality standards. To grow into a sustainable business, we have to deliver a high quality experience on every level. In order to do so, we will continue to make use of any opportunity to improve the accessibility of our devices around the world.

Seems a hint of changing to IPS, tbh.

17. AnonymousWP Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

AnonymousWP, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Maybe I interpret your post wrong, but I don't see any hint with that last sentence Pete said.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  18. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Apr 4, 2018

They had screen panel shortages with AMOLED. Why mention scalability and "making use of any opportunity to improve the accessibility"?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's my current guess.

Baymax and AnonymousWP like this.
  19. joe460 Cupcake Apr 4, 2018

joe460, Apr 4, 2018 :
    A. Since the notch is now confirmed. I can confirm this may be the first time I don't upgrade. No OP6 for me...

TaranQ likes this.
  20. fibonacci2526 Gingerbread Apr 4, 2018

fibonacci2526, Apr 4, 2018 :
    nah, the op6 will be an AMOLED display. nailed on.