[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. TaranQ Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

TaranQ, Apr 4, 2018 :
    A company that follows the stupid design rules of Apple, making a compromise to deal with design limitations (by god Steve Jobs would step out of his grave seeing this) is hardly worth the slogan "never settle".
    A notch is a definit no-go for me!

2. Salvjo Eclair Apr 4, 2018

3. fibonacci2526 Gingerbread Apr 4, 2018

fibonacci2526, Apr 4, 2018 :
    you do know that the mi 7 will also come with the notch eh?

4. TaranQ Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

TaranQ, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Xiaomi will do the job other's can't (or better : are to lazy to do)

5. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 4, 2018

youbi, Apr 4, 2018 :
    This is obviously not going to happen, but if it did, To be honest I think notch would sell more than the one without it. Because the truth is that we do have lots of notch allergic guys around here, and they are quite vocal about it. But you don't really see the notch lovers that vocal also. :D

The truth is that most people will just see the screen notch for what it is, a simple way to have a bigger screen while still keep the needed sensors, and nothing more. And with no need to get radical about it. ;)

No sure if I get what you mean, but are you saying that would rather have teh all notch sides completely back and a regular status bar below that? What do you gain with that option besides losing a portion of the screen?

meatandy and Martin70 like this.
  6. TaranQ Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

TaranQ, Apr 4, 2018 :
    It would be the same as making a big black dot on your screen to put the fingerprint scanner because it is too hard to integrate into the screen, but in the end it is ugly as hell. So is this notch, I wonder who came up with this most stupid idea off all smartphone times and even more whoever in gods name took that as an example. Just leave a small bezel there, nothing wrong with that, that makes the phone still look slick, instead of a screen that looks like someone took a bite off.

7. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 4, 2018

youbi, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Can you explain this last part? How can a phone without notch be more useful than one with notch? what do you exactly gain to make it more "useful"?

I'm not talking about aesthetics, because that's not an objective thing, and its up to everyone's personal taste, I'm just trying to get the useful part.

8. 9689633447 Gingerbread Apr 4, 2018

9. TaranQ Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

TaranQ, Apr 4, 2018 :
    but as we all know it's just a matter of a 'T'. I guess everyone will wait for the OP6T which would be without the notch :)

Tapan Kumar and waldwolf like this.
  10. Martin70 Honeycomb Apr 4, 2018

Martin70, Apr 4, 2018 :
    I cannot understand why the notch is such a source of complaints. The screen is going to be bigger - thanks to the notch - so this has to be a "glass half full" moment at the very least. Would we really choose a smaller notchless screen over a bigger one? Now that it is confirmed that we will (eventually) be able to hide the notch this is much ado about very little. The bigger issue for me is will the screen be AMOLED.

zygi10s and dalmia09 like this.
  11. michaljana Donut Apr 4, 2018

Spliffman likes this.
  12. IronHammer1024 Cupcake Apr 4, 2018

IronHammer1024, Apr 4, 2018 :
    There is already an app in play store to black out the notch - Nacho notch. Here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xda.nachonotch&hl=en_US

dalmia09 likes this.
  13. Spliffman Jelly Bean Apr 4, 2018

Spliffman, Apr 4, 2018 :
    Thanks for the explanation...just what I've always wanted , a display with ears on it:confused:

14. Wing Nut Froyo Apr 5, 2018

Wing Nut, Apr 5, 2018 :
    Because Xiaomi doesn't copy iPhones at all...

Haha, smh

15. waldwolf Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2018

waldwolf, Apr 5, 2018 :
    If OP doesn't sell any "notched" OP6's, there won't be a notched OP6T.
    (Which, come to think about it, may not be a bad thing.):rolleyes:

16. y_srikanth Donut Apr 5, 2018

y_srikanth, Apr 5, 2018 :
    Do you watch a video clip on VLC player by keeping controls bar in the bottom ?

Same way, notch is a disturbance on the phone screen..

17. Serbian Overlord KitKat Apr 5, 2018

Serbian Overlord, Apr 5, 2018 :
    First of all, Pete's English is terrible and he doesn't write these statements that are coming out lately. Oppo is clearly paying for some good PR. Secondly, look up Oppo R15 Pro. Just like every phone from OnePlus since 5, it's exactly same shell as Oppo. R11, R11S, R15, R15 Pro, even Vivo brand...

18. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 5, 2018

19. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Apr 5, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Apr 5, 2018 :
    Everyone knows he isn't writing this. He has an assistant who does that for him.

20. Tapan Kumar Froyo Apr 5, 2018

Tapan Kumar, Apr 5, 2018 :
    how much big will it be!! 2 cms width? and what u r losing with that? ur phones beauty and being itself called as an iPhone clone?