[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. Martin70
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2018

Martin70 , Apr 5, 2018 :
    That is another thing I do not understand. People saying this will make it an "iPhone clone", the first phone with a notch was not the iPhone but an Android phone the Essential phone. The notch just maximizes screen real estate that would otherwise have been a wider bezel, if that is what you prefer then please use the fix that hides the notch.

2. ayokaditya
    Cupcake Apr 5, 2018

3. TaranQ
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2018

TaranQ , Apr 5, 2018 :
    Untitled-1.jpg The notch looks like a chunk broke out of my screen, it's plain ugly and it distracts my whole screen viewing experience. I suggest we introduce a screen that has finger holding black spots cut out. So your screen viewing is not obstructed by your fingers holding the screen, that would be stupid as well. Or a "fingerprint spot" so we can move it back to the front of the screen and maybe put the sensors and camera in there as well (because we don't know yet how to put it into the screen) but that too would be evenly stupid wouldn't it?

And if I then look at Xiaomi Mi7 previews, that's what it should look like!
    Xiaomi-Mi-7-6-01-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-20180110172429127-750x430.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018

edtheduck likes this.
  4. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 5, 2018

youbi , Apr 5, 2018 :
    But if that screen part close to the notch is turned off you won't see any notch, so how does that affect the usability and makes a phone without notch more useful while watching videos?

idkwhoiam322 and Martin70 like this.
  5. Darcer
    Donut Apr 5, 2018

Darcer , Apr 5, 2018 :
    Please, tell me you are being sarcastic...

6. TaranQ
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2018

TaranQ , Apr 5, 2018 :
    Very simple because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a phone that has an ugly design by default for which i need an app to hide it. Than I will just buy a phone that has a beautifull design to start with. And in the end it's just a matter of time before it will be technically possible to get full screen, manufacturers that now choose the notch is not because they think it is beautiful but because they can't deal with it otherwise. If it will be possible i can assure you no company will retain the notch.

Spliffman and daviddevai like this.
  7. youbi

youbi , Apr 5, 2018 :
    So in the end, you just end up agreeing with me. :p Because when you say this:

It seemed that you were talking about usability. But according to what you just said, in the end, its about aesthetics, just like I was talking about in the beginning. :D

No one is saying the opposite, the truth is that with current tech, the notch is the best way to get bigger screen and still have the needed sensors. When they finally manage to hide those sensors somewhere else, than you obviously don't need a notch, but for now, its surely one of the best compromises. ;)

meatandy likes this.
  8. Dheyl
    Eclair Apr 5, 2018

Spliffman likes this.
  9. TaranQ
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2018

TaranQ , Apr 5, 2018 :
    What I want to say is, if I had to make a choice between making (an ugly) compromise or wait till the tech is ready for it I would surely wait. But hey, we'll see how OnePlus does with OP6 notch phone. My first guess is sales will go down even more as it did with the cheap iPhone copy trick on OP5. My favorite brand is shifting more and more to Xiaomi

10. youbi

youbi , Apr 5, 2018 :
    In the end it will be mostly about personal tastes about the aesthetics, and not so much usability. And every company ends up doing some sort of compromise.

Samsung decided that they didn't wanted a notch, so they end up with a smaller screen than what could have been, Xiaomi decided that didn't wanted a notch on top, so they allocated the camera in a really awkward and not that useful place, so yeah, building a phone will always be about compromises, and its up to everyone to choose the one he likes best, no need to overreact about them. :p ;)

Well, according to Oneplus it seems that it was their best year ever, so not so sure about sales are going down because of the back of the op5/T. :sweatsmile: I guess most people didn't mind that.

Personally I would definitely rather have a more unique design the back, yeah, when you hold in in your hand it doesn't feel anything like an iphone and feels much better in hand, but when you look to a back pic of it its hard not to confuse them.

Luckily and seeing the leak back photos it seems the 6 will fix that issue.

So you will rather have a bottom camera in that awkward position and also the non stock android look of MIUI?

meatandy likes this.
  11. hennes
    Lollipop Apr 5, 2018

hennes , Apr 5, 2018 :
    This is the best way to do it, because at this time there are not as much devices out there that has a Notch, OnePlus could be one of the first who set a standard on how to handle the topic Notch. I think more then 60:40 who don't like this asymetric screen layout, so with this optional blacking no one can complain, because he has the choice. So you are in first position for those who would buy a new device and don't like notches.

It can only pay off.

Wise options is often a purchase decision.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  12. y_srikanth
    Donut Apr 5, 2018

y_srikanth , Apr 5, 2018 :
    Mr. Youbi, you must be part of OnePlus 6 design/development/support team or at least a paid member of the group.

If OnePlus is ready to provide an option to hide the notch on customer's feedback, then why did you designed OnePlus 6 with a notch?
    Notch looks ugly on the smartphone screen.
    Putting a notch on the screen is not so called as fully bezel-less screen.
    OnePlus should come up with useful innovations like onscreen fingerprint scanner, wireless charging, dust/water resistant (which is most useful feature).

OnePlus is already copied iPhone 7Plus design for OnePlus 5/5T. I am sure OnePlus 6 should be look like a chinese copy of iPhone X.
    When you have so much fresh creative talent, then why are you wasting it and following Apple footprints ?
    Bigger mobile companies (Apple/Samsung) has better after sales customer support than OnePlus and they price their phones according it.

OnePlus was knows for Best Phones at affordable price, Now OnePlus is losing its basic motto and loyal fan base.

Mr. Youbi, Again please do not make people to be accepted with your so notch-encouraging answers.

13. youbi

youbi , Apr 5, 2018 :
    So just because I was trying to get the sense of why a phone without notch is more useful than one with one. Just that, you don't need to be payed to wonder about this things. :confused:In the end it was about aesthetics, and that one is easy to understand.

And no, I don't work for Oneplus. I'm just a user like you. ;)

You do get that while you are "hiding" the notch you still get the advantages of it? The status bar space is still used in that section, so you get a bigger screen nevertheless.

In the end its all about trying to make everyone happy, even the ones with notch allergies. :p

Well, at least it gets a bit close to that goal. ;) And puts some use to a part of the bezel that would be just useless.

We all want the best of things, but at the same time we want the price to still be competitive, so better wait and see if those things can fit there, and the tech is developed enough to offer a god experience with it.

Why? Just because it has a Notch? You do know that most phones will have it this year don't you? ;) And that actually it wasn't Apple the trend starter, it was essential phone. :p

Looking to the supposedly leaked pics, it looks to be much more different from an iphone than the 5/t ever was.

What footprints are you talking about exactly? The notch? Because if its that, just read what I wrote above.

So you are saying that you already know the op6 price? Please share with the rest of us, because so far all we got is some click bait site rumors. ;)

I'm really just trying to get the reasoning behind some opinions shared here, notching more than that. ;)

meatandy likes this.
  14. 2pints
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2018

2pints , Apr 5, 2018 :
    Does oneplus have a design team? the phones appear to be cast-offs from OPPO with uprated internals

V1523819883874 likes this.
  15. mohammed32
    Jelly Bean Apr 5, 2018

16. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Apr 5, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  17. fdroko
    Jelly Bean Apr 5, 2018

fdroko , Apr 5, 2018 :

Then they cry when the water guarantee does not cover them... o_O

that's why it's useless to have IPxx

18. dantusris
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2018

dantusris , Apr 6, 2018 :
    The notch and screen till the edge is definitely a bad idea b'se of its obvious intent. Technically, that notch area is where the front facing camera could be for better view but didn't have to be in a notch form but could have been a circular one or part of a bezel. I feel bad b'se now that this device has its new identity in the world all of a sudden wanted to borrow somebody's identity and now wants to find a way to hide it.

V1523819883874 and meatandy like this.
  19. Spliffman
    KitKat Apr 6, 2018

Spliffman , Apr 6, 2018 :
    I was thinking the same thing, like a negative like :)

20. y_srikanth
    Donut Apr 6, 2018

y_srikanth , Apr 6, 2018 :
    I wish OnePlus would learn a lesson from it's customers.

V1523819883874 likes this.