[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. TheRealGamer
    Lollipop Apr 30, 2018

TheRealGamer , Apr 30, 2018 :
    I don't like camera or Mi Mix. As we need to turn the phone upside down

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Apr 30, 2018

dsmonteiro , Apr 30, 2018 :
    Well, the logic is still the same. Even if you don't like the implementation (and I don't like it either) the logic was to reduce as much bezel as possible.

The bottom bezel is smaller than it is on the OnePlus 5t and you also gain the space on both sides of the notch.

But yes, Apple is definitely a trend setter.

3. Vignesh_chandz
    Honeycomb Apr 30, 2018

Vignesh_chandz , Apr 30, 2018 :
    Though Apple just avoided the actual presentation and cared less about others views on the notch ,
    @Pete OnePlus has made sure he had given his best possible honest views about the display technology giving the community the best reason to upgrade.

The implementation of the notch had been clear on the OnePlus 6 and at first it might be distracting you from the actual presentation. I must say the extra screen estate due notch has been fab and just cant wait to see how OnePlus has managed to implement it with the option to disable it despite all the honest views from CEO himself.

4. saad1957
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2018

saad1957 , May 1, 2018 :
    there will be an option to disable the notch , for who doesn't like it

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert May 1, 2018

dsmonteiro , May 1, 2018 :
    That was promised after I posted that message.

6. saad1957
    Jelly Bean May 1, 2018

saad1957 , May 1, 2018 :
    sorry , too late , but just to spread the info , there are a lot of people not happy with that.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  7. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert May 1, 2018

Baymax , May 1, 2018 :
    The notch on the Essential... it disappears. It is like it isn't even there. Funny thing is the Essential has a higher screen to body ratio than the iPhone X which is almost all screen except the notch.
    I was going to save this for the Essential Progressive Review, but take a look at this. The Essential Phone beside the iPhone X.
    Image uploaded from iOS.jpg

I think people should give the notch a chance. Not the iPhone X notch... The essential and Soon the OP6 notch.

But another thing is the X has all that bezel around the screen. If you look into it the chin on the Essential phone is exactly the same size as the bezel around the iPhone X screen.

8. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 1, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , May 1, 2018 :
    screen to body ratio - I don't understand the obsession with this parameter. it should be the second consideration, first being design symmetry and overall appeal.

81OvOMun5zL._SX342_.jpg
    Apple-iPhoneX-Silver-1-3x.jpg

The chin at the bottom of Essential phone is of same size as the bezel around iPhone X? How?

The notch is a reality we have to accept for the next couple of years. But they should implement in a manner that keeps symmetry in tact and make the device look good. Currently it is a compromise everyone is making.

9. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert May 1, 2018

Baymax , May 1, 2018 :
    Wait for the progressive review.

10. gerardvanschip
    Honeycomb May 2, 2018

gerardvanschip , May 2, 2018 :
    Hey Pete, ignore the haters. I have loved OnePlus work long before you launched your first phone. I stayed up all night to secure an invite. Not that I could use it as I just moved to Japan...

Now several models later, all imported.... I'm looking forward to the next model.

What to take away from my comment? Not the explaining the notch. Instead, explain why you keep giving people living in japan the middle finger?

No really, I NEED to know.