[Updated] Let's talk about screens

1. Vinay__Nair
    Froyo Mar 29, 2018

Vinay__Nair , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Why do you even need the notch? Why not build something like Vivo Apex? Anyways it is a sister concern of oneplus, just like oppo

Starcommander and timartinho like this.
  2. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Mar 29, 2018

youbi , Mar 29, 2018 :
    The past actions don't really mean that they will repeat in the future, so why not wait for the actual product specs release to make sure of it. :p

Well, looking to the supposedly leaked back of this year op6 it doesn't look like any recent oppo phone we've seen.

So you are saying that Xiaomi is not a Typical Chinese brand? You do know why they are called the Apple of china, some phones they've lunch before were exact copies. :p

But yeah, glad that at least with the Mi mix 2 they finally went to their own path, too bad though that they keep that awful MIUI. If it was like the A1 it would be much better option.

3. condemned
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

condemned , Mar 29, 2018 :
    No thanks.
    I stayed subscribed to the fb in hopes you go back to your roots of unique nice design - but you just go worse and worse.

Stop beating the dead horse and go make rubber boots or something instead.

The ocd of having this notch would give me nightmares.

It's only part of the "top bar" until you go fullscreen with apps.

sidrocks123 likes this.
  4. smitbhagat
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Bouncer71 and Starcommander like this.
  5. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Mar 29, 2018

youbi , Mar 29, 2018 :
    To get some use to a space that otherwise would just be a black space on the bezel. And that now can fit a status bar.

I can already imagine the horror stories that moving part will cause to their customer support. On paper looks nice, but in everyday use not so sure how long it will last. ;)

6. suzwon
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

suzwon , Mar 29, 2018 :
    1522340644193.jpg
    CDO of apple with notch
    Raise your hand[e]1f44d[/e] If you hate notch.

7. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

MikhailTheItalian , Mar 29, 2018 :
    your post is irrelevant. everyone in the industries regardless of type does some form of copying whether it's automotive, medical or whatnot. if it's working for your company and it's not patented why can't my company do it too ?

smitbhagat likes this.
  8. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

9. G_Jose_Rouel_Lim_YWxq
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2018

Bouncer71 likes this.
  10. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Mar 29, 2018

Starcommander , Mar 29, 2018 :
    Umm u rright i guess. Notch is a personal preference. Then why not to use the above space as an small oled panel for notifications instead of notification light like lg v10. Then in that case it will be more useful. They didn't adapt that idea because it was made by lg. I m sure if Apple had used that idea oneplus would have also copied it like other companies.

G_Jose_Rouel_Lim_YWxq likes this.
  11. Lancelot_69
    Lollipop Mar 29, 2018

Lancelot_69 , Mar 29, 2018 :
    YOU DON'T WANT THE NOTCH! YOU DON'T SPEAK FOR EVERY PERSON! See anyone can type in all caps, doesn't make a person right. For the record everyone is coping Moto 360, they had the notch first, so pack up your I hate Apple rant.
    I personally don't care about the notch. I personally don't believe one word @Carl or @Pete say. When the product is released I will then make a decision.
    Please continue to talk about what YOU would like and leave ME out of your WE! Thanks.

iNtEnSePL and Rick Manders like this.
  12. sudipshrestha29
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

13. Shivang Joshi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Mar 29, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Mar 29, 2018 :
    I just don't need the notch. That extra few % of screen ruining the complete front design of the device?? I would not like to have it. Also, most of the people would use it with that "Without notch" option in the software (Well, if provided), so it won't even be that useful for most (At least, me)

Considering that Samsung has the best display and design right now (That's my personal opinion, don't bash me for this), why not to go with that symmetrical look. I prefer that over this notch anytime. I don't want my device to look like a clone of some fruit company. I would rather have a unique look going for the design.

Edit: Also, when you know that the announcement yesterday faced a backlash from your customers and community, and still not making the necessary changes, this tells me that this time the device wasn't build by taking the feedback from users. It was not built with the community.

sidrocks123 and Starcommander like this.
  14. sudipshrestha29
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

15. suzwon
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

F_Kuntal_Roy_IQcV likes this.
  16. thesplitter
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2018

Asivh and F_Kuntal_Roy_IQcV like this.
  17. Jeevan4466
    Eclair Mar 29, 2018

18. JaviAC
    Gingerbread Mar 29, 2018

JaviAC , Mar 29, 2018 :
    And if you want to black out the sides of the notch in "vertical" mode?

In the Huawei P20 Pro you have an option to "hide" the notch (also adding black to the sides of the notch), but no matter if the smartphone is horizontal or vertical.

19. sbaker
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2018

sbaker , Mar 29, 2018 :
    First of all, this is really a first world problem. I guess our life is good when we can complain about something that really has zero life impact.

Having said that, I don't mind the notch, if specifications are accurate, the phone is bigger, so you will still get an appreciable about of screen, even with the notch. The notch is smaller than I thought it would be, and OnePlus is not Samsung, they are a smaller company, and who knows what it would take to match a Samsung like display. The fact that there is a post explaining the whole thing is commendable.

I like OnePlus as a company, I've had a solid phone experience and it hasn't cost much money relative to other phones that I would have wanted. Having said all that, I'll still be ticked if they come out with a 6T without the notch a few months after the 6. :)

iNtEnSePL likes this.
  20. The Joker
    Marshmallow Mar 29, 2018

The Joker , Mar 29, 2018 :
    That will be the best approach a notch infill

obakesan and youbi like this.