[UPDATED] #PMChallenge The Unsung Hero: Alert Slider and Customization!

1. YRJ KitKat Feb 20, 2019

YRJ, Feb 20, 2019 :
    PSX_20190221_011606.jpg
    Hi Everyone,
    Smartphones have become an integral part our lives. We interact with our phones all through the day, it is no secret that we all have our own needs and 'One size fits all does not work, here'
    Though these small pieces of tech have been meticulously designed and made to be just perfect,
    at-least once we have noticed that something or the other is missing in our smartphones.

Well what I think of it? here it is, My #PMChallenge :)

One of the most celebrated hardware features of OnePlus devices is no doubt the Alert Slider. It is surprising that not many OEM's feel that it is indeed a very essential feature.
    I have loved IPhones for having this hardware button and now I'am happy that OnePlus incorporated it too. The Alert Slider has helped me a lot and has removed the many steps involved in toggling sound profiles.

Getting in to class or be it a meeting, all it takes is a simple slide up!
    It is perfect and gets the Job done always BUT such a hardware button limited to only switching sound profiles? Not the best.

Product Requirement Document:
    • Who are the users? Every OnePlus user, present/future whose device is still supported under the update timeline.
    • What is the proposed function? Unlocking the capabilities of the Alert slider, to allow customization. To stay true to the motto of NEVER SETTLE
    • What is the User Value? Provides flexibility and allows users to freely use a hardware button for what matters to them the most. Toggling between many of the various features of Oxygen OS using something that has been on the device ever since the OnePlus 2.
    • If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior? As stated earlier, not many OEM's offer a hardware slider. Apple does but provides no customization options. So if users are allowed to customize the slider it should be by default, superior in all aspects. IMO, users must always have an upper hand over how their device must function and if there is something that can be achieved via software which in turn enhances the productivity and functionality of an already present hardware feature, it must be adopted.
    • Edit: Samsung has now allowed remapping of the Bixby button and If alert sliders are allowed customizations, it will still be superior to Samsung as they sport a clickable button which has lesser options, while a moving slider offers greater possibilities. Hence, if implemented it will be superior to existing comparable features! :) IMG_20190221_022650__01__01.jpg
    Logic and Implementation:
    • The basic idea of proposing this feature is enhancing product value and increasing functionality of an already present hardware. What's better than being able to reach greater heights without disturbing the framework or design of a device all while having no additional hardware costs involved?
    Implementation: The Customization can be implemented by providing users with added functions and allowing them to easily choose what they would like the alert slider to do when its position is changed.

For Example:
    Taking the idea that the alert slider is used to shift between 3 battery optimization modes, we can choose to keep the
    • top most position reserved for POWER DIET a function which when activated turns the phone into a greyscale feature phone with functions limited to Calling and messaging.
    • middle position for the battery saver, something which is already present on our smartphones.
    • bottom position for switching off all battery optimizations. i.e, phone works at maximum efficiency.
    battery.jpeg
    The customization are to be done in a way so that no 2 features overlap each other.
    for which only one task can be assigned to the alert slider.
    In the above example, the alert slider will work exclusively only for switching battery modes and nothing else. In this way possible conflicts are evaded.

another example of an implication can be Profiles.
    A lot of users complain of having dedicated modes for themselves, a friend/relative and lastly a total stranger.
    In this scenario,
    1. Personal mode: Exclusive, all-access for the Owner.
    2. Minor User: Friend/Relative, certain restrictions to maintain some amount of privacy.
    3. New User: Complete Privacy and restricted/admin approved access. ex: An anonymous person who requests for a phone call.
    IMG_20190221_021409__01__01.jpg
    Note: Switching Between User Profiles requires admin Password. New user may/may not need access.

These were a couple of examples of possible customization. Although the possibilities are endless.
    should you have more ideas or want to know of more newer ideas, feel free to comment down below. :)

Thank you so much for taking time to go through this thread.
    I thank @Ruby G. for giving us this opportunity which brought out the Product Manager in us.
    Thanks to @David Y. for helping Ruby bring these awesome contests for us.
    Thanks to @Gary C. for reading through all the entries and finally making the best choice, it is now that I truly realize how complete are phones are, thanks for all the hard-work that you put in and help make Oxygen OS what it is today.

Special thanks to @OceaneSxm @Venky61 @cdnfarmer and @Bouncer71 for all the support.

thank you one and all :)

EDIT: 21/02/2019
    The Do Nothing option:
    While the alert slider definitely is an amazing addition to smartphones, it doesn't take a lot for this boon to transform to a bane.

Alert slider now are basically used to switch sound profiles, ICYMI- It's an amazing thing to keep fiddling or fidgeting with and kids love to fiddle with things.

My nephew and niece are both very naughty, (Can't blame them) they are kids afterall.
    Kids now a days have great affinity to smartphones.
    Despite the slider being reasonably firm/sturdy, it isn't really difficult for them to move it. It is highly possible that they or even you for that matter, inadvertently put the phone on complete silence.
    Thereby, missing out on calls, messages and important notifications.

This is where the 'Do Nothing' feature comes into play. By activating do nothing you can possibly revoke the slider's permission to switch sound profiles. Whilist, it may render the hardwareuseless, it will still save the day. Should you have kids or people who love to spoil things for you :p

As stated earlier there is no limit to customisations of the alert slider. The alert slider is worth more than what we think! It serves all kinds of users. Be it Gamers, Photographers or just feature phone users.
    As @Bouncer71 suggests the alert slider has 3 Positions and it can be used to switch between:
    • Auto
    • Macro
    • Infinity
    All major customisations at the slide of a finger.
    Pretty Sweet!
    Thanks Bouncer :)

EDIT: 02/03/2019
    After being skeptical about adding in flexibility and allow re-mapping of the Bixby button, Samsung has now finally made the move and allowed the Bixby button to be remapped or disabled completely.

It is not that OnePlus should add this feature because Samsung has but the benefits and the added flexibility it comes with, is just sweet :D

High time OnePlus!
    Screenshot_20190302-105515__01__01.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019

2. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

Stickied Post
    YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    The Do Nothing option:

While the alert slider definitely is an amazing addition to smartphones, it doesn't take a lot for this boon to transform to a bane.

Alert slider now are basically used to switch sound profiles, ICYMI- It's an amazing thing to keep fiddling or fidgeting with and kids love to fiddle with things.

My nephew and niece are both very naughty, (Can't blame them) they are kids afterall.
    Kids now a days have great affinity to smartphones.
    Despite the slider being reasonably firm/sturdy, it isn't really difficult for them to move it. It is highly possible that they or even you for that matter, inadvertently put the phone on complete silence.
    Thereby, missing out on calls, messages and important notifications.

This is where the 'Do Nothing' feature comes into play. By activating do nothing you can possibly revoke the slider's permission to switch sound profiles. Whilist, it may render the hardware useless, it will still save the day. Should you have kids or people who love to spoil things for you :p

Maeuszt, BeingIncog, xnutzii and 10 others like this.
  3. Moin2200 KitKat Feb 20, 2019

Moin2200, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Nice idea. Many people only use one mode for the majority of their time so being able to change the behavior of the alert slider to something else useful would be a welcome addition to the never settle motto. :cool:

Well done and well presented!

4. YRJ KitKat Feb 20, 2019

YRJ, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Oh yes! My phone has never left the vibrate mode :tearsofjoy:

I am glad you liked it. Thanks :)

5. meatandy Nougat Feb 20, 2019

meatandy, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Putting a new twist on the alert slider is a good idea , like it..

Hats off for your excellent penmanship.;)

6. YRJ KitKat Feb 20, 2019

YRJ, Feb 20, 2019 :
    MKBHD approves!! What else do I need, more?
    Thanks a ton :D

7. Sharinnn Lollipop Feb 20, 2019

Sharinnn, Feb 20, 2019 :
    I can't say much about the actual idea but you have really nice handwriting :)

8. YRJ KitKat Feb 20, 2019

YRJ, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Trust me that's my worst!
    Btw, Much Thanks :)

9. toastytoast1234 Lollipop Feb 20, 2019

toastytoast1234, Feb 20, 2019 :
    He's clearly never going to be a doctor.

10. Ruby G. NA Community Manager Staff Member Feb 21, 2019

Ruby G., Feb 21, 2019 :
    @YRJ seriously, you have exquisite handwriting and drawing skills :eek: Can you give me lessons???
    Thank you for your beautiful, complete entry~ Always a pleasure.

11. TheRealGamer KitKat Feb 21, 2019

G_plusone, OceaneSxm and YRJ like this.
  12. elanglois Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

elanglois, Feb 21, 2019 :
    plenty of custom ROMs allow even more customization of the alert slider.

However, your use case example begs a serious question. Meetings and classes should be on your schedule. The phone can automatically set DND mode based on your schedule without fiddling with any steps at all, no hardware needed.

Why take the chance on having your phone ring in class because you forgot to silence your phone, or of missing a call because you forgot to unsilence it? Automatic DND!

13. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Isn't that a good thing? :p

14. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Aww! Come on you......... I'm blushing right now :p
    I never knew that my handwriting was something that I should be proud of. Nevertheless, I will never turn you down. Thank you so much for your words :D

Bouncer71, Ruby G. and TheRealGamer like this.
  15. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Both are intelligent XD
    Thanks mate ;)

TheRealGamer likes this.
  16. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Yes they do, but we are talking of an oxygen os feature and I am sure you will agree that not everyone would install a custom ROM.

Well what you state here is right, maybe it is applicable for other users here, but surely not for me.
    My classes and meetings at work, both are unplanned!

And for the last point, my phone is mostly on vibrate even when I'm not in a class or a meeting. :)

toastytoast1234 and buntycubal like this.
  17. OceaneSxm Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 21, 2019

OceaneSxm, Feb 21, 2019 :
    I'm very happy you decided to do the challenge !
    It's a great idea, best of luck to you ;)

18. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    If it wasn't for the 4 of you, I would have never done this.
    Thank You so much :)

19. OceaneSxm Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 21, 2019

OceaneSxm, Feb 21, 2019 :
    You're very welcome :)
    I really like the tittle btw, makes it seem cooler :D

G_plusone, buntycubal and YRJ like this.
  20. buntycubal Lollipop Feb 21, 2019

buntycubal, Feb 21, 2019 :
    1550721476940.jpg
    can we get toggle switch except that alert slider..
    anyway , Great idea & awesome concept ,hope they look forward in it...

TibiTibi, B.yashaswi, Venky61 and 3 others like this.
  21. YRJ KitKat Feb 21, 2019

YRJ, Feb 21, 2019 :
    Thanks Bunty, I am glad you liked it :D

Talking of the toggle switch, wouldn't it protrude out a lot? It may also interfere with the users hands and may be at risk of breaking apart!
    Idk I am just thinking of the possibilities.....

buntycubal likes this.