updates T-MOBILE 6T?

1. lyricalsaint316 Froyo Feb 23, 2019

Jammin619 likes this.
  2. gazz1701 Jelly Bean Feb 23, 2019

gazz1701, Feb 23, 2019 :
    Don't think anyone here can answer for definite - you need to check with T-Mobile and OnePlus, although guessing it would, not sure why they would want to block any OS updates. Did you get those released so far?

3. meatandy Nougat Feb 23, 2019

meatandy, Feb 23, 2019 :
    @askdes from T-Mobile

xnutzii likes this.
  4. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Feb 23, 2019

ironass likes this.
  5. ironass KitKat Feb 25, 2019

ironass, Feb 25, 2019 :
    The simple answer is... No

Since the launch of the OnePlus 6T, the global model has received 7 official, stable, updates, (not counting the 5 Open Beta firmwares), whilst the T-Mobile (USA) carrier branded minority variant has its own ersatz firmware that is controlled by the carrier and has only had 4 minor updates. See, also...

T-Mobile 6T to Global model Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019

ddubs likes this.
  6. lyricalsaint316 Froyo Feb 25, 2019

lyricalsaint316, Feb 25, 2019 :
    not yet.

7. L1548289553026 Cupcake Feb 27, 2019

L1548289553026, Feb 27, 2019 :
    I made a mistake by buying the T-Mobile variant. I do think it ever gets any updates. Hardly one every 3 -4 months-neither the OS updates from one plus nor the monthly security updates. If you care about the updates never buy the ones from carriers . Get the unlocked one directly from the manufacturer.

ironass likes this.
  8. Neddard KitKat Feb 27, 2019

Neddard, Feb 27, 2019 :
    I won't debate whether anyone should opt for the carrier variant vs the global, but let's at least be accurate about the TMo updates, to date.

The TMo 6T released to the public on Nov1 '18. In a couple days that will make it 4 months old. Day 1 release handsets came with OOS 9.0.0. Since then they've received 3 updates to 9.0.3. So 3 updates in ~4 months. Granted, they haven't been huge updates, and we're still at the Dec '18 security patch, but my 6T has been rock solid from day 1 (purchased Nov1).

Jammin619 likes this.
  9. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Mar 1, 2019

spdsk8race1, Mar 1, 2019 :
    there has been 4 updates pushed out since the launch in November for the T-Mobile model? hardly one evry 3-4 months, when the phone has been available since November 1st.. there has also been 4 updates pushed to the international variant, plus 2 hot fix updates... the update version number for TMobile models is different than the international 9.0.10 is equivalent to 9.0.4 for T-Mobile. T-Mobile variant is usually 7-14 days behind unlocked updates.

10. ironass KitKat Mar 1, 2019

ironass, Mar 1, 2019 :
    The T-Mobile 6T carrier minority variant was launched on the 29th October 2018 on firmware 9.0.0. Since launch it has received 4 updates and sports camera version 2.9.43 from October 2018.

The global model of the OnePlus 6T was launched on the 6th November 2018 on firmware 9.0.2. Since launch it has received 7 updates for the stock, stable, release with a camera version of 3.0.16 from 7th February 2019 and 5, separate, releases on the Open Beta programme with a camera version of 3.0.21 from 27 February 2019.

11. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Mar 1, 2019

spdsk8race1, Mar 1, 2019 :
    Glsorry pieced this together from different sources
    Global variant

OxygenOS 9.0.12 Released February 12, 2019
    Updated Android security patch to 2019.1G
    eneral bug fixes and system improvements
    Deep integration with Google Duo
    Optimizations for display (only on 6T)

OxygenOS 9.0.11 update replaces the 9.0.10 update which caused a problem for Verizon users.
    Updated Android Security patch to 2018.12
    Improved Wi-Fi stability for better connectivity
    Face Unlock improvements
    General bug fixes and improvements
    Improved Nightscape performance

December 20, 2018: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.10
    Updated Android security patch to 2018.12
    Improved Wi-Fi stability for better connectivity
    Face Unlock improvements
    Improved Nightscape performance

December 3, 2018: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.7
    Addition of a special audio tuner for Bluetooth earphones
    Improved Bluetooth stability for better connectivity
    Optimized stability for Wi-Fi connection
    Optimized standby power consumption
    Fixed display issues for lock screen wallpaper
    Improved performance for slow-motion videos

November 21, 2018: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.6
    Improved unlocking experience
    Optimized standby power consumption
    Fixed issues with adding APN on Verizon network
    Fixed issues with no notifications from Play Store
    Optimized image processing

November 6, 2018 update to OxygenOS 9.0.5
    Changelog:
    System
    Improvements for Screen Unlock

Previous T-Mobile OnePlus 6T updates:

January 22, 2019: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.3
    A6013_34_190116
    December 2018 security patch
    Dialer fix
    Various bug fixes and improvements

January 3, 2019: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.2
    (A6013_34_181228)
    Enables support for additional domestic roaming partners

December 11, 2018: Update to OxygenOS 9.0.1
    (A6013_34_181121)
    Updated camera app
    Updated in-display fingerprint sensor algorithm
    Fixed Google Play Store download notification issues
    Optimized face unlock
    Optimized hidden Wi-Fi AP login UI
    Optimized unlock speed with live wallpapers

November 17, 2018: Update to Oxygen 9.0.0 (A6013_34_181029) T-Mobile equivalent to 9.0.5
    Android Security Update to Nov 2018
    Fine tune Nightscape mode
    In-display fingerprint algorithm update
    Update Unlock app
    Gesture Mode 2.0 update

12. ironass KitKat Mar 1, 2019

ironass, Mar 1, 2019 :
    You seem to have missed out the global model's OxygenOS 9.0.4 update which came immediately at launch to replace the original 9.0.2 firmware.

13. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Mar 2, 2019

spdsk8race1, Mar 2, 2019 :
    9.0.4 was a software update that was available on launch day, I would count this as launch software, but we could as a update also.

this would be 6 updates to TMobiles variant 4, I would say 9.0.4 doesn't count as a update as it being available on launch day is day 1.. by my count 5 to 4 with .12 being launched Feb 12, and TMobiles has released updates within 3 weeks from global not a large difference in my opinion..

I don't think it's a big deal, especially since there is a method to convert your TMobile variant to global without sim or bootloader. Some people just need to have everything immediately the second it's available though, which in that case they should have paid attention to the launch coverage as it was well known updates wouldn't be same day, and they should have purchased the global variant.

ironass likes this.
  14. ironass KitKat Mar 2, 2019

ironass, Mar 2, 2019 :
    I count it as an update as the early global models came with OxygenOS 9.0.2 pre-installed and OxygenOS 9.0.4 was an OTA update. So, as per my post #10, that is 7 stock, stable, updates.

You cannot compare the T-Mobile (USA) updates to the global model's as there is for instance, no mention of the camera updates and improvements received by the global model whilst the T-Mobile (USA) variant has, I believe, not had an update to its camera since launch.

I agree with you that most people should have known that there would be a disparity in the update schedule. I wrote the following a week after the global model's launch, back on the 12th November 2018 when it became clear about the firmware differences between the 2 models...

"Updates are likely to be a lot slower to the T-Mobile (USA) variant as they will need to be adapted for and certified by the carrier first and we all know how well that works with other phone manufacturers.

So, whilst T-Mobile (USA) variant owners will receive a slightly subsidised phone it will not provide the stock OnePlus experience that the global model offers.

I predict that once some T-Mobile (USA) variant users realise this, there will be a wailing and the gnashing of teeth that we have witnessed over the years with other U.S. carrier models.

Bottom line... "If you want the full, unfettered, OnePlus phone experience... pay the full price and get yourself the Global model."

Source

I do agree with you wholeheartedly that it is no big deal as there is at least the ability to convert the T-Mobile (USA) model to the global version. I have yet to see a single person out of the thousands who have converted, say that they have switched back to the T-Mobile's version. Also, I still do not know why T-Mobile (USA) demanded their own ersatz version of the global firmware... unless it was to control it, as they have done.

MdRuckus and spdsk8race1 like this.
  15. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Mar 2, 2019

in the December 11th update the camera app was updated, I included it in my post above.

By no means am I trying to compare the global updates to the T-Mobile variant in a apples to apples, I was pointing out that it has received more than 1 update every 3 to 4 months as one person mentioned above. I also wanted to point out that even though the version number is different, it's not the same firmware for the two, by viewing the changelogs the update the T-Mobile variant received on December 11th was equivalent to 9.0.7. It received the same support for audio tuner and the other various minor improvement the .7 received. 9.0.10 was launched and immediately had a hot fix launched (9.0.11) to correct issues that appeared with .10 this update was pushed I believe on December 22, the T-Mobile variant received it's equivalent to 9.0.11 on January 22 this was one of the longer wait times which I assume was due to the network issues that .10 caused.

still only 6 updates though, not 7 as 9.0.11 was and still stated as a hotfix for network issues experienced by Verizon users.

I don't believe that T-Mobile demanded their own version, I would imagine that since it has to do internal testing to validate that there are no issues with the new update on TMobile service. it's one thing when your selling a unlocked phone used by multiple carriers and one experiences issues, those people go to where they purchased the device, or contact (OnePlus) and inform them, but if TMobile is carrying the phone in stores, and a update breaks their device ( for example LG bootloop of death from the v10, v20) they go back to the store and yell, which then TMobile becomes the middle man.

the big thing is, if you have a company that is selling another companies product that you sell out of your store, provide service for it, your brand is tied with it, if it doesn't work or something breaks, most likely people go back to where they bought it and expect the employee who sold the device to them to fix it.

your comments I believe are spot on, but T-Mobile has been doing a better job of updates with the OnePlus than any other Android phone that is carried by them in terms of updates. definitely not the same, but I feel it's moving in the right direction. Maybe after some time with T-Mobile and OnePlus being partnered, T-Mobile will allow OnePlus to push updates without internal validation like apple does. [e]1f601[/e]

16. Pef3369 Eclair Mar 2, 2019

Pef3369, Mar 2, 2019 :
    I understand that Tmobile verifies the updates for security issues but they could definitely do a better job. Advertising features at launch that don't exist in the phone 4 months later is not really "professional"...

17. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Mar 2, 2019

what features are you referring to?

18. ironass KitKat Mar 2, 2019

ironass, Mar 2, 2019 :
    You are indeed correct about the 11th December, 9.0.1 update that updated the camera to 2.9.43. A camera version from October!!! Meanwhile, the global model received update 9.0.7 a week before that with camera version 2.10.11 for, "Improved performance for slow-motion videos".

As for T-Mobile (USA) wanting their own testing as the reason for their own version, I am dubious as no other carriers in 195 countries worldwide required this including the O2 network in the U.K. that has sold the the OnePlus 3, onwards, on their network with stock OnePlus firmware. Besides which, there is no reason that T-Mobile (USA) could not have had the stock global firmware and just certified that for use on their network.

As for the global model's 9.0.11 release being a Hotfix for the 9.0.10 Verizon issue, the same could be argued for the T-Mobile 9.0.2 update which came a few days after and was solely for, "Enables support for additional domestic roaming partners".

19. spdsk8race1 Honeycomb Mar 2, 2019

the 9.0.2 was before the matching to global 9.0.10 which was the Jan 22nd 9.0.3

the phone was launched on November 1st, the camera app wouldn't have a version of before available... I believe again, because of the offsetting software updates, it mostly likely has its own/separate version for the camera app, as I assume your are looking at the version number from a apk resource page like APKmirror which doesn't list 2.9.43. if the camera app is baked into the updates, it would require a different app to pull from, because if it's the version number, the 6 just switched to v3 and it has the exact same camera, but a slightly different version number.

side topic, wouldn't it be possible to download the apk from APKmirror of the latest version to the T-Mobile variant?

O2 and the rest of the world major carriers also sell phones with duel Sims, while no us carrier has sold a duel sim phone. South Korea ruled that any preinstalled bloat ware apps must be able to be uninstalled. The UK also drives on the left hand side of the road, the drinking age is also 18. things are different in other parts of the world, in particular are laws and the lawsuits, maybe a reason or maybe has nothing to do with it, that's out of my pay grade,

you're correct, by my standard I should exclude that update as I consider the launch software and hot fix as not true updates. the update count would be 5 to 3, which again for a carrier isn't that bad. to each their own though, I have two OnePlus 6T's one global and one T-Mobile though so I don't mind either one personally

20. Pef3369 Eclair Mar 2, 2019

Pef3369, Mar 2, 2019 :
    Fingerprint gestures, fp improvements, and the new ram optimizations