Upgrade via OnePlus 6

1. Ipirovani
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

Ipirovani , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Hi guys,

I would like to change my phone this year, I've been using my oneplus 6 since 2018.
    I must say that I do not have problems with this one, it was the best android phone I've ever had.
    My question is, if you guys had to choose between Oneplus 8 pro and Oneplus 9 ( not pro version), which one would you choose? And why?

2. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 20, 2021

drl431 , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Hi, that's a tough call...

The OP9 will have 1 more year of support, faster wired charging, and Hasselblad camera tuning.

The OP8pro has OIS on main camera, faster wireless charging, and has a slightly larger curved screen.

Ipirovani and McJader like this.
  3. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 20, 2021

Arjun_Choudhry , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Tbh, neither. I'd suggest you to take a look at the Mi11 or the S21/+ (after discount, ofcourse). This is from a long-term OnePlus user (have bought the latest series every year since the OnePlus 2). I have the 8 Pro, and the display issues are a deal-breaker for me. The 9 is mostly a regression over the 8 Pro, so not worth the price either

4. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

McJader , Apr 20, 2021 :
    In addition to what @drl431 said, the ultrawide sensor on the 9 is supposed to be quite good.

Ipirovani, drl431 and Arjun_Choudhry like this.
  5. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 20, 2021

A worse main camera, no telephoto camera for a better ultra-wide camera? 🤔
    I disagree slightly there (the farther minimum focus distance for macro on the 9 also plays a part here)

6. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

McJader , Apr 20, 2021 :
    I didn't tell him to go for either of them;)
    Just pointed out a pro of the 9.
    I completely agree with your post tho.

Ipirovani and Arjun_Choudhry like this.
  7. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 20, 2021

Hey, didn't mean it in a bad way. I agree with your ultra-wide statement. It's just that the increased minimum distance for the ultra-wide slightly takes away from the macro experience (you can never get too close ;))

8. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

McJader , Apr 20, 2021 :
    No offense taken:D
    Yea, and for those that prefer to take macro shots from their phone, it is a factor to consider.

Ipirovani and Arjun_Choudhry like this.
  9. Ipirovani
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

Thanks, I would go for Oneplus 9, but it is hard to choose. I want to keep using android, despite the fact that I have a macbook as my computer, it isn't a burden for me using an android phone and a macbook.

drl431 likes this.
  10. Ipirovani
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

I'll take a look at these phones, but... I personally don't like xiaomi haha... I don't know how to explain.
    So, if you are giving me the advice to look to others options, you would rather choose a Samsung or a xiaomi device over an oneplus?

11. angch
    Eclair Apr 20, 2021

angch , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Hi @Ipirovani, I was in a same boat as you, deciding for a new phone. I had an OP9 pre-ordered, but cancelled and got an OP 8T instead.

The answer will be based on what is important to you. For me it was important to avoid the curved display if I can, to have a fast-ish processor (I don't require the absolute latest and greatest), to have 120 Hz refresh rate on the display, OIS in the main camera. I went for the OP 8T because it covers what I want and costs less than the OP9. I will miss on having wireless charging though, which I wanted to try out.

On the camera department, as I am not taking photos for national geographic, I will be OK with the 8T camera, as far as I have seen in the various reviews. It takes good enough pictures for me to keep my memories and will be an improvement to my current phone. I don't mind not having a telephoto lens, since zoomed in photos require a super steady hand and turn out blurry even with the best of them.

I don't get why suddenly the whole world is turning against OnePlus. I LOVE their phones. I lived the past 2-3 years without a OnePlus and I can't wait to have one again, I hate my current phone and have been missing OP from the very beginning I got it. I had an OP 3T which I loved and I broke it sadly, so I had to settle for a cheaper option.

By the way I was taking perfectly good pictures with my OP 3T already, so I can't wait to see what else they have in stock :) currently waiting for my order to arrive :)

Edited to add: I switched to a Huawei after my OP 3T broke, and I have come to the conclusion I HATE heavy Android skins like the Huawei, Xiaomi and Samsung ones. So for me all these are a no-go, especially with all the bloatware. Other phones I considered were the Pixel and the Xperia, but none of them sells in my country, sadly.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021

12. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Arjun_Choudhry , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Honestly, yes. I would definitely switch away from OnePlus, especially for a Samsung this year. OnePlus seems to offer nothing over the S21 (except the Alert Slider, Warp Charge and OOS), but is a significant downgrade in terms of update policy, durability, telephoto camera and battery backup with Wireless charging. It's literally a head vs heart comparison, this time the head in favor of the S21 :)

13. angch
    Eclair Apr 21, 2021

angch , Apr 21, 2021 :
    Where one lives changes this drastically...where I live the base S21 model is 150 euros more expensive than the OP9 and has exynos instead of snapdragon 888. I don't like telephoto lenses, so for me it does not bring anything over the OP9, it only brings disadvantages AND costs more: smaller screen, smaller battery, plastic back, worse SoC, bloated UI, bluetooth 5.0 instead of the latest 5.2. Here the OP9 has wireless charging, same as the S21 at 15W. I did not like the lack of OIS though in the OP9, so I actually gave up on wireless charging and got an OP 8T instead.

14. Arjun_Choudhry
    KitKat Apr 21, 2021

Arjun_Choudhry , Apr 21, 2021 :
    I'd rather take a plastic back than a plastic frame (less prone to bending and more durable. And again, it goes in a case ;)). Also, atleast where I live, the 9 does not have wireless charging. No variable refresh rate, no Gorrila Glass Victus, no IP68 rating, 2+1 years of bimonthly updates vs 3+1 years of monthly (last year quarterly) updates, a much worse camera setup (for people who take photos a lot), worse CS support and service centre network (important if something happens to the device, or if the display starts showing the green tint and black crush issue, messed up my experience with the 8 Pro). I agree that the OneUI is still bloated, but for once (I really value software, honestly), I prefer the deal offered by Samsung over what is offered by OnePlus. And if someone touches the 9 Pro's price range, the S21 Ultra can be found for nearly the same amount in almost every region. So if anyone is able to find the S21 (+/Ultra too) in their price range with a Snapdragon chip, that would definitely be my suggestion. Definitely not the OnePlus this year (in the last 6 years, I have recommended OnePlus devices to over 50 people and bought 8 devices myself)

15. angch
    Eclair Apr 21, 2021

angch , Apr 21, 2021 :
    To each their own :) just saying that recommending the S21 over the OP9 might differ in other parts of the world.

As far as photography goes, It has occurred to me that when people say "good camera" they mean that pictures will look nice even if the person taking them is not really following photography best practices, just points and shoots and gets beautiful photos. Fair enough, it is something to ask for.

I am taking a lot of photos, and I have taken some great shots with every phone I have had. Heck, I even took some great shots with film cameras and with my first digital camera which was the Sony Cybershot DSC-U20 (google it, it was so small and cute). I think that once you learn your camera system you can make the most out of it in any phone. Every camera system has disadvantages and advantages.

Concerning the plastic frame, I am not sure how a plastic back is better than a plastic frame. The type of plastic used in this frame is also used in motorcycle helmets, so I would say it is pretty durable and definitely displays better elasticity properties compared to metal, which bends and dents. I definitely think that a plastic back gives a cheaper feel than only the frame being plastic. But, like I said, to each their own, this is personal preference :)