OxygenOS [[URGENT]] Phone stuck in bootloop after updating

1. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    Today i got a notification to get OOS that was released today, but the OTA didn't work, so I decided to download it and flash it using TWRP.
    However, the phone got stuck in a loop where the red dot is in the middle and two white dots circle it... After wiping everything but my personal data (i hope) the phone did nothing and got stuck in the oneplus logo and says powered by android
    So i flashed an older version of the OOS, but it's still in the bootloop... I need URGENT some help, anyone knows which version i could flash in order to have the phoen back to normal?

2. Manal Jain
    Donut May 8, 2018

Manal Jain , May 8, 2018 :
    You need to wipe data..to the factory mode..jus j don't clear uo your files, music etc. And you will be good to go

3. Hydra Bob
    Starting Point Expert May 8, 2018

Hydra Bob , May 8, 2018 :
    Details, details, details. What version did you try updating to? What exactly did you wipe from TWRP i.e. what options did you select? Did you wipe before or after attempting to flash? What version did you try to roll back to? What version of TWRP are you using? What phone do you have? Can you link to the ROM you downloaded? Anything you can tell us will make helping you easier.

Wackencorpse likes this.
  4. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

Wackencorpse , May 8, 2018 :
    This is how it should work. Without further information the community isn't able to help. Everybody should know this so far.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  5. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

6. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

Have you already installed Android Oreo or do you want to switch from Nougat to Oreo?

7. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

8. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    i'm not really sure but i think the OS i had in the phone before this update was OOs 4.5.14

9. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

Best Answer
    Okay, this could be the problem. The "normal" TWRP can't update from Nougat to Oreo. Boot your phone into recovery mode and look if you got access to all folders. I think you will not have this access and have bricked you phone right now. The only solution is to use the unbrick tool. I got the same problem several times. To update from Nougat to Oreo through TWRP you can use codeworkx TWRP.

buntycubal, Hydra Bob and xchikyx like this.
  10. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    i can access the folders... the only weird thing is that all files in the /sdcard are now just files with lots of letters and numbers but not the ones i used to have...

11. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

The only solution is now to use the tools I have posted. In my opinion there is no other way to solve this problem. You will loose all your data (including photos, music etc) through this process.

12. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    oh :/
    that sucks... but well... i'll have to then...
    just to know, how long should it take to boot if the process is done right?

13. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

Perhaps about 5 minutes. If you are following the instructions given in the thread you will have no problem. It is very easy to unbrick the phone.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  14. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    I got this message on the phone:
    "Encryption unsuccessful
    Encryption was interrupted and can't coplete. As a result, the data on your phone is no longer accessible.
    To resume using your phone, you need to preform a factory reset. When you set up your phone after the reset, you'll have an oportunity to restore any data that was backed up to your Google Account."

Note: this was after trying to install a nougat version before trying to wipe everything

15. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

Did you use the unbrick tool or what did you do?

Hydra Bob likes this.
  16. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    just flashing the older nougat version...
    After deleting everything (RIP all my files) the phone is working again...
    Unfortunately, the titanium back up folder died in the process too...
    now that it's blank i might try updating to oreo then...

17. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

Sounds good and the thread can be closed. If you want to you can mark my answer as best answer :):D

18. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    UPDATE: it worked... the bad thing is that i did have to delete everything because of an oficial update... that really sucks...

19. xchikyx
    Cupcake May 8, 2018

xchikyx , May 8, 2018 :
    Thank you very much

20. Wackencorpse
    KitKat May 8, 2018

The problem was not the update, the problem is official TWRP which is not able to upgrade from Nougat to Oreo. Everybody who did the update through custom recovery got no problem...

@SoniaB can you please close the thread