[URGENT] Touch Screen Unresponsive in Recovery and in Android

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

Deactivated User , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Hey guys,

So we all know that Synaptics has kinda screwed us over with the touch screen driver. My screen often comes unresponsive; in that case, I just wait it out for a few minutes, and it's back to normal.

Today was not the case.

I'm running CyanogenMod M9 with AK kernel. The screen stopped working, and after a few minutes of not working, I did a hard reset. One interesting thing though is that the power menu didn't pop up, even though it usually does when the power button is held for ~2 seconds.

I was thinking, 'no big deal, right?' But when I booted up, the screen was responsive for maybe 5 seconds, and then it just shut down. Reboot after reboot after reboot, these results repeated.

So I pulled the stock boot.img from the M9 .zip and flashed it in Fastboot. When I booted up, I didn't even get those 5 seconds of grace time where the screen was responsive. Even after waiting 15 minutes, the screen seemed to be dead.

I decided to re-flash the ROM in TWRP. Even though my touchscreen wouldn't function in the actual Android system, it would always function whilst in TWRP. Again, this was not the case. Only the bottom navigation bar would register touches. Everything else was dead.

I'm going to flash CWM and see how everything goes. But please, can someone point me in the right direction, say, if my touchscreen is still dead after re-flashing? Thank you so much...

2. rockin4106
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2014

rockin4106 , Aug 15, 2014 :
    It sounds like your power button is stuck unless you have gotten it to pop back out.

3. prstorero
    Jelly Bean Aug 15, 2014

prstorero , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Gotta correct something here: CM did not screw us. They are not responsible for the touch firmware, that is provided by synaptic and they are waiting on them to provide a fix.

4. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

Deactivated User , Aug 15, 2014 :
    Sorry about that, changed the OP

prstorero likes this.
  5. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

6. srikat
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2014

7. slimtom
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 15, 2014

8. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

9. srikat
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2014

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

10. Deactivated User
    Aug 15, 2014

11. srikat
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2014

12. srikat
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2014

srikat , Aug 15, 2014 :
    My point is, when you are trying to troubleshoot something bring the phone to stock and go from there.

milkdude likes this.
  13. jackos2500
    Eclair Aug 15, 2014

jackos2500 , Aug 15, 2014 :
    I can also report I am having a similar issue after the XNPH30O OTA to stock CM 11S, along with severe battery life drainage problems. I hope these things get fixed soon! :(

14. Spagnum.dk
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2014

Spagnum.dk , Aug 16, 2014 :
    I also have issues with unresponsive screen.

It started for me when I start using profiles.

I had a home profile without screen lock, based on my WIFI network and the standard profile with the screen lock, also based on the WIFI network.

When the phone swifts profile the screen got unresponsive and I need to do a hard reset.

This was before the OTA update.

I’m now on XNPH-30O and I have disabled the profiles, but I still have the unresponsive screen after a reboot, the screen is unresponsive for some time and then starts to work after a while.

I have not tested profiles after the OTA update.

15. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2014

chongswee , Aug 16, 2014 :
    My XNPH-30O is working fine, at least not yet found any big issue, worth to try then.

16. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2014

chongswee , Aug 16, 2014 :
    My XNPH-30O is working fine, at least not yet found any big issue, worth to try then.
    EDIT: sorry double post, network issue here:(

17. donvito83
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2014

donvito83 , Aug 16, 2014 :
    have the same issue with my phone. I notice the screen occasionally overheats and then becomes unresponsive - even after several reboots. extremely annoying.

18. wozza63
    Honeycomb Aug 18, 2014

wozza63 , Aug 18, 2014 :
    Whilst I was on holiday my screen was regularly unresponsive and this was also in a hot country whereas back in the UK all seems fine, so perhaps a heat issue. But I do seem to have a permanently laggy touch screen in which response time is very slow and I also have to press quite hard and can't do quick flicks down pages unlike my N7

19. echocae
    Gingerbread Aug 19, 2014

echocae , Aug 19, 2014 :
    I have the same issue. It's a worry if it's heat related because it's winter here. It will be getting a LOT hotter in a couple of months. Typing fast is impossible on this phone too. It keeps thinking I'm swiping.

20. wozza63
    Honeycomb Aug 19, 2014

wozza63 , Aug 19, 2014 :
    Yeh I've had the typing issue also but the most annoying thing is the slow scrolling, on my N7 all i need is a small flick to get to the bottom of a huge list, on here its multiple large swipes, and it wasn't like this when I first got it, but one day on holiday it just changed after the screen kept going unresponsive. And also I did manage to hard reboot once and the screen was super responsive until the touch screen bit locked up completely again and after another hard reboot it was less responsive again.

I'm sending mine back for repair soon due to the SIM card slot, and I also mentioned this touch screen issue but they will claim that because its working they won't replace it, but I guess I can swallow paying for a new screen providing its not too expensive, but if its cheaper to take it to a small claims court then I'll do that.