[US and Canada] Season of Giving: Share a heartwarming story, give a gift!

1. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Dec 12, 2019

Ruby G. , Dec 12, 2019 :
    FORUM_season_of_giving.jpg

Hello friends,

Time for the last holiday points activation before our year-end bazaar! Recently, I’ve been thinking about the good things that happen as a result of these community forums – here, we form friendships, help each other out and learn so much. Across different threads, we end up sharing parts of their lives together, and probably impact more lives than we realize. This month’s contest prompt is inspired by these good vibes, and gives a chance for you to spread the love too!

Question to answer: Share a heartwarming story or moment from your life.

Holiday gifting bonus: Tag one user from this thread whose story you enjoyed. We’ll send them an additional gift if you’re chosen as a winner!

Friendly reminder that everyone who participates earns 2 holiday points. On top of this, here are the December prizes:
    • Grand Prize winner: Claim your OnePlus Never Settle Sweatshirt prize now or get 20 points
    • 2nd tier winners (3): Claim your OnePlus Notebooks now or get 10 points
    Looking forward to your stories! This contest will close on December 27, at 6PM EST.

12/30 Update
    Thank you to everyone who came by this thread, whether it was to share a story or send your support via a like/comment. What a wonderful way to end the year! Please join me in congratulating the following winners.

Grand Prize:
    @caffeinePlease (who nominated a special gift to @Tax_Mny)

Runner ups:
    @A1563203556363, @Asmith2056 (special gift nomination: @caffeinePlease)
    @The1Lion (special gift nomination: @luigimario)

2. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Dec 12, 2019

Stickied Post
    Ruby G. , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Tag someone who has posted in this thread - welcome to edit your entry to put in the name anytime before the end of the contest :)

3. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Dec 12, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 12, 2019 :
    wow exciting!
    can't wait to put mine up, it's a little sad but very heart warming!

also @Ruby G. are we supposed to tag people after they post a story or tag people we know good stories about that are in the community

4. caffeinePlease
    Froyo Dec 12, 2019

caffeinePlease , Dec 12, 2019 :
    Back when I worked for Microsoft Store, we had an Xbox out in the middle of the mall with Just Dance available to play.

A girl of about eight or nine approached, but rather than just another kid wanting to dance along to the game, she was bound to a wheelchair, which obviously isn't conducive to jumping up and down. She asked me to turn on Frozen's "Let It Go" and we both had a blast playing (as a grown man, it was a funny sight to see me shake my rear end to a Disney song for all mall walkers to see).

After asking plenty of kids to join in all day (who weren't in wheelchairs), to have this young lady bravely ask to try left an impression on me. So much so, I went to the back to our swag collection and gave her a bunch of Xbox-branded cups, bags, pencils, stickers, etc. just to celebrate her enthusiasm.

Her mother and aunt told me I had really made her day, but it was her courage to not let a disability prevent her from having fun that still to this day brings a smile to my face.

I've enjoyed the story from @Tax_Mny!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019

5. MosheG1

Warning: this story is sad with a bittersweet but heartwarming ending.

One day in Norfolk Virginia a camp of kids from an elementary school went on a hike at a nature reserve by the Atlantic ocean with their teachers. They came across a beach and decided to stop and play ball there. A few of the kids decided to wade into the water with their freinds by the edge of the ocean to be safe. One of the teachers was standing there watching. Unfortunately a fluke wave came and dragged 2 of the kids into the water along with the teacher. Another teacher who was also watching called to a teacher who was good at swimming and yelled at him to help. without thinking that teacher whi was a strong swimmer jumped in to save the kids and teacher and started to swim after them. Soon after a surfer came by and jumped in with his board and saved the kids and the first teacher and brought them back to shore. After everyone realized that the teacher who had jumped in to save them hadn't come back and when they looked out to sea they saw him bobbing in the water and soon went under. They immediately called the coast guard and the search began.

Meantime the kids were rushed to the hospital and came out fine, but the teacher was still missing and it was getting late.

Meanwhile the community came to the house of the (assumed) widow and five children to try to comfort them.

after when everyone got home all the kids in the school got together along with the community and started to pray for the mising teacher. Not long after the media reported the incident and the news got out and people all over the world (from my culture) started to pray for him.

After 2 days the coast guard started to say that they wouldn't be able to search forever (this happened on tuesday and by thursday the coast guard said they were going to have to give up searching)

Then somthing miraculous happened, the whole extended community along the entire east coast (I'm talking like from as high up as Connecticut to as low down as Florida) mobilized and suddenly there were multiple search planes being flown above the ocean in that area, people on ships, boats and even jet skis came from up and down the coast to search for the missing teacher, there were even people on ATVs combing the beaches just driving up and down the area searching for hours a day.

The coast guard said they had never seen such a thing before and were shocked as to what was happening. People drove through the night from Maryland and other places with boats and whatever they had to search for the teacher.

Then the commanding officer of the local coast guard walked into the building in full uniform, where all of the search plans were being conducted by the community, and just stood there and started crying. He said " i dont know much about you people and your culture but if this is the type of life you guys live then i want to be a part of it, if the (greater) community has such a love for each other that they are willing to go to such extreme lengths for someone who is most likely dead at this point and whom they never even knew, then i need to be a part of this"

He then said that while officially the coast guard published that the search has been stopped, but that as of now he would unofficially restart the search! He said "how can the coast guard do nothing while regular every day people spend hours a day from all over the east coast searching for this man". So the local police and coast guard continued the search as well.

Then came Saturday which is a day of rest for my people, and so everyone had to go home on Friday back to where they came from on the east coast. but then Saturday night people drove through the night to get back to Norfolk and contiued the search. Organizations showed up and people were literally just walking the beaches searching for a sign hoping to at least find the body and provide some sort of closure for his widow and children.(burying the body is very important in our religion)

not too long after one of the ships found the body. the body was brought back and the funeral took place and everyone went home. Soon after many news stations started to call up the head of that community and asked him why it is that while usually the search is given up after a day or 2 but here it didn't.

and soon the story was published and the story went from "teacher of children drowns in the ocean", to " half the east coast mobilizes to try and find a missing teacher lost at sea".

Everytime i think about this (and all the effort put in by me and everyone in my extended community) and the closure and comfort we were able to bring to his family, while it makes me sad, it gives me hope as well. We can see from this story what can be accomplished when we band together in any given situation!

And maybe this teacher was able to teach us just one more lesson.

@caffeinePlease really warmed my heart.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019

6. MosheG1

thanks!

7. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2019

Tax_Mny , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 12, 2019 :
    6 years ago I was working at FedEx Office. A young teen came inside and wanted to overnight some roses and some other items to his girlfriend that lives out of state. He was not aware of how much overnight shipping cost and he also was short like $20.

I thought to myself it's the holidays and I reached into my wallet and paid the difference. Although he didn't exactly say thank you. The look on his face said everything. Either way I was happy to help.

@caffeinePlease and @MosheG1 both have a great story. [e]1f4aa[/e][e]1f4aa[/e][e]1f4aa[/e]

8. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 13, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 13, 2019 :
    That is such an interesting story but I feel bad for that brave teacher

9. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Dec 13, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 13, 2019 :
    me too, every now and again I think about him and what could have been...

10. MosheG1

why did you post this here?

11. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Dec 13, 2019

12. Anshu3110
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 13, 2019

Anshu3110 , Dec 13, 2019 :
    Oh my, this is truly touching and heartfelt! It brings back my hope in the mankind. I got goosebumps reading this!

13. Anshu3110

:'(

14. Anshu3110

Yes, but I think he's at peace and looking down at everyone with lots of love, to all the people who searched for him! I'm sure he was a great teacher.

15. H1J4CK3D
    Gingerbread Dec 13, 2019

H1J4CK3D , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 13, 2019 :
    hugging and holding my mother's hands after 11 years.

11 years ago in 2007, moved out my mom's house and landed in Perth, Australia. finished studies and started working. Work and time moved so fast that either parties didn't get the chance to visit each other.

in 2019, when she arrived at London Heathrow, seeing her slow walk and the fatigue on her face, I regretted ever leaving Chicago and realized I missed her care for me for 11 years.

mom's are the best!!!!!!!

16. MosheG1

thank you!
    I would like to think so!

17. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 13, 2019

18. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 13, 2019

luigimario , Dec 13, 2019 :
    All right, so I think I have found the story to warm all your hearts in this cold December weather (depending on where you live I guess).

This is actually about some family friends and their daughter. When I first met this family it was a family party, the type that would be for special occasions like birthdays, Christmas, new years etc. Their daughter was probably around 6 years old at the time and she just seemed like a polite and quiet child. The only thing that stood out about her was that she was bald. I'm sure some of you figured it out already, she didn't have alopecia, the poor dear had been fighting cancer since she was very young.

I would see them a couple times a year and the daughter was usually quiet, maybe talked to a couple of the other children there but didn't play with all the kids like most of them did. Maybe she felt sick a lot of the time, maybe she felt like she couldn't relate to the other kids, or maybe she wasn't interested in friends because she wasn't sure when she would get sick again. I guess it might be difficult for a kid to get excited about special occasions like birthdays or Christmas if they think there's a chance they might not be able to celebrate it when the time comes.

There was a period of time, probably a year or two where I didn't see the family at these regular parties. I didn't know what to think but I hoped for the best because over the years the girl had health scares and get parents would ask everyone for prayers and well wishes. I guess they just weren't able to make those parties because the next time I saw them, the girl looked a lot happier, more energetic, and she had a full head of hair! It was so great to see the parents happy and full of life because their daughter was now playing and laughing with all the other children and she was looking forward to birthdays, and parties, and Christmas! She had beaten her illness and was in remission!

A few more years went by and now the girl was in high school. She was taking care in her appearance and from what I gathered she was even dating. Her parents were so happy for her and it was really nice to see this kid grow up and get to enjoy life. I'm pretty sure she's in university by now, or maybe finished recently.

Thinking of this family and that brave little girl always make me appreciate what I have and try to look on the bright side of situations. It makes me so glad that this story had a happy ending because it easily could have gone there other way.

Merry Christmas everyone! Don't forget to hug your kids/parents/loved ones! :D

(Current favourite story - @The1Lion )

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019

19. MosheG1

can't wait to see what you post!

I1562014290051 likes this.
  20. brian.sedore
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 14, 2019

brian.sedore , Dec 14, 2019 :
    After having a hard day and arriving home to hear the laughter of your child. I know it's not much of a story really, but it gets me every time.

It's nice to hear stories like those from @Tax_Mny, especially around the holiday season.