[US and Canada] Season of Giving: Share a heartwarming story, give a gift!

1. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2019

Tax_Mny , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I know exactly what you mean about having a rough day and going home to your child. My son brings me so much joy [e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e]

I1562014290051, MosheG1 and cdnfarmer like this.
  2. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Dec 14, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Honestly sometimes the simplest things are the best. I must say to hear a kids laughter and especially your own kids' laughter is the best. Something a parent knows well.

3. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Dec 14, 2019

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019

I1562014290051, MosheG1 and YRJ like this.
  4. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Dec 14, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 14, 2019 :
    A story of friendships built over years and continents through the OnePlus forum.

In other threads, you can read about the effects OnePlus has had on several people's lives. Friendships built through this community. Earlier in the days, there was a photo group already starting. Hennes described his story on discoveries and developed YaImCo. Meanwhile there was a select group of people who tested it out. As a thank you for the app, the group built a gift. They came up with YaCoCup... A coder cup or coffee cup as described by woSch. There was more to this story. Script provides the rest of the story on how the cup was delivered to Hennes. These folks have worked together became friends and all ok most of them met in Köln in Oct 2019. It is so nice to see the humans behind the avatar, appreciating eachother's qualities and working together. To this day, you can still see the comradery among them.

Being across the pond (as @Cheetosdust calls the Atlantic ocean)., It is very nice to work with bouncer71, woSch, Otto, Hennes and script on projects.

One of the neat parts while in Köln, was script and I got to work on the monthly photo thread in person sitting beside eachother instead at an electronic device some 8000km away. Having interacted online with the rest, it was absolutely incredible meeting them in person. That meeting was amazing, priceless, and memorable. Meeting these amazing people who are good true friends. It felt like we had been friends for decades. All because our photography passion connected through this forum.

@luigimario, I tag you in hope that you get inspired.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019

5. KeBlam
    US Brand Ambassador Dec 14, 2019

KeBlam , Dec 14, 2019 :
    Back when I worked at Starbucks a few years ago, it was getting rather cold in San Francisco, especially during the Winter time and there were tons of homeless people here and there, with nowhere to sleep. While the store that I worked at was 24 hours, many people would come and go. Despite the homeless wanting to stay, my peers would always try and shoo them away. They've even hired a security guard to prevent hostile individuals from stealing. I've come to notice that all they wanted was for someplace to call home and a little food to eat. All this time, we, as people of the society, are living our lives so well, ignoring those around us. But it was at this moment that I knew I needed to do a little something.

Although I am but one person, I gave the homeless a portion of what little I had to offer. After my shift, I made a few warm drinks and I heated a few paninis. It was around 10pm, quite late at night I would say and yet the streets were still quite rowdy. I can get dogs barking and people howling as I pass out a few food and drinks. Yes, I would agree that I'm only giving them a fish rather than teaching how to, as the saying goes; but I did all I can at that moment and that's all that matters.

Despite providing them a single meal, the thought and the action of giving was enough to warm their hearts and I don't regret giving back every now and then. I've come to learn that sometimes a little ripple can change our lives as a whole.

6. Liquid_slushie
    Cupcake Dec 14, 2019

Liquid_slushie , Dec 14, 2019 :
    So my great grandma passed away recently, and her absolute favorite thing to listen to was michael buble. So he is doing a concert here in my state and we were just about to buy tickets because my grandma has always wanted to go, she and my great grandma used to love listening to him together. But when they went to get tickets they realized how much these tickets were. They got up to $300 which is alot and we couldn't afford going. Well about a week later we found out that our great grandma had a will. And we were able to claim it and my grandma had tears going down here eyes because she saw yours as a sign for them to go from my great grandma.

7. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Dec 14, 2019

The1Lion , Dec 14, 2019 :
    I think my most recent story is still taking shape. It's about my son's growing up and reaching an age when they start thinking of others during the holidays. Not that they haven't before, just now my oldest is old enough to make independent decisions about spending his own money.

I came home the other day and he was very excited about his school having their "shop" open for the school children to but items. He was actually excited though because he bought items for his younger brother, my wife and myself.

"Dad! You want to see what I bought you?!?!?" he asked me excitedly. "No, you should wrap it and place it under the tree and we'll wait until Christmas" was my response, but he was just too excited about it so asked "Well, can I show you what I bought Mom and Xander?" :rolleyes::D

He proceeded to show me the gifts trying, a bit too hard I think, to hide his younger brothers present from him. My youngest was playing with toys so not really paying any attention to us but I understood the excitement and feeling when this Christmas you not only are receiving gifts, but now can afford to spend some saved money to buy gifts as well.:D

He had bought a nice necklace and earrings set for my wife, yes the cheap type you'll proudly wear because they are a gift from you child ;). For his younger brother he bought a stuff toy - hedgehog.

Shortly after showing the gifts to me, I noticed he was playing around with the necklace. Apparently the clasp had come loose and "disconnected" :eek:. Knowing how it feels to have a gift your excited to give someone not be perfect or worse broken, I asked him what was wrong and if he needed help. Once I showed him how it should be reattached, he went to work, fixed it and repacked it. Christmas saved! :p

The gifts are now wrapped and safely (hopefully) placed under the tree waiting for Christmas morning. Can't wait to see what my buddy got me! :cool:

I'm tagging @luigimario as his story hits home with a co-worker who has a young daughter going through treatments. Here's to hope!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019

8. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 15, 2019

9. luigimario

luigimario , Dec 15, 2019 :
    When is the end of the contest? I didn't notice a date in your opening post.

I1562014290051, cdnfarmer and MosheG1 like this.
  10. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 15, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 15, 2019 :
    wow!
    my heart just burst into flames! not just warm!
    it's always heartening to hear about someone beating cancer

I1562014290051 and luigimario like this.
  11. luigimario

luigimario , Dec 15, 2019 :
    Thanks bud, this really is a great thread! :D

I1562014290051 and MosheG1 like this.
  12. MosheG1
    Jelly Bean Dec 15, 2019

I1562014290051 and luigimario like this.
  13. YRJ
    Marshmallow Dec 15, 2019

YRJ , Dec 15, 2019 :
    I wonder where did you get this idea from. Just brilliant! :D

Hahaha! Kidding aside. It's just awesome to read these heart-warming stories. We should do this more often :)

14. Ashwin9417
    Eclair Dec 15, 2019

I1562014290051 and G_plusone like this.
  15. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Dec 16, 2019

Ruby G. , Dec 16, 2019 :
    Aha I would prefer something different if possible :)

16. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Dec 16, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 16, 2019 :
    Great. Thank you

I1562014290051 likes this.
  17. joshzuelke
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2019

joshzuelke , Dec 16, 2019 :
    Hello Everyone,

In 2016 I took a trip to Sanibel Island Florida, as some may know this place is great for sea shells and other cool finds on the beach. One day while walking on the beach I found something else sticking out of the sand. It was an old waterproof camera that had been broken and covered in barnacles and rusting. Something told me I needed to get the photos out of it.
    I managed to get the SD card out (covered in rust and corroded).After a lot of trial and error I managed to get it completely cleaned off and somehow managed to take the broken pieces and push them together and my computer magically got into it. I found the photos and posted the best ones of the family online, they were old family photos from 4 years earlier.
    The camera had been in the ocean for 4 years. I managed to get thousands of shares on Facebook, FINALLY after about a week I found the family and was able to share them a few hundred photos that they believed they had lost to the ocean. It was so rewarding getting the photos back to the family. They were very grateful. Here is a link to the story from a Chicago news station -

I enjoyed @caffeinePlease story!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019

18. aboozar20
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2019

aboozar20 , Dec 17, 2019 :
    We appreciate each other

An old couple were living together. The old man always complained about his wife's snoring, and the old woman would never go under, leaving her husband's flock to her excuses. Say this the maggots continued. Until one day an old man comes to his head to prove that his wife is sleeping snoring and disrupts his comfort. The old man wakes up in the morning and rejoices that his poor wife has a valid document to prove her night snoring and calls her, unaware that the poor woman has fallen asleep! From that night on, the old snoring recordings become a lullaby to her lonely nights.

We appreciate everybody to regret it one day

G_plusone likes this.
  19. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Dec 17, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 17, 2019 :
    @Ruby G. Here is a short story

The pure love of a young child.

My youngest is full of life and likes to laugh. This child loves to run and jump into my arms. One day, the little one wanted to spread some cheer and love. Looking at me, the little one smiles backs up to get enough momentum, and runs full speed with arms wide open and big smile to hug me. I kneeled down and this procedure was repeated a dozen of times. Each time there was a strong hug and giggles. Good times.
    :):hearteyes::hearteyecat:

@brian.sedore for your child's story.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019

20. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Dec 17, 2019

cdnfarmer , Dec 17, 2019 :
    Ever since I was 4 years old, I wanted a horse. Yes the real live animal with mane an tail and 4 legs that likes oats and hay. I would consistently ask for a horse on every birthday and Christmas. But alas for many reasons, it was not feasible. I got all kinds of horse toys, riding lessons etc but no horse. I was between 8-12 years old and a colleague of my parents had a horse. She would bring me to the barn and there I got to be immersed in the horse world. It felt so awesome. We moved in different places. Another 12-14 years went by, and to my surprise we were in the same city. We met up, now as a young adult in a Master's degree, we went to the barn. She showed me her horse. It was the SAME horse!!! Imagine my delight.The horse was at least in her twenties (good for a horse). I was amazed. The lady touched me and affected my passion for horses. She gave a young kid an opportunity like no other. When I saw her and her horse again. I couldn't believe how wonderful it was to experience that feeling again.

She gave me an opportunity that was incredible. It touched me even till this today. I want to give that opportunity to people; kids and adults alike. What she did for me, I was able to give to a couple of young adults, who were far from home, the opportunity to be in nature and ride horses (their passion too).

And yes, if you wonder, I finally did get a horse... It took only 24 years!

@luigimario for another Canadian how has horsed around. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019