[US and Canada] Season of Giving: Share a heartwarming story, give a gift!

1. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 18, 2019

MosheG1 and cdnfarmer like this.
  2. cookiem0nster
    Cupcake Dec 18, 2019

cookiem0nster , Dec 18, 2019 :
    This is a story,
    About a boy named Tory,
    Who lived his whole life in a shed.

He was happy and was content
    even though he slept on the cement
    Even in the winter cold

So over came Santa
    Who gave him a bandanna
    And a blanket to keep him warm

Thus is the story
    Of a young man named Tory
    Who was warmed by the gift of anonymous .

PLEASE DONATE TO SHELTERS THIS WINTER. NOT EVERYONE HAS THE OPPORTUNITY AND WEALTH TO BUY EVERYTHING THEY NEED. Be someone's Santa. Give them a gift they actually need and would appreciate.

P.S. Know that the donation boxes in the streets and in the open are for profit. Donate to places that give away things for free.

G_plusone, MosheG1 and cdnfarmer like this.
  3. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Dec 18, 2019

luigimario and MosheG1 like this.
  4. Rishab_K
    Cupcake Dec 19, 2019

Rishab_K , Dec 19, 2019 :
    “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it” according to my doctor, Heather A. Brandling-Bennet, when I first found out I had alopecia areata. I was eleven years old when I found out that I had this auto-immune medical condition, which would result in a sudden loss of hair on the scalp or face. As a sixth-grader, anything that changed my appearance, however superficially, was essentially the end of the world. The person I saw in the mirror didn't reflect how I saw myself, yet I couldn't deny its reality.

Throughout junior high, I found myself bullied consistently--as more of my hair went down the drain, my confidence went right along with it. I had been a bright, academic-oriented student leading up to my prognosis, but I could no longer find any value in myself and felt like a burden.

My transition into high school was a fresh start for me. I joined six clubs in my freshman year, all of which helped me to realize that my work ethic ultimately makes a much stronger impression on others than my appearance does. I developed a passion for the STEM fields through joining Robotics, where I found a second home--nobody there cared how I looked, only how I involved myself in the work.

During my first robotics season, while in Cheney for regionals, one of the pit crew members responsible for our robot’s repairs and readiness had to return home. I was called to take his place, and we went from little-to-no expectation of doing well to being full of enthusiasm. We made it to the semi-finals as the first pick to the fourth alliance before eventually being eliminated.

The following year as pit crew captain, I took the lead when our team needed it in our last match when one of our pneumatic actuators broke. A pneumatic actuator is a mechanism that uses compressed air acting on a piston as a force inside an airtight cylinder. Our team’s sole offensive mechanism was based off of the actuator. While everyone lost their fighting spirit, I stepped up and sent our pit crew to teams that were not in playoff contention, finding us an actuator from another team just in time to get our robot back into a functioning phase. That moment is when I emerged more as a leader than a follower.

One thing that I can reflect on as of now is that time doesn’t stop for anyone, which is the reality of life. Alopecia has shattered my confidence in the past. However, I refuse to let alopecia, or any medical condition for that matter, stand in my way in the future. For whatever obstacles stand in the way of my hopes, there are always solutions; it’s just about the approach. I’m making sure now that it’s not the 10% circumstance, but the 90%--my reaction--that will determine the course of my future.

One thing I realized through my journey is that time doesn't stop for anyone... So why should we stop for time? Why should we live in fear that we run out of time? Why don't we live our life to the fullest? These are all questions that seem simple to ask, but whenever I think about it, I never have a concrete answer. I lived in this fear for so long for no reason. When I first developed this medical condition, there were few safe havens for me: technology, music and stem. When I first developed this medical condition, I was told one thing by my dad that still sticks with me to this day; "shit happens in life, deal with it. It's not about what happens, but rather how you overcome it." To this day, this is the philosophy I stand by, and I never look back in doubt or fear in anything I do.

Thank you for listening to my story.

I personally connected to @MosheG1. Losing someone who you care about is the hardest things to deal with in the real world.

5. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Dec 19, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 19, 2019 :
    thank you

6. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Dec 19, 2019

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 19, 2019 :
    I hope that this community can become a safe haven for you too... thank you for your story

G1577033668548 likes this.
  7. Lawson_87
    Eclair Dec 19, 2019

Lawson_87 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 19, 2019 :
    This is a story where I was in high school, most play football basketball or such. I did all that in middle school and wanted to do something different. Being from the south, marching band was it. not going to draw out the story as I am to the point guy. so, Do all through the year we had performances and my parents could not make it for work reasons. Well the biggest night due to the fact of the night we are finally playing in out brand new stadium against a rivalry school. Here I am marching in on the drum line playing snare. We stop to March in the stands and as I look up in the packed crowd I look eyes on my pops and mom's with the biggest smile on their face....

G1577033668548 and Ruby G. like this.
  8. Krunal Shimpi
    Eclair Dec 23, 2019

Krunal Shimpi , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Hi,

I am not sharing any story here but want to pass a simple message as lots of folks will read the thread and I think this is best platform.

"Celebrate festivals, birthdays and anniversaries by giving to others. Find a chance to donate. Donate blood, books, food and clothes to one who really need".

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you all.

Regards,
    Krunal Shimpi

G1577033668548 likes this.
  9. F1540872223052 , via OnePlus Community App , Dec 23, 2019 :
    In a time of holiday spirits my wife and I are making big plans. we're trying to have a family and buy a home. it's not easy but we have to work hard and make it happen. I didn't want anything for Christmas but my wife knew I needed a new phone. she saved her pennies and got me the one plus 7t McLaren edition. the fastest most amazing phone in the world. currently telling this story on it. it's these little touches that remind me that you need to cherish who you have. I lost my mom this year and it still hurts. monetary things won't change that but knowing you have someone that wants to put a smile on your face no matter what the cost makes life worth living. thanks to my wife for loving me the way she does and showing me there is always more to life.

10. G1577112276382
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

11. S1538712558426
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

S1538712558426 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    When I was about 10 years old my aunt and uncle who I rarely ever see bought a flight from Arizona to New York to surprise me and my brother for Christmas, it was the best Christmas ever.

Ruby G. likes this.
  12. Mr.No1cares
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

Mr.No1cares , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Not really heartwarming story but it's honest. we have two amazing boys. This year we're like everyone else paying bills rent and working out butts off and spending as much time with our kids as possible. We are fortunate enough to have jobs that when I don't work my wife works and vice versa. Our youngest son has a little bit of a kidney problem since birth and so far it's nothing just have to wait 6 months to see if it gets better or worse (if you pray please pray for him, if you don't pray wishing us luck will do too). With medical bills and all the other bills plus moving on top of that our children's Christmas looked slim to none, but God blessed us with a amazing family on both sides. They all came together even with all their differences and bought our kids all the toys they could ever want and need. Both sides agreed to a truce and not argue over who is better and politics. I'm not even truly happy about all the toys but our families came together as one for us and agreed to not argue in front of the kids. Merry Christmas [e]1f384[/e]
    1577112598291.jpg

Ruby G. likes this.
  13. Asmith2056
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

Asmith2056 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Two years ago my previous manager would drive past the park everyday on the way to work. Unfortunately the sites of the park would really mess up the day before the day even got started good. Views of trash, stray animals, and the homeless stained a good morning everyday for him so much so that he'd come into the office frustrated and barking. Not literally barking but I tell ya he was mean. Until one day, in a cold December, he saw something in passing that just through him over the top. A homeless man and two stray dogs tugging and pulling on the same old dirty blanket. This sparked an idea in him and our work day became an eventful day. When he walked in all flustered he immediately called on our secretary and gave her the company card. He instructed her to go the sams club and purchase a bulk order of blankets, 12 to be exact. Not only that, he also ordered catering from Jim n Nick's bbq only with the intentions of feeding the homeless. After returning back with the materials we all headed out the office to the park and gave away everything. In the midst of feeding them he also sent someone out to get dog food and cat food. No one went hungry that day not even the stray animals. Everyone was warm and thankful. This act of kindness from him made a warm spot in all of our hearts at work prompting us to exchange gifts for Christmas that year throughout the office. I will never forget it.

@caffeinePlease I like your story. It's always good to be helpful to the helpless and brighten the day of another. This gives strength and courage to those who need it most.

Ruby G. likes this.
  14. abdmic16
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

abdmic16 , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 23, 2019 :
    Back in November I had a chance to go back home which is Algeria, Africa. I currently live in the United States. I have not been home or seen my family in a years. I work two jobs and work everyday just to make a trip back home. Which was worth it. My wife and I decided to just enjoy our vacation visiting family and friends and enjoy the cold air. We just needed two weeks to relax. However each trip we take I am so grateful of her because, I was struggling to find love and was traveling alone. It has been a big blessing to have my wife on my side while we travel the world together.

Ruby G. likes this.
  15. G1577033668548
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

G1577033668548 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    this was beautiful

MosheG1 likes this.
  16. itzDiego14
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

itzDiego14 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    There's this special moment that I remember with my mom. Recently my mom told me to come to a baby shower with her, and I told her that I don't like to go to baby showers, but she said that I would like it so I went with her. When I walked in the door I saw my godparents which I have not seen in 4 years ever since they got in a car accident leaving my godmother paralyzed from the waist down. When I saw them all I could do is hug them and cry. That's is my favorite memory. Thank You

Ruby G. likes this.
  17. allstar7610
    Honeycomb Dec 23, 2019

allstar7610 , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Dec 23, 2019 :
    So every year since 2005, I have tried to be the Santa Claus for my family. Im originally from New Orleans and was displaced from there because of the storm. My sister had moved to Atlanta the year before and had switched apartments the week before the hurricane. So at the time my brother's, parents, aunt, cousins and grandmother were living in the metropolitan Atlanta area. I took out a student loan to help my parents, my younger brother, and myself get an apartment. A majority of the rest of the money I had, I spent on buying everyone a little something for Christmas and try to do the same ever since. Some years I try to plan for it months in advance working on retail, just to see some type of enjoyment from which now are my nieces and nephews born on between then and now

Ruby G. likes this.
  18. SamAkey
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

SamAkey , Dec 23, 2019 :
    There's something about having a hard day and going home to see someone you care about and just giving them a hug. it makes all the bad things in the say go away and life's just so much better with someone you care about by your side.

19. Jpp1121
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

Jpp1121 , Dec 23, 2019 :
    When I was 16 I joined my local fire and EMS squad. The people that I met there were so sweet and kind and caring but they also were smart and competent EMTS.

My second call ever was my first "real" call. The patient was an elderly man who had an allergic reaction to a drug he had taken. I saw that he could not breath because his throat had closed up. We weren't able to do anything so we called ALS, advanced life support, or paramedics to help. We helped the patient into the ambulance and the paramedics got to work. As they started to place an IV into his vein I saw the patient wince every time the paramedic had to stick him with the needle. As soon as the paramedics completed their exam we arrived at the hospital. Once we walked into the ER we were placed in the fast track zone and got pushed into the trauma room. After we transfered the patient on the chair, I told him "I hope you feel better" the man looked back into my eyes, grabbed my hand, he was shaking and said "Thank you so much for your help."

Ruby G. and SamAkey like this.
  20. Dbr188
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2019

Dbr188 , via OnePlus 6T , Dec 23, 2019 :
    How telephones influenced my childhood.

Many of my early childhood memories stem from living in a telephone office for about two years when I was 4 to 6 years of age. My single mother and, before her, her single mother were each employed as telephone operators in a part of rural central Alberta known as New Hill.

Combined with telephonically connecting one neighbour to another and beyond, for a time beginning in 1949 both my mother and my grandmother respectively raised their families in the same tiny, 288 square-foot country telephone office. We, my mom, myself and my three siblings, one younger and two older, lived there from 1964 to1966 when we moved to the big City of Red Deer where my mom *eventually got a job as a telephone operator at Alberta Government Telephones.

The rural office itself consisted of a small bedroom that housed a dresser and a double bed where my mom and two sisters slept. My brother and I had the luxury of our own individual beds which manifested in the form of a green, iron, army surplus bunk bed wedged between the foot of the double bed and a wall.

The adjoining main room was the nerve center of the operation, that room consisted of a refrigerator, a kitchen table and chairs, I think there may have also been one upolstered chair, a large coal burning stove and, on bath night, a small galvanised tub. On the wall was a rectangular wooden telephone box made of oak, it had a crank on one side and a receiver on the other. On the face of the cabinet were *four toggles, one for each party line and one for long distance. Flipping the right toggles combined with "short" or "long" cranks allowed my mother to verbally connect the community.

Adjacent to the main room we also had a small porch which housed a payphone that was accessible to any stranger who needed or wanted to use it. The building did not have plumbing or, for that matter, any water at all. We did however have an outhouse that was frequently equipped with a Sears or Eaton's catalogue.

We didn't have a vehicle either so Grace and Henry, neighbours that lived about a 1/4 mile (we still used miles in Canada at that time) down the road delivered fresh water to us in cream cans. We did have closer neighbours from whom we *sometimes got water, they had a well that was about 300 feet from our home. My brother recalls carrying many buckets of water from that well but it was less than ideal so, in addition the the delivered water we would sometimes melt snow instead of using the foul well water.

Turre and Nora were very friendly and helpful grandparent type people who ran a county store and gas pump that would not have been out of place in a Norman Rockwell painting. The store was complete with wooden shelves, wood plank flooring, a big cheese wheel and lollipops. But it was the gas pump out front that was the issue, the underground fuel tank had leaked and contaminated their water supply, rendering it useless for human consumption.

We didn't have much but whether I was catching frogs and tadpoles or jumping off a cliff into the slop pile (compost) or enjoying a warm summer night laying on a blanket watching the stars and the Northern lights. I recall that time with great fondness.

All of the old buildings are now gone and a modern farm house sits where the store once stood. in 2012, after burying my mother in the local cemetery my family and I stopped in and spoke with the current occupants and they said that they do use the water but even now they occasionally notice faint traces a gas.

I enjoyed the story by @Asmith2056

Asmith2056 and Ruby G. like this.