US Brand Ambassadors Discuss: The Future of Smartphone Cameras - Our Predictions

1. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Sep 6, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Sep 6, 2019 :
    screen_shot_2019-09-05_at_2.28.22_pm.png

Hello everyone!

We are @AbhishekS287 and @alexhpeterson, here to talk to you today about our predictions for the future of mobile photography! Before we dive in, here are a few camera and photography terms to help you understand more while we discuss.

Aperture: This is the size of the lens’ opening, allowing more or less light through. A larger aperture allows more light in but has less depth of field, while smaller apertures allow for sharper images. Aperture is normally labeled f/#, where f is the focal length and # is a ratio. For instance, an f/2.7 aperture means that the focal length is 2.7 times the aperture size.

Depth of Field: This refers to how much of an image is in focus. Large depth of field means that more of the distance in front of and behind a subject will be in focus. Small depth of field is used with portrait photography, and is the reason the background is blurred (if not done in software).

DSLR: Digital Single-Lens Reflex, a type of camera that is widely used in photography and offers significant control and real time viewing before capturing an image.

ISO: This is the sensitivity of the camera. A higher ISO value (6400 max on the OnePlus 7Pro) means that the camera is more sensitive to light, but at the cost of less clarity in a picture and more noise. This is why low light photography can appear grainy.

Megapixel (MP): This is essentially the definition of an image. The value shows how many millions of pixels the camera is capable of capturing, which can result in more crisp images with higher megapixel count.

For reference, the triple camera setup on the OnePlus 7Pro has 48MP main, 8MP telephoto, and 16MP ultra-wide rear cameras. The main camera has a f/1.6 aperture.

Additionally, you can also read this wonderful thread posted by @Henaway to get more familiar with manual camera settings.

With what seems to be more cameras on each new smartphone releases, there is more versatility than ever before. Optical image stabilization, wide angle, and telephoto features are almost standard. So where will smartphone cameras go from here? Today we’re discussing the hardware and software that could be in the phone of the future.

Hardware

Hardware is at the very beginning of a camera’s performance. Through the years, companies have been changing and upgrading the hardware behind smartphone cameras, and the current trends might be able to point us in the direction that mobile photography will be heading in the near future.

The first cameras that were introduced into smartphones were roughly 2 megapixels! Compare that to the 48 megapixel main sensor on the OnePlus 7 Pro, and the leap is enormous. Even since the inception of the OnePlus 1, the cameras have jumped from 13 to 48 megapixels. Over five years, this is just over 3.5 times improvement. This slope could easily hold true five years from now, when phones may have over 100 megapixel sensors, allowing for higher resolution than ever before.

The wide angle and telephoto lenses currently on the 7 Pro can also be improved upon, offering a wider field of view and greater zoom. Wider field of view can be achieved through a fisheye lens, although it would protrude more from the phone than current camera bumps. Some other companies have already incorporated advanced zoom technology into their phones, with the camera operating like a periscope (albeit at the expense of taking up more space in the phone housing.) The one lens not currently in the lineup is a macro lens. Surprisingly, there have not been leaps and bounds in regards to macro photography. Food, plants, and other close subject photography could be greatly improved with a macro lens, although the size constraints of a smartphone might be prohibitive.

While hardware improvements are allowing for better smartphone cameras, the additions mean nothing without solid accompanying software.

Software

As important as hardware is for a camera system, software optimization and post-processing are equally significant for it to produce good images. OnePlus has built some solid software optimizations in the camera department and have used them for some brilliant camera features, namely, portrait mode, studio lighting, and nightscape – to name a few. For the future, we believe software optimizations can also be used to enhance other photography features such as dynamic backgrounds using scene detection. With the use of optical and telephoto sensors, it is relatively easier for camera systems now to differentiate the foreground and the background. More research and machine learning experiments can result in solutions that not only effectively separates the background from the foreground, but is also able to replace it with something else. This is currently widely performed using the concept of green screens, but we believe this might be something that future camera systems can definitely achieve with extensive software processing and research.

Thus, as we see, both hardware and software are constantly being improved upon with every new smartphone generation, and we believe that it is only a matter of time before we see these changes in our phones. Even now, mobile photography has drastically improved from years past. So until these predictions become a reality, show us some of your best shots taken from your phone, and let us know what you think will be possible with the smartphone camera in the future!

#NeverSettle

2. Hugeatom342
    Froyo Sep 6, 2019

3. Hugeatom342
    Froyo Sep 6, 2019

Hugeatom342 , Sep 6, 2019 :
    FUTURE:- Camera with Artificial intelligence will most probably be coming wherein camera AI on smartphones will be used for scene recognition. You fire up the camera app, point your phone at your subject, and it will automatically tune the settings for the best possible shot, depending on what category the subject falls under and other factors like lighting conditions.

4. BhavyaMehta0786
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 6, 2019

BhavyaMehta0786 , Sep 6, 2019 :
    The thing is that this is already available on almost all AI capable smartphones...

T1548569808820 and G_plusone like this.
  5. Hugeatom342
    Froyo Sep 6, 2019

I agree but there is a ton of ways in which the technology can be improved. Don't u think so ??

G1567839308048 likes this.
  6. Hugeatom342
    Froyo Sep 6, 2019

another idea :- cameras can have face recognition along with face movement recognition.. so that with a particular gesture of the eye or face the camera can click a picture in the selfie mode without the need to press the button. The gestures should be customisable though.

G1567839308048 likes this.
  7. Aashish Kumar Shaw
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2019

8. Aashish Kumar Shaw
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2019

Aashish Kumar Shaw , Sep 7, 2019 :
    If possible add a feature to remove people or moving objects from a picture by capturing multiple photos at specific interval of time.

joshgmustang and johncbradley1 like this.
  9. AbhishekS287
    US Brand Ambassador Sep 7, 2019

AbhishekS287 , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Those are petty good shots! [e]1f44d[/e]

I think OnePlus 7 Pro already has something similar to it. But yes, tech can always be improved upon.

That's a pretty cool idea. I think I have seen smile detection but yes a customizable gesture definitely sounds interesting.

That's a nice shot too. Makes me feel hungry now. [e]1f602[/e]

That's a great idea and definitely a thing that seems quite possible in the near future.

10. Aashish Kumar Shaw
    Gingerbread Sep 7, 2019

Aashish Kumar Shaw , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Glad you liked it. :D

11. thethakursahab
    Eclair Sep 7, 2019

12. TrapStoner
    Donut Sep 7, 2019

TrapStoner , Sep 7, 2019 :
    The future in front cameras lies under the display imo, idk about back cameras only time will tell.

13. Hugeatom342
    Froyo Sep 7, 2019

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019

14. rajanuiki
    Eclair Sep 7, 2019

Attached Files:

P1567962522290 likes this.
  15. dubbaYous
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 7, 2019

dubbaYous , Sep 7, 2019 :
    Hence eliminating those pesky photo bombers, huh

16. neilhingu
    Froyo Sep 8, 2019

neilhingu , Sep 8, 2019 :
    1567914957154.jpg

1567914957580.jpg

OnePlus 7pro still phone is struggling with focus I have Oneplus5t also I like very much photo of op5t

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019

P1567962522290 likes this.
  17. I1565374158266
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2019

P1567962522290 and Vikashlb like this.
  18. rajattiwari
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2019

19. alteredtech
    Froyo Sep 8, 2019

alteredtech , Sep 8, 2019 :
    doest OnePlus have this as well with smart scene detection?

20. P1567962522290
    Cupcake Sep 8, 2019

P1567962522290 , Sep 8, 2019 :
    Looking at all of these photos, I'm excited about my OnePlus 7 pro. I received mine for my birthday in June, but haven't been using it to its full capacity. I do a lot of video work and use it with my gimbal. I noticed that it's pretty steady without it though.