USB C Headphones on One Plus 5

1. Tiki_Gofar Eclair Jul 22, 2017

Tiki_Gofar, Jul 22, 2017 :
    Hello,

Anyone besides me interested in USB C headphones on this phone? Yes this phones comes with a headphone jack, but USB C is a revolutionary I/O. According to some USB C audio will sound better. Is it even possible for One Plus to send an update to our phones to enable this feature. Or does it require hardware?

article for reference:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/3-5mm-audio-usb-type-c-701507/

stefan_ddorf likes this.
  2. Tiki_Gofar Eclair Jul 22, 2017

NikhilJagtap and David Y. like this.
  3. Mackovich Donut Jul 22, 2017

Mackovich, Jul 22, 2017 :
    Is the sounds really that good?

Jack port is analog... Meaning there is chip that convert digital signal to analog. If the chip is cheap (^^) sure, the sound would be of a lesser quality.

But for USB Type-C it's all digital... So no difference?
    I am not entirely sure... I might be wrong...

4. darklajid Donut Jul 22, 2017

darklajid, Jul 22, 2017 :
    Newsflash: Your ears are analog. You can't waive the 'convert digital to analog' step away.

The article doesn't seem too bad and mostly talks about _potential_ improvements (possibly more reliable buttons on your headphones for next/prev/volume, the theoretical ability to improve active noise cancellation if you do the conversion right in the headphones (using microphones in the headphones).

It's highly unlikely that "According to some USB C audio will sound better" makes sense. According to some, Justin Bieber sounds better than Jay-Z. That's an opinion (and arguably a weak one :p). USB C audio cannot magically improve the audio quality.

borft likes this.
  5. tangbunna Froyo Jul 22, 2017

Budruel likes this.
  6. sadish Cupcake Jul 22, 2017

sadish, Jul 22, 2017 :
    For the USB-C Earbuds to work, you need to enable OTG. It is a setting in your Device Settings > Storage area.

HBP87 and Tiki_Gofar like this.
  7. Aashish.007 Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 22, 2017

Aashish.007, Jul 22, 2017 :
    Also you can use external DAC and rock with the USB C sound setup.

8. zx322a Eclair Jul 22, 2017

9. Bounze Honeycomb Jul 22, 2017

Bounze, Jul 22, 2017 :
    I already thought that they would work considering I could use my Razer kraken 7.1 chroma with an OTG cable on my OPX

10. Krishna.rajiv Cupcake Jul 22, 2017

Tiki_Gofar likes this.
  11. Tiki_Gofar Eclair Jul 22, 2017

no need for converter. just be use USB c headphones. mine I got from hitting Le Eco phone last year. They sound decent

12. zx322a Eclair Jul 22, 2017

zx322a, Jul 22, 2017 :
    ohhhh but i wanna use my own headphones (better sound quality) then using a converter cable...hehehe

13. Tiki_Gofar Eclair Jul 22, 2017

since one plus does not have software to enhance the USB c audio it does not sounds much better. when I had another device that had software enhancement connected to the USB C headphones it was magical. see article to understand what I mean.

14. Tiki_Gofar Eclair Jul 22, 2017

true. good point

15. olivertunes Cupcake Sep 4, 2018

olivertunes, Sep 4, 2018 :
    The most obvious factor working against USB-C headphones which you can find on https://www.audioreputation.com/best-usb-c-headphones/, is that the two biggest smartphone makers don’t need them. Apple’s iPhones might lack a headphone jack but they also don’t have a USB-C port, while Samsung retains the 3.5mm port, so neither the iPhone X nor the latest Galaxy S9 family are in need of USB-C earphones.

16. Johnparkar121 Cupcake Sep 4, 2018

Johnparkar121, Sep 4, 2018 :
    All the I/O is different in the Oneplus models from the other branded phones. The USB comes in a different form including both the charge as well as the headphones. But the USB C can be used which gives a better performance. have already clarified it from Mobile Repair Dubai to know about everything.

17. antoinemenini Cupcake Jan 3, 2019

antoinemenini, Jan 3, 2019 :
    Hello, it seems that not all USB-C headsets are compatible with the OnePlus 5. I recently bought Huawei USB-C headset and I didn't manage to make it work (even by enabling OTG). Do you think USB-C headsets are standards? If not, how can I know which one should be compatible with OnePlus 5?