User-configurable performance throttling via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist

1. Shady_Guy_Jose , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Jul 10, 2021 :
    We've all seen the recent news that Oxygen OS is deliberately allocating apps like Chrome to the A55 cores, in an effort to save battery in apps that supposedly don't need peak performance. And, unlike most people, I think this could actually be a good thing! However, they should give power users the freedom to set core permission profiles for each app. For example: I might not care that Chrome runs on the A55 cores and may prefer the battery consumption reduction. However, I may be noticing that Instagram or WhatsApp has been seeing some unacceptable performance drops and I might want to set those to the A78 cores. Or I might be playing some browser game and I could want to set Chrome to the X1 core temporarily. I just think users should have that freedom.

5l4rtysCell and o-l-a-v like this.
  2. Bhaskar243
    Froyo Jul 10, 2021

3. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jul 10, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Like I feel about it. It would be great if customizable.
    They do however offer "touch boost".
    It raises the processes to the middle cores when it senses touch thus it should not stay on the lowest preforming cores all the time.
    Speedometer test in Chrome gives a different result if "rubbing" the screen during the whole test.

4. 5l4rtysCell
    Froyo Jul 10, 2021

5l4rtysCell , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 10, 2021 :
    Personally, I've not noticed any of the throttling. But, not playing straight with consumers will bite them in the backside sooner or later. It's like they are trying to save some money by not doing enough r&d.
    My 9pro is my first OnePlus device. Did I fall for the hype? Probably. Do I regret my purchase? Hmm, difficult question. Front camera is a little crappy and I feel it was £100 too expensive. So I'm not fully happy. The more negative stories I hear is beginning to make me think that this may well be my only OnePlus buy.

P1599834288827 and CS1989 like this.
  5. Chris1223 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G Metro , Jul 10, 2021 :
    OnePlus has been around for a while and if this is all they have done then it too shall pass. How quickly we have forgotten about the iPhone antenna scandal, the exploding battery on the Note 7, etc. How OnePlus reacts to this incident or how they resolve it will tell more about OnePlus in the long run. I'm sure this will get resolved with a software update. Many users forget that the OnePlus 9 Pro hasn't even been out 6 months. OnePlus has been pushing out updates to fix camera and battery issues and I'm sure this to. If this is your excuse to jump ship then you maybe jumping ship to soon. No phone vender is perfect and hence why a warranty and OTA updates.

5l4rtysCell and Swejuggalo like this.
  6. NavDeep97
    Eclair Jul 10, 2021

7. 5l4rtysCell
    Froyo Jul 10, 2021

5l4rtysCell , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 10, 2021 :
    I didn't say I was jumping ship quite yet. I want to keep my 9 pro. It's just their actions are beginning to leave a somewhat bitter taste. Future purchases will be effected by how I get on with my OnePlus. There's a lot of negative stories kicking around at the moment, seems to be a fair amount of hate in their direction. But as ever, time will tell.

8. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Jul 11, 2021

vsinha717 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 11, 2021 :
    My phone shutters on multitasking. It should not be the case for a phone of this calibre. Also maximum brightness has been lowered. I do not know why i bought this phone.

9. Ruben Swing
    Donut Jul 11, 2021

Ruben Swing , Jul 11, 2021 :
    Yes this too shall pass just wait for the T series to be out and all will be forgotten and forgiven

11. CryptoHackman
    Cupcake Jul 13, 2021

CryptoHackman , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jul 13, 2021 :
    I came to OnePlus and purchased a 9 pro because after years of being a Samsung user I was fed up with being scammed, they deliberately used a different processor (Exynox) in the Ultra Phones having published performance from the Snapdragon which is far superior. Now I find out that OnePlus seem to be doing a similar thing, claiming a performance that is not being provided. Surely there is a trading standards issue here?

12. Shady_Guy_Jose
    Eclair Jul 13, 2021

Shady_Guy_Jose , Jul 13, 2021 :
    That's not really the case at hand here. The phones do perform to the marketed standard, but OnePlus one-sidedly decides that a certain list of supposedly lighter apps don't need that much performance and limits them. We just think users should know about this and be able to override that, even if it's fine as a default setting (which it is, since heavy apps such as games have access to the X1 core by default).

13. Q1631927025450
    Cupcake Sep 18, 2021

Q1631927025450 , Sep 18, 2021 :
    So, did OnePlus ever do anything about this? I was really hyped to switch from Pixel devices to OnePlus, but I've of the most-used apps on my phone is Chrome, and one of my driving factors to get a new phone now is performance of certain other apps.

If Chrome and some other apps are going to simply get throttled, there is basically no reason for me to get a OnePlus 9.

14. vsinha717
    Gingerbread Sep 18, 2021

vsinha717 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Sep 18, 2021 :
    The option will be come with android 12 update. From OnePlus perspective they are trying to do their best in the given scenario. Here's hoping oneplus 10 pro to release with none of these issue.