Using OnePlus One for SIP / VoIP Calls

1. ayap
    Donut Jan 7, 2015

ayap , Jan 7, 2015 :
    I have read so much about using the OPO for SIP or VoIP calls, popularly called Internet Telephony or Internet Calls, but most of the post I have read are just rambling and not really answering the question.

I have enjoyed my OPO with SIP account and it is really serving me a great deal because I am able to make International calls from anywhere via my 3G and WiFi using my Holiday Numbers SIP account.

Though you need to get a SIP/VoIP account from a provider before you proceed with this setup, but that is easy, you can do that from :- https://holidaynumbers.com/

Ones you are registered with a SIP provider and your SIP account is sorted, you can proceed as follows:
    1. Click on the phone icon from your home page as if you want to make a call
    2. Click on the 3 dots at the extreme right bottom and it will display the following in a vertical form;- Import/export, Clear frequents, New contacts, All contact, Settings (but what you want is the last one - SETTINGS)
    3. Click on the Settings (that will take you to Call Settings)
    4. Scroll to the bottom and you will see INTERNET CALL SETTINGS (it is written in capital letters) and below it you will see the parameters that need setting up.
    5. Accounts ;- click on the Account and it will take you to Internet Calling SIP Accounts
    6. Click on ADD ACCOUNT at the bottom
    Insert Username from your SIP provider
    Insert Password from your SIP provider
    Insert Domain or Server Address from your SIP provider (this could be an IP Address like 192.178.1.1)
    7. Save
    8. Reboot your phone and that is all.

When you try to make calls, your phone will ask you
    i) Mobile Phone Call
    ii) Internet Call

You only need to select where you want your calls to go through and accept. The Internet Phone Call is the SIP Account you have just configured.

Please, let me know if this is simple enough and straight forward.

Thanks

2. sh3llshock
    KitKat Jan 7, 2015

lnxpro and carbine30 like this.
  3. carbine30
    Marshmallow Jan 7, 2015

lnxpro and sh3llshock like this.
  4. think
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2015

unity_one likes this.
  5. ayap
    Donut Jan 7, 2015

ayap , Jan 7, 2015 :
    Nothing is wrong, but then you have to download their app.

With this configuration you are not downloading anything. You are using your device with any SIP provider account.

6. ashutosh760
    Gingerbread Jan 7, 2015

7. ayap
    Donut Jan 7, 2015

ayap , Jan 7, 2015 :
    With the above configuration you can have your business phone or any alternative number for any country, from any SIP provider worldwide configured on your device along with your usual mobile number.

It however, does not affect the effectiveness of the phone and this can save you lots of money when you travel or if you make lots of international calls.

8. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

opo_tunity , Jan 7, 2015 :
    The only issues might be quality of service and data caps, as it runs over the data plan and not the voice plan.

9. tony1208
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 7, 2015

10. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Jan 7, 2015

opo_tunity , Jan 7, 2015 :
    People like choice.

I used to have a SIP plan that gave my gf and I a landline number in each of our respective countries, as well a landline number in the country we were in. Great for family and friends as they could call a local number and get diverted to us. Back then we had a SIP gateway hanging off our router, with a regular phone connected to it. This would have been handy.

11. librarygirl
    Cupcake Jun 9, 2015

librarygirl , Jun 9, 2015 :
    Has anyone experienced problems using a SIP account on a OPO? My SIP account keeps periodically disconnecting, but not notifying me. When I check in settings, it displays a message to check the server - which is correct, as are the rest of the details. I re-save the settings, and it magically reconnects.

Have raised tickets with OPO and SIP provider as I'm not sure which end the problem lies - just interested to see if anyone else had the issue?

12. stevephi
    Cupcake Sep 10, 2015

stevephi , Sep 10, 2015 :

Bit late on this, I found this post trying to see if others were having the same problem. Yip also having it, will work for a while then silently disconnect. Only way I seem to get it going again is to go into the settings and make a change, then put the change back and save, then it'll register - but a short while later it's down again. I can't rely on it working so will delete the account and use a VOIP app like Zoiper.

13. shahazadkm
    Cupcake Sep 11, 2015

shahazadkm , Sep 11, 2015 :
    I configured but when I press the call button after dialing, it is not asking anything and the call goes from the gsm provider. Pls help

14. Elmar Klausmeier
    Cupcake Oct 4, 2015

Elmar Klausmeier , Oct 4, 2015 :
    I have the same problem as described by shahazadkm: I can receive calls by SIP but I am not able to initiate calls by SIP. This was possible with Oxygen OS 1.0.0, but seems to be broken in Oxygen OS 1.0.3.

15. Bankoji
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2015

Bankoji , Oct 31, 2015 :
    Hey thanks a lot for that...I've been using sip for years but I didn't know you could program it straight into the telephone. I had always used an extra app like Zoiper, this is more practical; however. Also works on the OPT

16. Bankoji
    Honeycomb Oct 31, 2015

Bankoji , Oct 31, 2015 :
    Rather than dialing choose the contact from the contact list, that seems to work better. I usually get a choice between two sim cards and sip.

17. Nevabackdown
    Jelly Bean Oct 31, 2015

Nevabackdown , Oct 31, 2015 :
    The one and only thing i have always disliked of oneplus is lack of video calling tweak

Never Subtle likes this.
  18. Never Subtle
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 2, 2015

Never Subtle , Nov 2, 2015 :
    The main problem with most VOIP apps like skype etc is that you can't call people who are only using a phone ie most businesses. I use Vonage Extensions which just dials peoples numbers.

19. George+One
    Cupcake Jan 24, 2020

George+One , Jan 24, 2020 :
    If you have the problem of not being prompted whether to call using your simcard or SIP account, under call settings>Use SIP Calling> choose "for all calls" not "Only for SIP calls"

jakubja likes this.
  20. neeleshverma
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2020