Verizon (US) SMS/MMS Issues

1. MScifiWriter
    Cupcake Feb 22, 2021

MScifiWriter , Feb 22, 2021 :
    I bought the OnePlus 8 Pro and received it a week ago. So far, I'm having the same issue not receiving incoming SMS/MMS messages (I can send, just not receive). I tried uninstalling the Carrier Services app and re-started the phone, but that didn't do anything in regard to receiving messages. so I just re-installed the app and still not getting messages on my phone. I also contacted the Verizon Wireless support and indicated about the CDMA-less aspect. But Verizon support, merely tried steering back toward troubleshooting the apps on my phone.

So I'm still trying to figure out how to get the incoming SMS/MMS messaging to work on my phone.

Also I know that my outgoing messages are successfully going out, as I'm able to check my text log on Verizons website.

2. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Feb 23, 2021

Gav_W86 , Feb 23, 2021 :
    When Verizon steered back to phone troubleshooting did they actually confirm the account had CDMA-less enabled?

3. MScifiWriter
    Cupcake Feb 24, 2021

MScifiWriter , Feb 24, 2021 :
    Hey Gav, sorry I didn't respond sooner. But as to your question, no, Verizon didn't confirm that about my account. Though admittedly I was stretched for time when they had tried steering toward troubleshooting, so I ended up just closing the contact with them at that time. So I need to contact them back and try again.

I was really hoping there might be some fix I could find online for this, so I didn't have to bother with their support. But it's seeming as though that may not be the case. So I'll try contacting Verizon in the next day or so. I'd do that right away, but their support hours are pretty much the same as my work shift. So I have to find the right amount of break time to contact them.

4. Gav_W86
    Moderator Moderator Feb 25, 2021

Gav_W86 , Feb 25, 2021 :
    No problem.
    Hopefully you will get through to a good person at Verizon support who doesn't mess you around. The #1 thing to start with will be the CDMA-less. If that is confirmed then there are other things.

The US networks really do appear to be amazingly restrictive compared to most other places. There is one of the others threatening to block phones that they haven't tested and approved by them for HD Voice, whether the phone actually has the feature or not. That sort of behaviour wouldn't be allowed in Europe.

5. Goldbondx
    Eclair Apr 1, 2021

Goldbondx , Apr 1, 2021 :
    I don't know what I hate more. VZ or the OP8 designed for their network. I have had nothing but issues since day 1 for a variety of issues including the non-resolved of not receiving MMS and some cases not receiving on other end. Today, things came to a head when after almost a year I sat down to troubleshoot my network outbound MMS notifications. All the iPhones in the house received the alerts no issue. Me? I got 1 ...2 days ago and none since. The issue seems to be OP8 and/or Android specific. This is crap..

6. Ac3HiLm
    Cupcake Apr 28, 2021

Ac3HiLm , Apr 28, 2021 :
    Saw this on another thread and it worked for me...texts came through immediately and it seems to be working like a normal phone now :)

karlmchorton likes this.
  7. HRSpence
    Cupcake May 11, 2021

HRSpence , May 11, 2021 :
    Even with the Verizon specific OP8 I’ve had issues trying to use Google Messages. RCS does work with it, but getting photos from some contacts that don’t have active RCS gives me the “message expired” issue. Verizon’s Message+ is the stock app on the device and I haven’t had an issue with it, but I’d rather use Google Messages if it wasn’t giving me problems. MMS photos seem to retain more quality with Message+, but I’m not sure why.

8. karlmchorton
    Cupcake Aug 29, 2021

karlmchorton , Aug 29, 2021 :
    On my Oneplus 9 pro running on Verizon 5G I was unable to receive SMS messages.

Everything else was fine.

This took quite a while with Verizon, but eventually the problem was solved by having my SIM profile set to "CDMA less" by Verizon support. The effect was instantaneous - all missing SMS messages suddenly appeared.

lemur likes this.