Very bad experience with customer service

1. Pschroeder89 Cupcake Jul 15, 2019

Pschroeder89, Jul 15, 2019 :
    So I bought two 12GB OP7 Pros in late June for my wife and I. My wife opened hers, messed around with it for a very short amount of time, and decided that it was too large for her hands. We wiped it and put it back in the box. We then went away for a few days and when we got back, I started the return process. Edit: Because people are asking, OnePlus asked me to send the device to Acer's Repair Facility in Texas.

Before shipping the device, I took a few pictures of the device's screen, back, and bezels to cover my *** for shipping insurance, in the event something happened in transit. I shipped the device to Acer's repair facility in Texas. I was sent an email on July 3rd that the device had been received by their facility and that I'd hear back from them within 48 hours after the inspection.

Fast forward to July 15th, today. I realize the money has never been refunded to my credit card, so I get on a OnePlus customer support chat. The rep, Steve Gilbert, lets me know that the device was damaged and that I'll need to pay for the repair. "There are scratches on the microphone and discoloration on the microphone," he said. I explained that that isn't possible, since my wife barely used the device and had it in the case the entire time that she did. I demanded to speak to a supervisor, where I was told that he was not authorized to give me the number of a supervisor, so I'd need to call their support line.

So I called. Before escalating to a supervisor, I decided to see if the phone rep had the same details as the chat rep, and he did. But he was a bit more helpful and said he'd call the Acer facility to determine if this damage happened in their care. So I'm waiting another 24 to 48 hours for that to come back. **The OnePlus way is to apparently blame the customer for all damage, even when they're unsure who or what caused the damage, including their own third party repair facilities.**

In the meantime, the first rep sent me an email with a picture of the damage, and I'm absolutely shocked. The damage is not accidental, it clearly looks deliberate. By whom and why, who knows, but it surely wasn't me as my pictures show that corner clearly, and it isn't scratched at all.

I'll update this post as I get more details from them, but I hope making this public will remind people to cover their asses as much as they can whenever they have to deal with this company. It's truly unfortunate that I've had to deal with this about a phone I love so much, especially since they had no intention of calling me to let me know that they weren't refunding me for the device. As much I enjoy this phone for myself, I can't imagine buying from them again (at least directly, anyway).

If anyone has any additional ways to address this, please let me know.

Here's the picture they provided: https://imgur.com/a/nTcUClu
    Here are the chat logs with Steve: edit by moderator SoniaB

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019

Black Forest, TysonSW and dhawal.d7 like this.
  2. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jul 16, 2019

Stickied Post
    SoniaB, Jul 16, 2019 :
    [UPDATE] @Pschroeder89 CS Escalations team have confirmed that they will approve the refund with regards to your case.

I will keep this thread open until it's completely resolved.

3. Pschroeder89 Cupcake Jul 15, 2019

Pschroeder89, Jul 15, 2019 :
    @SoniaB here are the pictures I took prior to shipping this to the Acer facility. The chat rep already has the second one (of the top), but I thought you guys might want to see the others.edit by moderator SoniaB

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019

4. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jul 15, 2019

SoniaB, Jul 15, 2019 :
    PM me your support ticket number and I will escalate this.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

superplus likes this.
  5. SoniaB Nougat Senior Moderator Jul 15, 2019

SoniaB, Jul 15, 2019 :
    Also, since the links showed your email address, I have removed them from your thread, but have sent them as links in the escalation to CS

superplus likes this.
  6. Muhsin_Sultan Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 16, 2019

Muhsin_Sultan, Jul 16, 2019 :
    Its obvious that the damage was deliberate. try sending the pics before shipping as well

7. Pschroeder89 Cupcake Jul 16, 2019

Pschroeder89, Jul 16, 2019 :
    Thank you so much, @SoniaB!

SoniaB likes this.
  8. theohara Donut Jul 23, 2019

theohara, Jul 23, 2019 :
    OnePlus Customer Service is still the worst one I have ever experienced. I am a supporter since day one (I was amongst the first users to own a OnePlus One) and could understand the poor customer support then, when they were just a start-up, but to this day they have not improved. For the last 6 weeks, I have been trying to trade-in my old OnePlus phone in the OP 7 Pro trade-in program - the phone was evaluated for less than half than my initial evaluation and they refuse to tell me why this is or propose an alternate solution, like covering for the difference in quotations (which is a whopping $40, goes to show how much they value their customers). They have amazing products, but if you value customer support quality (and do not wish to contact them every three days, after they fail to update you on your case, as they always promise they would), stay away from this company.

Pschroeder89 likes this.
  9. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 23, 2019

Horsault, Jul 23, 2019 :
    @theohara, thank you for NOT highjacking a thread for a different subject.
    Trade-in program is partly out-sourced, and those 3-rd party companies are the only responsible for devices quotation.