Vibration on the 5T

1. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 27, 2017

Tevito , Nov 27, 2017 :
    Hi guys! I recently bought my Oneplus 5t. To make sure everything is okay I had a question.

My Oneplus 5t is working very well, I really like it a lot. I only discovered one thing. When using vibration when the speaker is on you hear besides from the normal vibration sound another very little sound. Now this sound is not that bad, and you might not even hear it. But i was wondering if this is a normal sound.

Fot instance when you unlock the phone. When unlocking you hear a little unlock sound. After this sound the speaker will be on for around 1 or 2 seconds. You'll hear almost nothing, but when placing your ear against the speaker you hear a little static sound. This is normal and on ervery phone, and goes away after a couple of seconds. This is because for your speaker to work you''l need some eletricity going trough it. Again, you almost don't hear this and it's very normal.
    When this sound is on and you press for instance the home bottom. The phone will vibrate, if you do this a couple of times fast after unlocking, when the speaker is still on, you''ll hear that little sound I was talking about before. After a couple of seconds, when the speaker is compelety turned off, you don't hear the sound anymore when virbating.

So my conclusion is that it's probably the phone vibrating when the speaker is on, and this (due to how the phone is made) makes a little rosonance with the speaker. Again it's almost no sound and you'll only notice it if you're very carefull. I just wanted to check if my conclusion is right and there is no problem with the phone itself.

In the following video I demonstrate te problem. I will play some music and then let the phone vibrate. From second 2 to 5 you'll hear the 'water drop' sound. The speaker is now still on because it takes some time for the speaker to totaly 'rest' (again this is normal and on every single phone with a speaker). After second 5 the speaker turns totaly off however, and now you'll hear no more water drup sound.

I've also contacted Oneplus Support with the Video. They state that it's a normal sound (the water drop, and going away after speaker is off).

Floris

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

2. RoberTrs
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

RoberTrs , Nov 28, 2017 :
    It is also happening to me and for example when I am quiet in bed it is very annoying to me, to be honest. I really hope they fix that. :(

AnandTailor and asrsmunna like this.
  3. Saksham Sonic
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Saksham Sonic , Nov 28, 2017 :
    That static sound is because of the instrument that the unlock or other sound is of resonates at a certain frequently.. (fast vibrations.. and these notification sounds are nothing but small clip recordings of that instrument.. and the instrument takes a while to go to rest thus creating a static negligible sound

asrsmunna likes this.
  4. martinpvdori
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

martinpvdori , Nov 28, 2017 :
    same here, I've already contacted support and they are going to replace mine. It creates a strange sound (I would describe it like the sound produced by a falling drop of water) when pressing the navigation buttons while listening to music even if the volume is set to 0. It happens also if I activate the tap sound and set the slider to silent mode, or when watching videos on YouTube, but for that one as the video stops when pressing the buttons, the sound stops to happen about 5 seconds after the video stops when pressing for example the Recent button continuously. Another thing is that the vibration even when set to strong is kinda weak, so weak that when I have my phone in my pocket I can't hear if I receive messages or calls. And when I'm outside in the cold I can't feel the keyboard vibration as it is so weak. My previous Nexus 5 has probably a vibration which is ~3 times stronger.

asrsmunna likes this.
  5. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Tevito , Nov 28, 2017 :

I understand that this is normal, only thing is the sound it creates when the phone is vibrating..

I know... But the problem with the little sound is not a easy fix I think. I think it is on every phone because they moved the vibration motor to the bottom of the phone. The fact that you only hear the weird little sound when the speaker is on confirms that it is a vibration resonating with the speaker.. so I think it is due to hardware (but please let me know if you don't have it anymore)

I think many people don't hear it because it's so little sound, it's almost normal.

As for the other problem that you have, this in fact does not sound normal.. my vibration on my phone is very, very strong.. almost to strong. You can however change the intensity of the vibration into settings.

Anyone else who has an opinion on the little sound? I know for a fact that they moved the vibration motor to the bottom. So I'm thinking this is the reason..

6. martinpvdori
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

I don't think that it's normal, I've asked other people on an italian Oneplus group who have the 5t and they don't experience that sound. On my phone it doesn't happen when unlocking but when doing the things listed above. It's very annoying as it happens for every tap/vibration.
    For the vibration intensity, I hope that it's not normal, because it would be a flop if the phone would have such a weak vibration with settings set all to strong like mine.

7. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Tevito , Nov 28, 2017 :

No the vibration intensity is probably not normal indeed. I think that the little sound is normal however.

Try unlocking your phone (With unlock sound on) and tap home button multiple times real quick. You'll hear the sound, but it's stops after like 5 seconds because the speaker is turned off. So it's definitely related to the speaker. In combination with the move off the vibration motor to the buttom it's seems to explain it.

However, I'm interested if there are other things going on. You said you were going to send it back for replair, because of the weak vibration (does indeed not seem normal). What's the procedure for thing? Will you be without your phone for a while?

8. Yogesh_Kurane
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

9. martinpvdori
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

With the unlock sound on it happens too when unlocking, you're right. Yes, it's definitely speaker/vibration motor related.
    I've created a replacement request with details to the problems I'm facing with my device, including a video where the problem of the strange sound is hearable. Tomorrow I'm going to ship it to the center which is in Poland for Europe, then they are gonna inspect the phone and after that they are going to send me a new phone.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

10. barrycorbett
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2017

barrycorbett , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Yes I have this too! I made a thread a while back. I've noticed though it disappears completely when I connect Bluetooth headphones, so it must be a bug.

It's like a water drop sound.

11. martinpvdori
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

12. martinpvdori
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

I think that it disappears when listening to bluetooth headphones because the audio is pushed through them and not to the devices speaker, so it's not a bug but a hardware problem in my opinion.

Tevito likes this.
  13. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Tevito , Nov 28, 2017 :
    I think they will try to fix the vibration motor because it seems not to be working in your phone.if fixing it doesn't work they will replace it, but not straight away I guess.. However, they new phone will probably also have the little sound we're talking about. But pls keep me updated :)

I don't think it's a bug. When having (Bluetooth) headphones, the speaker is turned of. So the vibration motor can't resonate with the speaker. It seems to be design related, as many people have it and it's gone when the speaker is totally off. So I'm guessing we just have to accept it, don't think it's fixable...

14. barrycorbett
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2017

barrycorbett , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Ah yeah that makes sense, I was just thinking of a bug where the vibration signal also activates some kind of audio signal too. The resonance makes more sense, it only makes the noise if you have vibrations happening just after the speaker is activated.

Tevito likes this.
  15. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Tevito , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Yeah..It took be some thinking too haha. Don't think everyone notice it because it's so little. You'll almost think it's a sound that's always there (made me think of the old Samsung water effect when taping the screen).

However, I'm happy more people notice it. That means no real hardware issue is in our phones. Downside is that we'll have to accept the disign change that's making this sound.

16. martinpvdori
    Donut Nov 28, 2017

In my opinion it isn't present in every phone. Otherwise all those who have tested it on youtube would have talked about that thing. and in addition to that people on an italian Fb Oneplus group told me that they don't have that issue.

17. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Tevito , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Don't you think this is because the sound is very, very hard to notice.

I mean once you notice is you'll know, but it took me some time to notice it for myself. You'll actually only hear it when in a very quit room, and using the speaker with something that's a little sound (like unlocking) and the vibration fast after it. I mean when playing music you don't notice it. Besides that, it seems like a 'normal' sound if you don't know better..

The fact that it's only when the speaker is on makes it only stronger possible that's it's because the vibration motor is now located at the bottom of the phone and resonates with the speaker. That's means every phone has it.

Besides all that, don't think it's really a bad sound. Just a bit weird if you're a 'super careful with a new phone' person (like me).

Again please let me know if someone unlocks the phone (with sound) and uses the home button multiple times and doesn't hear a other sound than normal vibration (but listen very carefully, it's very soft).

barrycorbett likes this.
  18. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 29, 2017

barrycorbett likes this.
  19. Tevito
    Gingerbread Nov 29, 2017

Tevito , Nov 29, 2017 :

When carefully listening (headphones) you'll hear it on this review too!

20. J12894
    Gingerbread Nov 29, 2017

J12894 , Nov 29, 2017 :
    When it is happening? 12 minutes video and listen for 1 second beep is quite difficult.

I will get my device tonight will see if there similar issue