[Video] How to remove the rear cover and replace with a baby skin SwapStyle

1. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 18, 2014

K.P. Smith , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Hello -

I imported a baby skin white SwapStyle cover from China. I'll show you how to remove your current back cover on the OnePlus and replace it with the new white one. If you enjoy this video please remember to thumbs up the video on YouTube, share it with your friends, and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Thanks!

EDIT - Grabbed a white OEM OnePlus One sim tray off eBay for $8 (free ship, no tax).

EDIT 2 - I ended up making a video about swapping the NFC antenna (Spoiler alert, it works). You can find that video in THIS THREAD. Feel free to discuss either or both videos in either thread. Whatever works best for you :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

script, phonehog, madmike95 and 28 others like this.
  2. kp1234
    Community Veteran Oct 18, 2014

kilburnjh, Sonywalk, DRCH and 10 others like this.
  3. gusuraman

gusuraman , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Thanks for the review
    As i suspected it miss the NFC, buttons and SIM tray.
    I hope the official replacement SandStone will include all

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

4. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

TakeMyMoney , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Awesome! Did you experience any issues with connectivity? If not, I will follow your lead.

OnePlus claims that this is why they aren't shipping the Silk White, hence my question.

5. vmk2310
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2014

6. blisside
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

blisside , Oct 18, 2014 :
    We got a badass over here

7. vmk2310
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2014

vmk2310 , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Nvm it's in the desc

blisside and K.P. Smith like this.
  8. blisside
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

blisside , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Yes Id love to hear from you too

K.P. Smith likes this.
  9. K.P. Smith

I'm having 0 issues with signal or connectivity. I have 2 OPs in my house and side by side they are exactly the same. I'm not talking trivial "they both have 4 bars". I mean Settings > about phone > status > signal strength. The same.

Also, WiFi is the same.

10. gusuraman

gusuraman , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Can you try also the LTE connectivity?

K.P. Smith likes this.
  11. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

Thank you.

The way you removed the cover also seems a lot better than the official video on it.

Final question: In the video the OnePlus logo is white while on the site it's black? Is it really an original Chinese version or a third party cover?

greendragon and gusuraman like this.
  12. K.P. Smith

It seems legit to me. The logo isn't black but since the case is white plastic the black would just be paint or a sticker. They could apply the buttons and the logo sticker later in the construction and these backs never made it to that point in the process. Unless I got it direct from OP I wouldn't say with any certainty that it's official but if its a knock off it fits the phone perfectly.

firewire2035 likes this.
  13. TakeMyMoney
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

Got it. It looks pretty slick anyway. I am sold and will be buying.

Thanks for this thread and video. Most valuable.

K.P. Smith likes this.
  14. K.P. Smith

This message is posted on LTE, works fine. I also turned off WiFi in my wife's phones (still has sandstone back) and as before the phones have an exact 1:1 match in signal.

Francois0408 and gusuraman like this.
  15. jackill

bestlands and K.P. Smith like this.
  16. IonNuke

IonNuke , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Well the oem covers lack the nfc antenna on the cover from the official unit. Since nfc i rarely use now it would be fine i suppose.

17. deejay01
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

deejay01 , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Good to know. Cat H (admin) mentioned in another thread about the chinese bamboo covers that we would experience signal issues when using on an international OPO. She said the built-in antennas are different, and would cause signal issues. Guess not.

madmike95 and K.P. Smith like this.
  18. K.P. Smith

Maybe those antennas are different? I don't know, sounds kind of fishy. While the radios/modem would be different for TDD and FDD wouldn't the antenna be the same? Either way, my phone using this back is using FDD LTE and is connecting at the exact same bands and signal as my wife's phone that's using the sandstone back ::shrug::

gusuraman likes this.
  19. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Oct 18, 2014

tEf0o , Oct 18, 2014 :
    Yes it works, my pal did it some time ago. I have the remainings...

K.P. Smith likes this.
  20. deejay01
    KitKat Oct 18, 2014

deejay01 , Oct 18, 2014 :
    In case you are curious, this is the thread where she chimed in.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/bamboo-style-swap-cover-and-dock.140094/page-4#post-6272096

I would think the antennas in your white one would be the same as these Chinese bamboo ones. Your white is a Chinese swapstyle. So guessing there really would be no connectivity issues? Keep us posted if you notice anything. You are a good guinea pig too since you have a second OPO to compare.

Edit: And as always, nice video. I have been hesitant to even attempt to remove the back cover, but your method makes it seem like no big deal.

K.P. Smith likes this.