Video recording lenght

?

Shold CyanogenMod change video recording times?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2015.
  1. Yes, they should increase time to max file size 4GB

27.2%
  2. They should make files, to auto brake at 4GB mark and continue to record as regular camera would do

72.8%
  1. kovalski
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2014

gmo8492 and alvalentyn like this.
  2. ufomania
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 29, 2014

LEXXIUS and kovalski like this.
  3. Blu
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2014

gmo8492 likes this.
  4. mashreef
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2014

mashreef , Aug 30, 2014 :
    I get more than that
    as far as i saw!!! whenever i use the flash i get less recording time but when i dont i get more.
    The reason is because of the Heat the camera cant take it to the next level which sucks bad :/

5. aleporta15
    Honeycomb Sep 1, 2014

6. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

7. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

larsu , Sep 5, 2014 :
    I'v heard the same thing!

How many people really records 1-2hrs session without boring the hell out of it. Any of u happen to watch some daily random recordings where people have a smalltalk about old topics etc..

btw..

Phone isnt for professional use, not yet thou! i bet they need some reliable data for how these current devices lasts. Its not cheap to make a phone and run human testings at same time with full warranty without having an impact on bussiness model (if u would have normal retail model, where anyone noob could buy this and return couz it records only 4min etc.. and they would turn up to have warehouse full of used phones which are harder to resell at profitable margin)

Would u better like a phone which burns out in few hours or months for current price, with the option to record 4K as much as u got space..? If all would have phones broken by overheating, there would be no reliable data about which part is the weakest link for next flagship killer at 2015..

Just my humble opinion..

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014

mashreef likes this.
  8. alvalentyn
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

alvalentyn , Sep 5, 2014 :
    I take it you've never heard of Video Editing? It's easier and more efficient to keep recording and often do multiple takes on a single track. No one also said 1-2 hours. You'd hardly use a phone for it. Did you even look at the stupid limitations?

10 minutes at 1080p, and less than 5 at 4K. This means you could easily be in the middle of something and have the camera turn off without knowing. Even if you do know, it turns off, and you miss something. Then have to restart. It's annoying, and doesn't benefit anyone.

I've also never once felt the phone heat up when recording, unlike my old iPhone which got rather warm to the touch. The statement you bolded is simply his experience, unlike the limits which are everyone's.

9. alvalentyn
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

The phone as also been mass produced and used in China for much longer, so your statement on needing data on usage can easily be gathered there. Color OS not only has better image quality, but also doesn't suffer from the same video and image issues. This would indicate that it's inherent to CyanogenMod, meaning it's either a bug, or a very stupid limitation that only serves to negate one of the main selling features of the phone.

10. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

larsu , Sep 5, 2014 :
    Yes, it is stupid limitation i know. I just havent run into it yet, not once in my 96hrs of experience!

I use video editing quite often, not as much as i would like to but i can say that i use it thou. This phone had few properties that i wanted to use. I had this perfect image of the phone, that it would be simply perfect. 60fps, 120fps.. etc, but when i allready had claimed, paid and waited for few days i found out that slow-mo doesent have sound. No big deal, i can live with that. And just 36hrs ago i found out that max recording time is 4-10min.. i can also live with that as my DSLR has better optics, but as it is cheap model, focus and other properties has certain "lag" in executing them.

As it seems that there is software for the phone that does not have same restrictions, my statement may be of the Operating system itself, rather than the hardware.

in past few days i have counterd the dark side of this flagship killer. I was hoping that because it is still in kind of a beta-stage before going gold. Basic functions work very well, but the media experience has always been the weak link of opensource projects.

My phone heats up thou, but never that much that it would feel hot, more like warm.

Today i ran into very annoying bug. While using a flash and shooting video it starts to flash these slices randomly on screen as it would overheat but only with 1080p video. Whole experience has been a downfall from the moment i got the phone.

So, what is the problem with ColorOS then, because i would imagine that people started flashing phones after week or two on cyanogenmod?

btw. is there a place where to report these bugs? Problem i found might be a common one, but cant find on google anything about it.

edit: Yes, i was wrong about overheating to be the limitation of recording -size/time. It just sounded like a good explanation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014

11. alvalentyn
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

The lines appearing on the screen is usually what happens with bad graphics drivers on computers. I and many others have the same issue, at all resolutions.

To report bugs you need to do it here
    https://jira.cyanogenmod.org

You use the device code BACON for the OnePlus one.

When it comes to ColorOS there is no problems camera wise. It is far superior for image and video quality with no limitations.
    The issues is it's an OS mostly used in China, lacks customisability and uses older Android versions, along with not having Google Playstore support from the start.

12. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

larsu , Sep 5, 2014 :
    Auch, that is a no-go then. Drivers has been also weak spot with opensource, hope it wont take 10-20 years to get it usable like it did on linux.

13. LEXXIUS
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

LEXXIUS , Sep 5, 2014 :
    To the limit until the 64 GB are full! :D

14. Haymond
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 5, 2014

Haymond , Sep 5, 2014 :
    more more more... how else are we gonna bootleg those live concerts

15. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 5, 2014

larsu , Sep 5, 2014 :
    Thou, i'v gotta say that using OPO as a phone i am very pleased, videos/stills is a nice bonus for fast action like 1-4s to get ready when baby does something crazy/funny.. i'v tried many times with DSLR and the moment is long gone when i get it up and running. These days i can just pull the phone while running backwards and start shooting while she tries to catch me.. i already got one, really nice and funny moment captured which would have been nearly impossible to get with DSLR as i didnt even have it with me every time.

Earlier i got Samsung Galaxy Xcover as a "Phone" and Nexus 7 (Flo) as "Smart" as they were smart phone together, but with constantly dead battery on Xcover (as wifi-hotspot it had to be charged at least twice a day) my smart -options turned into offline device if no open wifi networks were available..

16. Deciare
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2014

Deciare , Sep 5, 2014 :
    I recently recorded a 2.5 hour family event on a Mi 3. Video files were auto-split at 3.3 GB each, and the stock camera software never required me to intervene in any way to continue recording.

It's possible, and OnePlus's main competitor is already doing it.

17. ufomania
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 6, 2014

ufomania , Sep 6, 2014 :
    Lets hope that our OPO will work the same way,
    Ufo

18. margabro
    Jelly Bean Sep 6, 2014

margabro , Sep 6, 2014 :
    Never recorded so long but if true it sucks... They should for sure improive it...

19. Enojo
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2014

Enojo , Sep 26, 2014 :
    Is it true you only can record 4 mins of DCI 4k? I haven't tried myself yet. And only 10 mins for 1080p? How much GB does 4 min of 4k take up? And 1080p?

20. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 27, 2014

larsu , Sep 27, 2014 :
    yes, 4mins ja 10mins. They all fits under 2Gigs as it might be the maximum size OPO can hold video in ram before camera app needs to dump the data at the 64Gb flash memory insted of ram and this cannot be done, currently thou..?