Video recording lenght

?

Shold CyanogenMod change video recording times?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2015.
  1. Yes, they should increase time to max file size 4GB

27.2%
  2. They should make files, to auto brake at 4GB mark and continue to record as regular camera would do

72.8%
  1. dragospascu
    Jelly Bean Sep 27, 2014

dragospascu , Sep 27, 2014 :
    neh, why not write on card during these 10 minutes? i don't see why, there's no hardware limitation here. in this case they just settled.....for what android does by default, although other manufacturers with a bit of interest found ways to improve it. it's not a question of tem
    i'd like to be able to use the opo to film my daughter's festivities at school, for example....with so many people there's no space to set up tripod and cam.....and they mostly take one hour. the oneplus has enough storage to do that.
    that's for people asking why do we need to film longer than 10 minutes.....and not miss important moments

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

2. larsu
    Gingerbread Sep 27, 2014

larsu , Sep 27, 2014 :
    well, afaik the software is from cyanogenmod not from opo, so they dont really have nothing to do with the software-limitations. i'v heard that ColosOS can record the memory fully in one session..(same hardware, different ROM) (or if there is some licensing limitations, for example my dslr cannot record past 29min becaus they would have to pay the "video-recording" device license.. dont know if same applys here.. first they have to go around the 2gig limitation (dependin on filesystem) .. etc etc.. and i dont know if they are short on developers with video-recording experience or if these devices requires some extra-license to get 4k working and it would raise the price by some X amount.. dont really know, just guessing here what i think i know.. :)

3. Enojo
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2014

Enojo , Sep 27, 2014 :
    Well, I guess we just just continue to encourage people to vote on jira.cyanogenmod.org for these issues.

4. crazynoob
    Eclair Oct 13, 2014

crazynoob , Oct 13, 2014 :
    Die someone find a solution? There has to be a way to continue recording and create a new file when the limit is reached...:confused:

5. Hixxy
    Froyo Oct 20, 2014

LC! likes this.
  6. netr0pa
    Jelly Bean Oct 23, 2014

netr0pa , Oct 23, 2014 :
    Any solutions guys? I want to be able to video record a concert or something like that!

Would suck if the video just stops automaticly at 10 min in the middle of the important part , lol
    @David S. @Carl @Pete @Steven W

Please have a look in this issue, never settle!

7. jkbhso3
    Jelly Bean Dec 7, 2014

8. ADAGIO67
    Honeycomb Dec 17, 2014

ADAGIO67 , Dec 17, 2014 :
    I just discovered this limitation in the most annoying way. I'd set up the camera to record something that won't happen again. Not happy! I've recorded much longer (45 minute) videos on my other android device. If there's a file size limit, OK, keep recording in a new file!

9. ADAGIO67
    Honeycomb Dec 17, 2014

ADAGIO67 , Dec 17, 2014 :
    I thought I'd download some alternative apps from the play store. First one went past the 10 minute mark without a problem and showed no signs of stopping automatically when I stopped it at just under 13 minutes. I can confirm that I the recording was at the Max level 1920x1080. I'm now testing the standard android camera app. I'll leave this one running longer, but it does appear that bypassing the 10 minute restriction in the standard Cyanogenmod camera app is a fairly simple matter (which must beg the question of WTF is the restriction doing there in the first place!)

UPDATE the Google camera app went for 26:56 mins and I suspect it only stopped because the camera reached 20% charge and went into a power saving mode

Second update. With a full charge the Google camera app again stopped recording at 26:56. Perhaps that's where the file size limit kicks in? It also makes an alert noise. Both substantially better than ten minutes and no warning (that I noticed anyway)

Just tested the default app at a lower res (as the Google camera app has an annoying issue of constantly refocussing) but it still cuts out at ten minutes.

Final update, I've tried Open Camera which is a great app with loads of features. Still cuts out at 26:56 though At 1920x1080. Just tested 1280x720 and it stopped at 38:25. The phone was pretty warm.

FINAL FINAL UPDATE ;) Open Camera has an option to set a recording limit at below the auto cut out and then start a new recording. In theory I can record 4 hours 10 minutes at 1920x1080 (25 min limit and 10 restarts)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

ankur321thy and Encho like this.
  10. larsu
    Gingerbread Dec 24, 2014

larsu , Dec 24, 2014 :
    th
    Thanks for the update :)

Downloaded & installed Open Camera, thou i'd like a little better GUI and 4k UHD doesent seem to work with opo, at least not with mahdi rom.. anyone got it working? (even thou i never have needed to record more than what CM camera is set at.. but it is good to have a device/phone for every situation, you never know..

11. ExpatZ
    Jelly Bean Dec 24, 2014

ExpatZ , Dec 24, 2014 :
    Been using Cinema FV-5, I get 18 minutes to 3.8Gb @1080p then it starts a new file.

I ran it pointed at a timer and can confirm the new file is seamless with the old file so no worries about syncing them up later.

No 4k video option though, but I'm still trying to figure out the point of wasting storage like that with display tech being what it is these days.

0verlord and Encho like this.
  12. larsu
    Gingerbread Dec 25, 2014

larsu , Dec 25, 2014 :
    With 4k u can shoot a video and crop it later if u want to cut scenery/people off the screen and still have full-hd output, havent really have the cpu cycles to edit 'em properly, but the most important ones i know i have for later and when my daughter whatches these christmas videos 20yrs later, she's gonne be amazedd about the quality :)

ExpatZ and Encho like this.
  13. ADAGIO67
    Honeycomb Dec 28, 2014

ADAGIO67 , Dec 28, 2014 :
    The cyanogen mod app is the only one that seems to stop the camera constantly refocussing, so they still need to fix this time limit

14. worldlearner
    Cupcake Feb 6, 2015

worldlearner , Feb 6, 2015 :
    I just started using a new (to me) app from Google Play called Cinema FV-5. It DOES allow video up to 8 hours. It also allows the videographer to manually control many more parameters, or at least do that more easily. Free for most functions; paid $2.50 US, for the pro version. Haven't used it long, but it definitely beats the time limit. Spy apps do this as well, but they don't show the screen. This app allows full screen viewing while recording!

kimmjarv, ADAGIO67 and Encho like this.
  15. Encho
    Honeycomb Feb 6, 2015

16. ADAGIO67
    Honeycomb Feb 6, 2015

ADAGIO67 , Feb 6, 2015 :
    Does the camera constantly refocus, as anything but the default app seems to?

17. ElectricPulze
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2015

ElectricPulze , Mar 6, 2015 :
    And then make a script for cloudstorage (like dropbox) to upload the saved file and then remove it from the unit, unlimited recording (if internet and power is provided :D)

partlyawesome likes this.
  18. AAB4K
    Jelly Bean Mar 6, 2015

19. Piter
    Donut Mar 31, 2015

Piter , Mar 31, 2015 :
    Well, lets hope the Oxygen OS will spare this huge problem, for more demanding users

20. larsu
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2015

larsu , Apr 9, 2015 :
    this ColorOS camera app (ported for oneplus cm11s) has 24hrs+ recording at any resolution (except 4k DCI, only 4K UHD is supported)

ADAGIO67 likes this.