Video recording without side bars

1. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 20, 2020

tuanv1966 , Feb 20, 2020 :
    I know this has been brought up but I still have not seen a definitive answer.

So when I take a picture in landscape mode, there are no black bars. THe picture stretches from corner to corner and I love it. No other phone has that feature.

So why can't it be like that with video? I understand that the phone is technically 21:9 rather than 16:9 format. But if it's 21:9 with PIC, why can't it be the same with videos?

Now when viewing YouTube videos, I can at least zoom to fill in so the black bars goes away. But I can't zoom with recording on the phone. Why?

Melkuse Daniel likes this.
  2. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 21, 2020 :
    Bro, if you stretch the video while recording this will make the video bit shaky, to avoid that the eis need this aspect ratio to record the video in more stable way.

As you mentioned that you can zoom in the video in youtube the same can be done here once you record the video, while playing the video you can do the same as you do in youtube.

But know that, some part of the video will be cut to make it full view...

otto2 likes this.
  3. Kryxus
    Eclair Feb 21, 2020

Kryxus , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 21, 2020 :
    The one plus camera application is basic, it does not have all the functions that other phones can have, you just cannot, the extension of the video on YouTube is very good if you see it to another when you see the time and the video information you lose you do not like, there are few channels that I still record in panoramic format is a delight those videos taking advantage of the entire screen without losing information but for that the video must be recorded panoramicly.

4. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 24, 2020

tuanv1966 , Feb 24, 2020 :
    I cannot 'stretch' the video while recording. If I try to to do so, the camera just zooms in. But it doesn't fill in the whole screen. The black bars are still there. Anything I record will have black bars on the side, which I absolutely hate. Pictures? No black bars.

5. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Bro, you can't strech the video while recording, but once you recorded it then you can play the recorded video just like the YouTube video.

Even after recorded, the video will be in same aspect as you record but to make it as full view you can stretch it like you do it on YouTube, but some portion of the video will be cut to make it to full screen...

6. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

tuanv1966 , Feb 25, 2020 :
    uhhhhh...BRO....once you record, you CANNOT zoom and stretch, like you can on YouTube. That's the whole purpose of my post. If you record (in landscape mode) you have the black bars WHILE you're recording and will see the black bars when you're viewing. You cannot zoom and fill the whole screen.

7. script
    Nougat Moderator Feb 25, 2020

otto2 and Bouncer71 like this.
  8. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

God almighty..you ask a simple question and you just never get a straight answer. I know it's 16:9. I even said in my original post it was 16:9. Yes. I understand that. But why is my picture in 'ultra wide' mode so there are no black bars? Because of the camera lens perhaps? So why couldn't they do that to the video lens? They don't make them that way? Why can't you 'widen' the lens so that it can shoot a video that makes full use of the 21:9 screen? That's all I'm askin'.

9. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Feb 25, 2020

KeepTransisting , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Because they didn't want to do that. That's really the only reason. They wanted video filmed in the normal 16:9 and that's it. You can always look at other video recording software that might do what you want.

10. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Bro but I can zoom in the video while playing it, it works in my device...

11. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Bro have a look at my screenshot of the video that I took using my device...

1582659239326.jpg

1582659239416.jpg
    The first screenshot has black bars as you mentioned before playing the video, but the second screenshot is zoomed in to get the full view...

12. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

OK. Two things. First off, I'm not sure what you're doing, but I cannot. I have shot hundreds of videos on my phone since I got it last April. I cannot zoom in on videos that I shot to get a full screen. There's no settings that will allow me to 'blow up' the video shot like I can with YouTube videos.

Secondly, look at the two pictures you display here. The first one is accurate. It has the black bars. That appears to be a video simply because of the "Play" button. The 2nd picture doesn't have that "Play" option. So to me, it looks like you took a full picture here. If it's a video, then where's the "Play" option in the middle of the screen?

13. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Bro, the second image is just not an image or photo it is the same video of the first screenshot...

The first image was taken before playing the video (kept ready to play it) the second screenshot was taken while playing the video.

You can only zoom in while playing the video not before playing it...

So, no video will show play video while playing it that's why the second image has no play icon over it...

14. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

...and again...I'm saying that I have no way of doing that. The only way to prove to me that I have no idea what I'm doing is to have another user chime in. Take a video in landscape mode with black bars on the side, then replay the video and be able to use pinch/zoom to make the video full screen. I cannot do it. You say you can. What do others say?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020

15. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Yes bro, it works for me and I really don't know why it doesn't work for you, well let's see what other users experience on their devices...

16. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

OK. Well I can't explain this either. On Monday, I recorded two clips of my daughter skating. This is last night. I CANNOT expand out to lose the black bars. However, when I shoot a video this minute, I am able to . I go back to all the videos I've shot with this video. I cannot zoom out. But if I shoot a video right now, I'm able to do that.

Please explain because I'm dumbfounded.

17. Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Feb 25, 2020 :
    I really don't know why it is happening in this way, if you can zoom in newly recorded video than it supposed to work on other older recorded video, but little weird to hear that it doesn't, because being a same device your device should play all the videos zoomed in (including older videos) as my device does it....

18. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Feb 25, 2020

otto2 and script like this.
  19. script
    Nougat Moderator Feb 26, 2020

script , Feb 26, 2020 :
    OMG, I didn't know that. I usually don't use the stock gallery for video playback....

Anyway, interesting, but I still won't use it, as it is not the real aspect ratio. 16/9 rules.

otto2 and Bouncer71 like this.
  20. tuanv1966
    Froyo Feb 26, 2020

tuanv1966 , Feb 26, 2020 :
    Double tapping on the video does nothing for me. I'm wondering if it's a setting somewhere that I'm not enabling.

Update: Double tapping DOES work in Gallery. It just doesn't on Google Photos, which I am using.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020