[Video] Review Diztronic Ultra and comparison to original Diztronic

1. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2014

K.P. Smith , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Hey Everyone -

Have you seen that video where i check out the Diztronic Ultra, then compare it to the original Diztronic? No of course you haven't because I'm just posting the video now! Enjoy and make sure you make it all the way to the end of the video ;)

If you like my videos please be sure to thumbs up the video on YouTube and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

Link to Amazon listing of the case.

EDIT - The TPU used on the sides and back of the Ultra are 1.9mm thick. The original/standard is 1.4mm thick.

Someone on G+ asked me about added weight, the Ultra is 34.42 grams. The original/standard is 28.52 grams.

Thanks to an eagle-eyed YouTuber who pointed out a slight difference in the camera openings. Photos attached.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

Kenny_B, pushkaljn, Reus and 12 others like this.
  2. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Nov 22, 2014

ChrisTerp , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Viewing it now. Thanks.

EDIT: Nice ending and welcome to the married world. Wait until the "honey do" lists start piling up. Ha ha ha. It's all good!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

vidmarr and K.P. Smith like this.
  3. rafael25
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  4. Comet

K.P. Smith likes this.
  5. slowhand
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2014

slowhand , Nov 22, 2014 :
    I also recently posted a thread w/ pics comparing my older original Diztronic with the new Ultra. In addition to the corners, I found that the lip around the edge of the screen to be slightly higher and thicker. It appears to afford more protection where it counts without significant extra bulk.

Methanoid likes this.
  6. Iseek1
    KitKat Nov 22, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  7. K.P. Smith

mine is definitely not higher around the screen. As far as the eyeball can tell they are both pretty much right on 1.80/90mm (give or take a couple mm for "eyeball")

Place the phone in the case, turn off the screen (for lighting reasons) and lay a nickle on the screen pressed into a corner. That nickle is 1.95mm thick. Look across the screen flat and see how much of the nickle is visible above the edge. Do that in both cases. As far as my eye can tell they are spot on.

8. K.P. Smith

yeah i get it, it's certainly not for everyone. I personally don't need the extra protection so I'd opt for the slimmer original style but having options is an awesome thing. Once upon a time there we're literally no options in terms of cases.

Iseek1 likes this.
  9. Iseek1
    KitKat Nov 22, 2014

Iseek1 , Nov 22, 2014 :
    for serious protect, I just ordered the JKase DIABLO Tough Rugged Dual Layer Protection Case Cover with Build in Stand, have you done a review on it yet ?

K.P. Smith likes this.
  10. K.P. Smith

Iseek1 likes this.
  11. Iseek1
    KitKat Nov 22, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  12. CreatorZ

K.P. Smith likes this.
  13. J.Pinkman
    Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  14. Methanoid
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2014

Methanoid , Nov 22, 2014 :
    useful to ppl from the USA while the rest of the world grits their teeth with envy/rage.

15. K.P. Smith

Man that's gotta be frustrating!!! how have we not solved that problem yet? Is there nobody on these forums that has some tie with an import export business? I know this is small peanuts to a business but it would be doing the community a solid.

16. Methanoid
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2014

Methanoid , Nov 22, 2014 :
    only other place you can get them is india and i dont think think they ship to where i am either and they only have them as the company selling them have ofc imported them from the usa, till they somehow end up shipping elsewhere it seems were stuffed for now which is a shame it "looks" pretty solid at least in the video clips ive watched.

K.P. Smith likes this.
  17. david795
    Eclair Nov 23, 2014

david795 , Nov 23, 2014 :
    Out of all the cases you have reviewed which case is your favourite, K.P? And which would you say offers the most protection?

18. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 23, 2014

K.P. Smith , Nov 23, 2014 :
    The most protection I'd say would be the JKase Diablo. It also adds extra functionality (kickstand) so if I was looking for the case that's going to give me the most protection I'd go JKase Diablo + tempered glass screen protector.

I work in an office (or from home) so I don't need a lot of protection. For me TPU cases and dual layer cases are a bit much. My favorite case for the OnePlus is the Nilkin frosted PC case. I've got it in brown and red and they are what's on my phone 99% of the time.

Cheers!

19. djpantazis
    Cupcake Nov 24, 2014

djpantazis , Nov 24, 2014 :
    I have both cases. I don't really like either of them.

The Ultra matt fits well. The plastic material though feels like cheap kids bath toy plastic. It's harder rather than softer.

The JK is mostly made of the same plastic. The kickstand is really flimsy and hard to open. The one on my Motorola Bionic was much better thought out and functional.

For me, the Ultra is OK. More like not evil but uninspired.

20. Seryozka
    Donut Nov 29, 2014

Seryozka , Nov 29, 2014 :
    Here the comparison of color - Standard Black vs Ultra Grey
    IMG_20141129_094234.jpg