[Video] TPU case shootout for the OnePlus One

1. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 16, 2014

K.P. Smith , Aug 16, 2014 :
    Hey Everyone-

Hope you all have been enjoying the videos. I had mentioned in a video I was considering doing a TPU case shootout and you all let me know you were really interested in that so here you go!

For additional OnePlus and technology videos, check out my YouTube channel. Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

2. martinkindl83
    Donut Aug 16, 2014

martinkindl83 , Aug 16, 2014 :
    Hi KP.
    Would you recommend tpu over flip case?
    I was always using silicone cases and i was very satisfied.
    Now im thinking about the TPU or flip case, but im not sure, if you will not get some scratches on the sides from hard plastic on flip case?

Im going to use screen protector, i was always using bodyguardz screen film, but they dont make OnePlus one. I will have to find something different.

3. K.P. Smith
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 16, 2014

K.P. Smith , Aug 16, 2014 :
    Hello -

I feel like this is a loaded question so I'll qualify my answer before giving it :D

I hate flip cases. I've been making an effort to take better, more meaningful photos with my cell phone. Anyone who takes photos with their cell phone will tell you flip covers suck. You have to have the cover open (so you can see the screen), but can't have it all the way open cause you'll block the lens, so you gotta remember to have the cover hanging downward .... you get the point.

So my answer is I would personally go with a TPU case. But understanding why I say that, maybe those things i listed above don't bother you at all.

Hope that helps!

sanikajain, Reinhold and yaltis like this.
  4. deejay01
    KitKat Aug 16, 2014

Magic_Man12 and K.P. Smith like this.
  5. Ashis
    Froyo Aug 16, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  6. drps
    Gingerbread Aug 16, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  7. yaltis
    Jelly Bean Aug 16, 2014

yaltis , Aug 16, 2014 :
    You forgot to wear them on opo!its like you have a naked supermodel ,and you show us just the pantyhose s . Please dude dont be misogynist,

K.P. Smith likes this.
  8. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Aug 16, 2014

ChrisTerp , Aug 16, 2014 :
    Thanks KP for the video. I ended up purchasing the Tudia one earlier this week and waiting on delivery now. The Blackout one looks really good and I was leaning towards that except I really couldn't tell if it was a hard case or TPU when viewing on Amazon (sorry, it's tough to believe what is written sometimes by sellers). Now that I see the Blackout is TPU I'll give that a run later; hope they make other colors for variety as black is not my first choice.

I am with you on Cruzerlite - love the Bugdroid circuitry design and the colors! Really wanted the orange but all the reviews stated buttons are hard to use with Cruzerlite. Even thought of buying and just cutting out button holes with an Exacto knife.

EDIT: My Tudia clear case came in today. Fits very well, buttons work (too bad Cruzerlite - I would of purchased you but you gotta have button functionality if you cover them), case feels very good in my hands and there's a sense of ease now that the device has some protection. Giving it a test run over the next few days.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  9. shadowX159
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 17, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  10. aaroncheung
    Eclair Aug 17, 2014

aaroncheung , Aug 17, 2014 :
    Nice review. You have sold me one the black out if I were picking between those 4 as well.

K.P. Smith likes this.
  11. Skf123
    Marshmallow Aug 17, 2014

Skf123 , Aug 17, 2014 :
    Enjoyed the comparison thank you.

The boxwave sounds like the most suitable for my needs but i just checked Amazon and it's pretty expensive here in the UK £11.98 (around $20). This is what i have now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360965245307?redirect=mobile the sides are smooth and sticky and the back is matt textured, would it be worth buying the boxwave if i already have this case?

K.P. Smith likes this.
  12. K.P. Smith

K.P. Smith , Aug 17, 2014 :
    I'm unaware of a TPU bumper for the OnePlus right now. If you happen to stumble across one from a reputable vendor let me know and I'll order and review it.

13. K.P. Smith

Challenge accepted!! Lol
    If I get some free time I'll have a go at cutting up a cruzerlite case and see how possible it is.

ChrisTerp likes this.
  14. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Aug 17, 2014

ChrisTerp , Aug 17, 2014 :
    Wow! Didn't expect that response. Please let me know how it works and I'll follow your lead. Thanks again for the video showing and discussing TPU cases.

K.P. Smith likes this.
  15. K.P. Smith

That case looks pretty much like a 1 for 1 match to the blackout. There's a very high chance they are made by the same Chinese company who pops them out un-branded and sells them in bulk quantity to distributors like the one you listed or to BoxWave.

If you like what you have then that's all that matters.

Might as well. I have 2 of them and my fiancée hates the power button so much she's sworn off the pink cruzerlite. Maybe if I can fix it then the case comes back into play. If I do it I'll film and share.

16. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Aug 17, 2014

Might as well. I have 2 of them and my fiancée hates the power button so much she's sworn off the pink cruzerlite. Maybe if I can fix it then the case comes back into play. If I do it I'll film and share.[/QUOTE]

I'll look forward to your success. Fingers crossed :)

K.P. Smith likes this.
  17. aaroncheung
    Eclair Aug 17, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.
  18. K.P. Smith

I'm done. Unfortunately theres something we hadn't thought of beforehand but I'll get to that.

The port was actually harder to cut open than i anticipated, even with a fresh blade, but I was able to make it. I think the cut turned out pretty well. If this had worked out I'd probably take a straightened paper clip, heat it up, and see if i could smooth out the cut to make it a little more "OEM" looking.

I hadn't noticed is on the blackout they actually taper down the TPU thickness on the bottom of the button cutout (towards the back of the case) to allow your finger to easily hit the button. So even though theres a cutout now on the cruzerlite for the power button, it's incredibly hard to hit because the button is recessed down into the case with only a little slit to press it.

I hope this makes sense. Moral of the story, using an exato knife on the cruzerlite case isn't going to fix the difficulty pressing the power button.
    [​IMG]

19. ChrisTerp
    Lollipop Aug 17, 2014

Urghh, apologize for floating that idea in your thread. Maybe punching it w/wider blade instead of cutting would have been better than a cutting motion?; no need to try again unless you still wish to fiddle w/it. Noticed you used the pink one to test this out - guess the Mrs. won't mind, ha ha ha.

Yes, I understand what you're saying about the taper.

Hopefully Cruzerlite will wake up and either fix their buttons or cut them out. I do really like this case / design and it's a shame it's not fully functional.

K.P. Smith likes this.
  20. slava 1982
    Gingerbread Aug 17, 2014

K.P. Smith likes this.