Videography Commitments from Open Ears Forum | New York

1. Zake Z.
    Image Product Manager Staff Member Jan 24, 2020

Zake Z. , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Prancheta 4.png

Hey everyone,

As mentioned in our OEF Recap thread, our camera team digested all the invaluable feedback from the NY OEF attendees in a two-day workshop. Now, we are ready to share our findings and replies to all the questions raised during the Forum held in December, as well as our commitments for the future.

Highlighted in Bold are the challenges that the invited videographers raised and below are our replies to it.
    • Exposure / color / white balance shift and consistency across all cameras
      Tuning all the cameras to have the identical exposure, white balance is our first priority and main goal.
    • Auto focus consistency
      We weren’t be able to reproduce the issue reported by the OEF attendees in our lab, but an upgrade both on hardware and software for auto focus will come in 2020.
    • Skin tone consistency
      Skin tone improvement is one of our top priorities. It will improve via future system updates.
    • Sharpness: Sharpness needs improvement across all scenarios
      We are trying to find the new balance between sharpness and noise.
    • Super stabilization: Support for 4K recording; Reducing noise and improving low light quality.
      There are hardware limitations, but 4K super stabilization will be supported in some of our future devices.
    • Dynamic range: Subject is lit but background is too dark
      We have been working on video HDR, which will solve these dynamic range problems.
    • Light flickering
      We’ve heard a lot of feedback about this, and we are working on de-flickering solutions to reduce this issue.
    • Panning shots are not smooth: Improve panning shots stabilization and smoothness
      So far, we weren’t be able to reproduce this issue in our lab, but smoothness and video are part of our key improvement points for 2020.
    • Faster camera
      Again, this is one of our main goals in 2020. Faster shutter requires updates from system, application, as well as the animation. It will constantly be improved via future updates.
    • Lens feature-parity: 1080P and 4K should be supported in all three lenses, allowing to switch between lenses while recording
      This is due to a hardware limitation in current devices, but we’re exploring ways to make it possible for future devices.
    • Limited 4K record length
      Having considered overall performance and temperature, we will not change current limit, but will keep working on optimizing this in the future.
    • Single handed use: Difficult to reach the top bar for features; Single hand zooming
      This is very important feedback for us, and we’ve already been discussing solutions with the design team.
    • Video editing
      We plan on completely updating our Gallery app’s video tools, so many of the features requested during the OEF will be supported. For color grading or LUT options, we will have news soon.
    • Pro video mode
      Pro video mode will be put into backlog, since our high priority is improving default video quality and use experience across the board.
    • Depth of field for tele camera recording (optical)
      We have already been researching and working on this feature, and the current quality has not reached our standard to release.
    • Zoom-in time-lapse
      We have some similar ideas for time-lapse as well, they are already in future product plan.
    • Reverse recording video
      Less frequent user scenario, so we’ve put into backlog. Our main focus in video is basic quality and user experience for all users.
    • Night mode for night video
      This is something we believe to be very interesting, we have already been researching and working on it.
    • AR emoji and stickers recording
      We still haven’t found a killer scenario for AR in video. There are some third-party apps that already offer interesting sticker features, so this isn’t a big priority for now.
    • Social media mode: Directly to twitter, crop ratio for Instagram, etc.
      We believe the image quality in third-party apps is of high importance and has a higher priority. We have been working on this, these features are planned after image quality improvement.
    • Light painting mode
      We decide not to follow on light painting effect due to a narrow user scenario.
    • 2 cameras recording at the same time: Wide and ultra-wide; rear and front
      This is already supported by current platform and cameras, but we are looking for user scene to fully take advantage of this feature.
    We hope these commitments are in line with your expectations for videography, and hopefully they will address some pain points you might have. As always, feel free to share your feedback and ideas.

Never Settle.

2. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2020

3. rarog
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2020

rarog , Jan 24, 2020 :
    That's a really interesting outlook. I'm looking forward into developments of stabilisation and equal calibration of all cameras, as this is a quite important goal IMHO. Video edition and Pro mode are also features I'm looking forward to be able to try.

As with 2 cameras recording at the same time - it's an interesting feature, but you would need it perhaps only to record some kind of stereoscopic video or to be able to edit from 2 streams at the same time with same sound source, so one camera could record the whole room while the other would be zoomed in into a face. But the usage scenario is quite rare and properly handling this could also be quite an effort.

4. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2020

luxuskamel , Jan 24, 2020 :
    In another thread @Kevin Tao said that the camera takes longer than 0.7s to open. I know its not directly video recording but can you cut the time down? It seems pretty long to me @Zake Z.

5. Ziertus
    Froyo Jan 24, 2020

Ziertus , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Great, can't wait to see these qol features implemented for 2020. I'm hyped for the single hand use, I can think of so many times when I wished I didn't need two hands to zoom.

6. Some_Random_Username
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2020

Some_Random_Username , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Could you please give details on how it will be implemented? I don't feel like we need anything more than Android share button (which for reference allow you to pin applications at its top so that they stay easily available).

7. lukas.dvorok
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2020

lukas.dvorok , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Great news indeed. :) Now that we need is public roadmap when these improvements and features will be delivered, to which devices, in which order/priority. Without such roadmap and real time/date commitment from 1+ this is just a nice talk, nothing more.

bobsta, Shrrey, jlasensiofi and 6 others like this.
  8. script
    Nougat Moderator Jan 24, 2020

script , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Thank you to all involved, members of the OEF, and all members of the camera team. Of course I am happy to hear about improvements, looking very much forward to that. I have recorded many videos with the phones in the past, and am really interested in a good video recording quality. In fact, it's the main reason why I started my personal OnePlus adventure, haha.

Let's video....

Script

9. YRJ
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2020

YRJ , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Wow! These are some great points to work on. I can say that this edition of OEF had been a very successful one. Thanks to everyone that gave their valuable inputs to make this edition successful.
    Let's make the camera great together :cool:

Now you can truly say, Never Settle!

10. karthik yadawad
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2020

karthik yadawad , via OnePlus 5 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    All of these features will take mobile videography a step ahead.
    Excited to test these features!! Can't wait long, hope team will work on these features for implementation. Thanks for update @Zake Z.

Helder_DAlmeida and G_plusone like this.
  11. Vansh99
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2020

Vansh99 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Looking forward to these 2020 updates! Hopefully all these features (unless limited by hardware) gets ported back to at least up to 6/6t.

Ha @wissou why are majority of the points from your suggestions :p

12. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jan 24, 2020

Starcommander , Jan 24, 2020 :
    As a youtuber who relies on his oneplus to shoot videos, these upcoming fixes or features are like a gift from God

13. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jan 24, 2020

G_plusone , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Would like to see these aspects getting better.
    Especially Pro Video Mode Lens selection ;)

14. D1t2e4k
    Eclair Jan 24, 2020

15. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Jan 24, 2020

Venky61 , Jan 24, 2020 :
    This is really good news.... Kudos to all the users for their feedback.
    Dynamic range and Stabilization are the two areas am very much interested. I am using a phone less than half the price of OnePlus 6T and find the video recording better. Only because of this reason, I had to make it my primary phone.
    Hopefully the updates would improve the experience.

16. Helder_DAlmeida
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 24, 2020

17. woSch
    Photography Expert Jan 24, 2020

woSch , Jan 24, 2020 :
    Great news... and a big thank you to all OEF participants for all the ideas :)

For me especially
    • White balance
    • Pro (Video)Mode (enhancement)
    • Lens selection (not only for video ;))

18. Y1537540350852
    Gingerbread Jan 24, 2020

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020

Chuvachok and DEVGHOST10 like this.
  19. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 24, 2020

20. suhantm
    Honeycomb Jan 24, 2020

suhantm , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 24, 2020 :
    These commitments have gotten me excited! Excited for what makes it to the 7 Pro and the future devices I get. I truly think one of the only thing OnePlus needs to do to stay on par with competitors is improve all things camera related!

thankiakash7 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.