View Flip Case!?!?!?

1. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2014

jbudness , Aug 23, 2014 :
    So I ordered my wife a flip case(Nillkin Brand) with the viewing window.. Absolutely fits amazing and feels like a very solid case!! We only paid $8.39 USD also! I do have a question not sure if it has been brought up in the forums as of now or not.. The viewing window does not act like the SView from phones like GS4/5.. Does anyone know if there is something that needs to be activated to enable this feature or is it just not able to do this as of the 11.0-XNPH33R build.. Here are some photos of the mentioned case.. Thanks for your help in advance!

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ethanchim10 and tweazle like this.
  2. DRCH
    Marshmallow Aug 23, 2014

3. kazumoff
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2014

4. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Aug 23, 2014

5. ZPPS
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2014

ZPPS , Aug 23, 2014 :
    Maybe in the future there will be a feature that will use the screen where the hole is, but for now you'll have to wait I think :p

6. pigmeej
    Community Veteran Aug 23, 2014

pigmeej , Aug 23, 2014 :
    It's not official accessory so I highly doubt that there's any other use for it than checking your time on stock lockscreen.

7. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 23, 2014

jbudness , Aug 23, 2014 :
    No it does not.. :(

8. jark
    Eclair Aug 23, 2014

jark , Aug 23, 2014 :
    Not a huge fan of flip cases, but this one isn't too shabby

Axara likes this.
  9. tweazle
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2014

tweazle , Aug 24, 2014 :
    I am all about the flip covers. eBay has such a wide selection of flips for the Galaxy S3 I became a permanent convert at a couple bucks each I bought more than 10 over the lifetime of that phone.

A couple observations about this case, please tell me if I am wrong. This is one of the cases I have considered purchasing.

This Flip's interior material that touches the glass looks to be a plastic material similar to the outside the case. I would imagine that it offers no benefit to keeping the screen clean. The flips I have used in the past have a "micro fiber" type material on the interior that keeps the screen spotless. A BIG bonus each time you open the phone the screen looks pristine.

Currently I am using a Flip on my OnePlus that is made by some no name clone company. It's available on eBay for $6. It is called a "drizzle scratch" I won't be keeping that cover for too long since the interior has a suction cup that prevents the "micro fiber" material from doing a good job at screen clearing. I will likely add it to the non-recommended list for this, and a few other reasons but I wanted to discuss the Nillkin's flap and find out what the material is and if it does a good job of screen clearing.

Just looked at the photo again and it appears there is no window material in the S-View section of the flap. Seriously, is that correct, or just the way it looks in the photo ?

The big draw to the Nillkin case in my eyes is that it appears it must be thinner than other flips since the flap material does not wrap around the backside of the phone. I think if I can find a Nillkin case without the window I may opt for that, but again it comes down to the screen clearing issue.

The best part of this is that we have a few to choose from they are cheap for the most part and not everyone has the same needs so one that suits me might not be good for you.

Cheers and thanks for your review.

Axara and jbudness like this.
  10. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2014

jbudness , Aug 24, 2014 :
    To answer your questions..

I would not suggest this case for you... It does nothing to help keep the screen clean, and if you don't have some kind of screen protection I could actually see it possibly scratching the screen.. The window itself is just as it appears, a cut out with no material between.

I'm actually interested in looking into the flips some more, because this is only the second flip case I have ever owned and neither of them have had the microfiber on the inside that you speak of.. Thank you for your reply..

tweazle likes this.
  11. rads2312
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2014

jbudness likes this.
  12. mingtrinh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 24, 2014

mingtrinh , Aug 24, 2014 :
    i checked this case and discounted it, there are better case out there. these flip cases without the magnet clip to hold the flap in place is not very good at protecting the screen

13. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2014

Thanks for that...Hopefully they will add that in CM sometime..

14. paztine
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 24, 2014

15. tweazle
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2014

tweazle , Aug 24, 2014 :
    Thank you for your honesty. Yes I am looking for that perfect flip cover as well. I've ordered a few to try but yet to receive them. I am also considering a more premium flip like this one on Ali express www.ali express.com/item/-/1966716105.html You need to take the space out of the link to use it. (anyone know how to embed links that don't get trashed ?)

If your other flip was for the OnePlus I'd like to hear more about that. I will try to put a review together for that flip case I am using now. Maybe in the next few days.

One other question about your Nillkin, does it have a fairly soft TPU base or is it a rigid plastic that might scratch when inserting and removing ?

jbudness likes this.
  16. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2014

The other flip case i had was the SlimArmor for Galaxy S4.. :(

It is a harder plastic that holds the phone in place..

That is where we ordered this case from is **********.. As far as the case your talking about, I see that it has the cups on there i dont think i would like that at all

tweazle likes this.
  17. tweazle
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2014

tweazle , Aug 24, 2014 :
    My "drizzle scratch" flip I have now does have ONE suction cup but my biggest complaint about it is how hard the shell body is. The suction cup is effective and does not leave a residue on the screen but it prevents the fuzzy micro fiber type stuff from contacting the screen fully. I might be able to pull the sucker off and I may try. Having a flip without a locking mechanism is not as bad as people think.

I will find out if the suction cups tend to lift the glass protectors off when my tempered glass arrives.
    I see that leather case has 2 suction cups so it will be 2 times as likely that could happen. Assuming you use the screen protectors.

18. tweazle
    Gingerbread Aug 24, 2014

tweazle , Aug 24, 2014 :
    Sorry your link got trashed by the OnePlus's guardian angel.

jbudness likes this.
  19. jbudness
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2014

Same place you linked the other case... Ali.

20. Agnes_ayres20
    Cupcake Aug 24, 2014